Sign in to follow this  
elee

Poor Performance with NVIDIA 4090

9 hours ago, David Mills said:

It's almost invariably the simmers with ultra high-end systems who report all the performance problems, because they overdo all their graphics settings by a mile, believing they shouldn't have to compromise after their expensive purchase.

What is overdone about the OP's settings? They even use DLSS instead of TAA.

Also, it's almost invariably the simmers with low-medium systems who have to pounce on these topics like vultures when they can't actually say anything to the point.

Edited by Ohmsquare
  • Like 4

I'll admit I was a bit harsh in my response, and not only that I agree that there is more than a potentially lacking PSU situation but failed to so state.  When replacing an AMD gcard with an Nvidia one really needs a DDU deep cleaning for the new card's video driver. 

If I got a 4090, as a matter course I'd get a PSU to match its full capability, especially considering for that level of monetary buy-in l don't want to leave any of that gcard's power unexploited, and that's coming from an owner of a 850w PSU...hence my above post. 

• Like 1

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

8 minutes ago, TheFamilyMan said:

I'll admit I was a bit harsh in my response, and not only that I agree that there is more than a potentially lacking PSU situation but failed to so state.  When replacing an AMD gcard with an Nvidia one really needs a DDU deep cleaning for the new card's video driver. 

If I got a 4090, as a matter course I'd get a PSU to match its full capability, especially considering for that level of monetary buy-in l don't want to leave any of that gcard's power unexploited, and that's coming from an owner of a 850w PSU...hence my above post. 

Seeing performance issues, I wiped my SSDs and came back with fresh software. But that's not it. I have opened a ticket with Nvidia and they confirm that I don't need the 4th connector if I don't have OC.

• Like 2

Eduardo Lee

(MROC)

1 minute ago, elee said:

Seeing performance issues, I wiped my SSDs and came back with fresh software. But that's not it. I have opened a ticket with Nvidia and they confirm that I don't need the 4th connector if I don't have OC.

Did you at least benchmark the system with the gpu and crosscheck to ensure the benchmark results are in line with expectations ?

3dmark perhaps ?

just to make sure that the gpu is working properly and the issue is not the hardware itself ?

• Upvote 4

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

You guys keep talking about the GPU. It seems clear to me that his problem is the CPU, not the GPU. 

Edited by Alvega
  • Like 2

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

I assume its the PSU, ( 1000 watt should be do it and connect all your Power cables, thats important ! ) or something could be wrong with other parts of your Hardware.. 

I also think it has nothing to do with your CPU at all.

cheers 😉

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

If the OP has already tried a driver sweep, then definitely what they need to do now is test their set up with another game that has benchmarks readily available with the 4090 and/or use 3D Mark TimeSpy (which is free from what I recall). As most other 'games' are less CPU intensive, by doing this, he can confirm for sure if it is likely the CPU or GPU that's underperforming. It is also possible that he could have a bad GPU.

Failing all that, a reinstall of windows might be necessary to really be sure no software is causing the issue. If it still acts up, I'd try the old GPU again to confirm everything is working as expected with that (to rule out a CPU or any other non-GPU related issue that may have coincidently happened during the transition to the new GPU even if unlikely).

It's a real head scratcher. And as @pmplayer wrote above, if may very well be the PSU. On a scale of likelihood, that's probably the most likely.

Edited by steve310002

Put MSFS aside, do you have any other games where you can run the internal benchmark and compare it against the many YouTube videos that are now starting to appear.

for example assassins creed games, shadow of the tomb raider, F1 2022 etc etc

id also run 3D mark, as a couple others have suggested too

Can you get back to us with those results, it will prove if you have a hardware fault or setup issue with your rig. If your card runs other AAA games on a par with your peers on YT then we can turn our attention to MSFS

bang4buck YouTuber - he’s one fella who regularly posts in game performance scores.

Edited by hanhamreds
  • Like 1

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir

13 hours ago, David Mills said:

It's almost invariably the simmers with ultra high-end systems who report all the performance problems,

I agree.

6 hours ago, elee said:

I just did AI Overclocking and it has reached 5.3Mhz. Same test, same result. By the way, I'm on SU11 Beta with DLSS 3.0 and Nvidia 522.25 driver and also DX12 beta with DLSS enabled in MSFS.

Have you tried running in DX11, just for comparison? SU11 is in Beta, as is DX12, and I've seen some reports on performance issues with DX12 and SU11 Beta. Normally DX12 should help reduce the CPU load, but there might be issues in certain situations with SU11. 

Also try to run 3DMark - in the Time Spy Extreme, a 4090 should get you a GPU score at around 19000-20000. This is to confirm whether or not you have general issues with your GPU due to the PSU. The basic version is sufficient, it can be downloaded for free on Steam.

But keep in mind that MSFS is really CPU heavy. Even with my 5800X3D I run into CPU limit occasionally at big airports with terrain LOD 200, even though my GPU is a bit underpowered (looking to replace it once the full next-gen lineup is released by both AMD and Nvidia). It depends a lot on where I am, on the scenery, the add-ons used, the aircraft, the altitude, the weather, so it isn't straight-forward to benchmark consistently.

Edited by pstrub
  • Like 1

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

1 hour ago, Ricardo41 said:
15 hours ago, David Mills said:

It's almost invariably the simmers with ultra high-end systems who report all the performance problems,

I agree.

Gosh, some people on here really have a bee in their bonnet. It's nothing to do with whether he has a 4090 or 3060, the OP has a basic issue causing a huge degradation in performance, which instead of passing some kind of moral judgement on his purchasing habits, you could try to help.

• Like 8

Whatever the reason for the OP's performance problems, it isn't a great start to pair a 4090 with a CPU running at only 3.5 Ghz.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

For everyone with disappointing performance using their 4090 :

I am prepared to exchange the card for one of my superfast 3090s. But only if you pay me $ 500 / € 500 extra ….. 🤠

No issues and high fps guaranteed…..

• Like 4

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

18 hours ago, elee said:

Windows

- version 11 Home with daily updates

- Game Mode = OFF

- Virtual memory enabled as per recommended guides

Game Mode = OFF ???

Not related to your questions, but is this the consensus nowadays? And why so?

BTW. Is there any consensus on settings in MSFS2020 anyway at all? I remember in FSX there was pretty much consensus on best general settings.
I'm still struggling to find out all the best general settings everybody agrees on, but there's so much differing information on the internet and i'm just not enough knowledgeable about modern day hard and software anymore, lol, i'm lagging behind, signs of getting older.
But serious question though.

Edited by Wildblue

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus | Intel Core i9-10900K @ 5.3GHz | 64GB Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 | 500 GB M.2 NVMe for win | 2TB M.2 NVMe for FS2020 | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog

Eric from EHAM, a flying Dutchman.

16 hours ago, Maxis said:

hmm i personally wouldn't have done it but ok .. 

I personally would NEVER buy the top tier NVIDIA GPU at release. They are always insanely overpriced.