There's also the vive pro 2 for a little more cost, which suits larger heads and has speakers that rest on the ears. However, though it is sharp in the centre like G2, it's optics are disappointing due to fairly significant glare / god rays. The headset is quite bulky. 

At work I can access quest 1 & 2, rift s, vivepro 1 & 2, cosmos, and g2. For visual quality and weight, the G2 is the pick of them for me.

• Upvote 1

With 3rd party head straps the G2 is a pleasure to wear - certainly not front heavy which is good for longer flights ...

www.studioformcreative.com

• Upvote 1

i9 13900KF @ 5.5Ghz | MoBo MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB RS 64gb DDR4 3200MHz | PNY RTX 4090 XLR Gaming Verto EPIC-X RGB TF | MP33 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for OS | Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" 4TB SSD SATA2 | Corsair RM1000X 2021 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Antec Dark Fleet DF700 Flux Gaming Case | Win 11 home | LG 48" C2 OLED 4K TV | G512 Keyboard | Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse | TCA Throttle, Sidestick and addons, peddles, TM1600 Hotas | TrackIR 5 | Tobii Eye Tracker | HP Reverb G2 HMD

Doug 

Don't !!!  You'll look silly ! You''ll lost all authority if your pets, your children, your grandchildren ( if that's the case ), and sex appeal if your wife see you with that in Ya head !

These were invented to make simmers lifes even more hillarious to those who don't sim... 

😜

( just let me know your option and results if you ever end up buying one.... I've been resisting it for ages... 🙂 )

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

1 hour ago, vonduck said:

certainly not front heavy which is good for longer flights ...

seriously,

we VR fans just have to admit we are wearing ‘bricks’ on our heads,

just look at the Pimax, for example,

this is why I’m hoping for the ‘pancake’ lens solution from Project Cambria…

On 7/21/2022 at 6:53 AM, vonduck said:

With 3rd party head straps the G2 is a pleasure to wear - certainly not front heavy which is good for longer flights ...

www.studioformcreative.com

I have this for the face https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002938853126.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.21ef1802rTk4qn

Really a difference in sweating and hot in the googles, and my glasses with the thick one does not touch the G2 lenses as before.

There are others that are the same in there maybe cheaper depending the shops offers in the moment, do a search, or individual people that craft this themselves and maybe more quality than Aliexpress.

• Like 2

I'm mainly a GA flier, and use the G2 from the outset. I have a three screen setup, but never use it. 

To me, the immersion is most important. Also the ability to head track without a hat switch. Used track ir years ago, and it was good, but not the same. 

Flying low in a canyon, you look up at the peaks of mountains, and it is exhilarating when you find what you think is a low pass, and struggle to make it over the ridge. And if you need to back out, the sense of dread getting around and back out is real. 

In a nutshell, wherever I am, I am. 

• Like 1

Before you dive into VR be aware that it will ruin your 2d experience forever and that you will be dissapointed by the resolution and shimmering and things not looking good in the distance. But you will never go back, but the res will annoy you for sure.

I regret I didnt wait for the 3rd gen headset... Can never fly in 2d again, and everytime I fly in VR I just want it too look as good as 2d..

• Like 1

Hi,

I am in flight simulation since about 30 years. As you described, good graphics are very important for me too.

I started with VR quite early, with the 1st HTC Vive. Though I wouldnt have recommended this to ohters back then, I myself liked it.

Later I changed to Pimax5k, which was a big step and I was happy.

Due to the fact that Pimax is still not optimated to MSFS I got more techical proplems and some month ago I changed to HTC Vive Pro 2. I really love this. I love the clearity of the view an the POV is for me quite enough. Never had any technical issues. It seems to warmer, then the other devices I had before.

Since it became possible to fly in VR with P3d/MSFS I never wanted to do a single flight in 2d anymore. As above described it is something totally different to conventional flight simulating, it is very close to real flying! From me you get a big GO!

Greetings, Christoph

VR is hit or miss, but the experience is incredible at times.

There are 2 main problems I had with the Quest 2.
1) The lack of precise IPD adjustment, so unless your eyes are close to one of the 3 settings, then it will cause a LOT of eye strain.
2) The clarity of the image, it was really kind of blurred compared to the HP Reverb G2.

Now onto the issues with the HP Reverb G2...

The software on the HP Reverb G2 is absolutely horrid, but maybe you will have better luck than I am having. For instance, the refresh rate keeps "secretly resetting" to some obscenely low value and you get this terrible white flicker, so you have to go into Windows and go back and forth change from 90hz to 60hz and back to 90hz refresh before starting the game. Then I get blank black screens all the time when trying to load the headset into the game, so I have to close the Windows Mixed Reality and re-open. That said, my problems might be AMD Radeon specific (using 6900xt), though the G2 seemed to work fine. The frame rates are fine most of the time, but I am getting a lot of jitters, but I haven't really optimized the settings yet because of camera drift, I need to solve the camera issue first.

Once everything is working, it looks way clearer than the Quest 2 does, but the constant camera drift is currently making the G2 unusable for me (posted in forum about this if someone can help), and I end up outside the plane half the time. 

I wish the Quest 2 and HP Reverb would have a baby together, but no such luck...

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

1 hour ago, Alpine Scenery said:

the constant camera drift is currently making the G2 unusable for me (posted in forum about this if someone can help)

As mentioned here earlier, the constant G2 camera tracking issues were unsolvable for me. If you have bare walls near you, you could try putting up some pictures or just stick some large pieces of dark paper on the walls with painter's tape, to give the cameras some more geometry to track your surroundings. That didn't work for me, but good luck to you.  

8 hours ago, JacquesBrel said:

As mentioned here earlier, the constant G2 camera tracking issues were unsolvable for me. If you have bare walls near you, you could try putting up some pictures or just stick some large pieces of dark paper on the walls with painter's tape, to give the cameras some more geometry to track your surroundings. That didn't work for me, but good luck to you.  

Is there any method to completely disable the tracking?

I don't want the tracking, I just want a still position, I can always move the camera manually, or better yet install a head tracker and see if I can get one working in VR.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

32 minutes ago, Alpine Scenery said:

Is there any method to completely disable the tracking?

...Uh, sorry? Head tracking is the fundamental feature of Virtual Reality, where the experience of reality is basically that you can move your head and your view around freely in the virtual world. So no, I seriously doubt there is any way to disable that absolutely crucial VR feature.

My sympathies that the G2 head tracking is giving you such a bad experience. Unfortunately this is a common complaint from G2 users that the head tracking can be bad and hard to get working properly depending on the light and the surroundings in the room.

I understand it's supposed to be an essential feature, but that is no excuse not to be able to disable it when they know there are issues. If this many people have issues, they are aware. By disabling it, you could supplement it with a better device.

I solved the issue for the most part:

Tracking isn't too bad anymore, a few hiccups occasionally, more annoying is my refresh issue.

Yeah as mentioned earlier the G2 tracking cameras are not industry standard HDR cameras, just regular cameras with a standard dynamic range, so they don't work well in either very low light or very strong light.

I ran into that issue a few times with my G2 when I was sim racing in the evening as the sun was setting outside, and then later in the race when it was dark outside and dark in my room, the head tracking would suddenly go bananas in the middle of the race... Nedless to say, those few races didn't end well for me.