Sign in to follow this  
ZKOKQ

XEnviro For MSFS Released

26 minutes ago, Doering said:

XP clouds sneak into the mix again!

Back up a few pages...it was the M$F$ fans that did that!

Granted, Xenviro is/was a well known XP dev....so there's that too.

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...

3 hours ago, BobFS88 said:

For the 9000 times  X Plane 12 is in beta so the numbers are expected to be small. But when you look at look a 2 year released of MSFS they dropped from 61,829 to 8,362 peak use is nothing to be proud of either. We already know steam charts doesn't not tell the whole story and doesn't prove your point.

What's your definition of beta?

Did you pay full price for it?

Is it being actively updated?

Then isn't MSFS also in beta?

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, blingthinger said:

I concur.

Nice subjective twist of my words. I'll gladly take XP12's sometimes wonky shapes in the beta version over Asobo's frequently absurdly dark and grey cloud blobs (think volcanic eruptions and nuclear fallout) any day.

What IS a joke, is the fact that Asobo is still making such significant changes to the weather visualization after so much time and so much investment $$. Resource$ vs. resource$, LR is far more impressive. But that's a side note.

I don't know how to say this nicely, so I guess I'll just be candid.

XP 12 clouds are very bad. They are blurry, and the cloud shapes are sometimes very weird. Even if the weird clouds shapes are fixed, the XP 12 clouds are still very blurry.

Even Ben Supnick from LR tacitly acknowledges the issues with XP 12 clouds:

Major Areas of Work

Here are some of the major areas of work ahead of us:

Clouds – we are working on the shaping and quality of clouds, improving resolution, fixing artifacts, and improving performance. Clouds are probably the single most expensive part of the renderer, so they are a constant tug-of-war between quality and speed.

The reason why XP 12 clouds are so blurry is because, as Ben Supnick points out above, the XP 12 clouds are eating a lot of FPS, so LR likely kept the quality of the XP 12 clouds set to the level it is now, to help with the FPS in XP 12.

You can give XP 12 another five years and at the current rate of improvement by LR, IMO, it still probably won't match the quality of MSFS clouds.  A lot of work needs to be done on XP 12 clouds. A lot of work.  At least Ben Supnick acknowledges this.  But if you think XP clouds are great, all the more power to you.

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 5

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

So.. I Think what most people here are looking for is

1. Historical Weather

2. realistic Cloud depictions with correct winds, pressure, temps

3 A realistic and gradual implementation of transitions from one weather event to the next

Does this program deliver based on the promo teaser vid ?

Absolutely not.

1 The video does not demonstrate how the historical WX system works

2 The video shows cloud depictions but are not referenced to the prevailing metar so we have no idea what we are looking at and what metar was in effect

3 Not one instance of a weather transition is shown in the video

I don't get on with Ricardo on most things .. but if your going to come on here to tell us about a product then yes .. please put a link in.

IF you have a product with a unique feature demonstrate it please. And if you don't have everything what a potential customer is looking for at least show why its different than the current implementation.

For me at least this is a hard pass. MSFS is good enough and Devs have to show why i should be interested in purchasing their product.

• Like 4

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

32 minutes ago, blingthinger said:

Asobo's frequently absurdly dark and grey cloud blobs

I'll take that over the absolutely trash looking, low rez clouds on offer in your favorite sim. XP12 has clouds that often look like hot air balloons. Storm fronts look like molar teeth in a row. XP12 clouds look horrible way more often than what you described in MSFS lol. You seem to blindly support anything to do with XP. You're making excuses for XP12 clouds and now you're making excuses for a dev that has made an inferior product who happened to develop exclusively for XP11 lol.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

3 hours ago, BobFS88 said:

For the 9000 times  X Plane 12 is in beta so the numbers are expected to be small. But when you look at look a 2 year released of MSFS they dropped from 61,829 to 8,362 peak use is nothing to be proud of either. We already know steam charts doesn't not tell the whole story and doesn't prove your point.

In my opinion, this has to do with the fact that msfs was a new shiny toy in the beginning.  Most people were just trying it out because it was there and never experienced a flight sim.  Most of these new people will get bored quickly of flight simming.  Only the hardcore people remain now.  The numbers still show were most people like to fly at the end of the day.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, omarsmak30 said:

The comments here, just shows many of us are not stupid to throw $$$ at Magnus due to the xE's history. Q8Pilot has screwed himself, big times. Unsubscribed  

So it backfired and Q8Pilot has removed the video from his YT channel, his reply to one of the comment before he deleted the video:

I am not sap for xEnviro or any other developer. I have niether praised nor put this product down. I am here to show you the product. If you like it, get it. If you don't then don't. I have attempted to show you the good, bad and ugly int his product and nowhere in the live stream did I say that I recommend this product, endorse it, or that it gets my approval. It was a first look at the product which I did with all of you. There are a few good things to say about it and some really bad things that needs addressing. I hope this clears the waters.

Edited by omarsmak30
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

50 minutes ago, 2reds2whites said:

What's your definition of beta?

Did you pay full price for it?

Is it being actively updated?

Then isn't MSFS also in beta?

1) My definition has not change from what a  beta is.

2) Since I pay for it, still does not change its status 

3) Still does not change its status one way or the other.

4) If you and Microsoft wants to change the definition of what a beta is than that's on you and them, last I check they declare it as a full release going thru constant updates. That's different from what LR declared.

Edited by BobFS88
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, tgsweat said:

The numbers still show were most people like to fly at the end of the day.  

My point is that those numbers only show what users are doing on stream. Those are not representative of the entire X Plane market who many do not venture on Steam to use X plane. As manner for fact it's hardly an leading indicator. If you really want to get a pulse of the users community, you have look at the Xplane.org to get a better feel for the market.  Even Microsoft wouldn't depend on those numbers from steam as an indicator of their market compared to other AAA games.

Edited by BobFS88
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ricardo41 said:

Q8Pilot's videos used to be solid. These days seemed to be history. Unsubcribed. 

Same road that the other fellow went who used to live in the USA and ended up back in the U.K. I forget his name now. Froogle sim that was it! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Krakin said:

a significant amount of them use Steam and those numbers can be used as a sample to get some insight into what's going on with the market share.

And how would you know that since you are not part of that community. A significant number of user don't use steam and prefer to get it directly from LR which is why you see an larger presence. How I know because I am part of that community. You can make up what ever want doesn't make so.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

Q8Pilot's videos used to be solid. These days seemed to be history. Unsubcribed. 

In the vast majority of cases quantity destroys quality! The fact the video was pulled tells it all! Clearly not truthful in the content.  Call it bias or not describing the complete picture, intentional or not - the lure to push another product was created in this video. Why these guys don't take a step back to do things properly with rigour!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Krakin said:

You seem to blindly support anything to do with XP. You're making excuses for XP12 clouds and now you're making excuses for a dev that has made an inferior product who happened to develop exclusively for XP11 lol.

Not really. My eyes are generally open when I get a window seat. Also, I don't mind knowing that various federal aviation authorities around the world disagree with your general assessments about the XP environment simulation.

I would love to see LR open up cloud geometry in the SDK. I think it would be fun to play around with. 

Also, you are being lazy again, but we expect that after your confession. I was very clear a bit ago about my opinions on Xenviro:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/625686-xenviro-for-msfs-released/?do=findComment&comment=4863906

That said, which would you prefer? Historical weather? Live? It sounds like xenviro in M$F$ sets a static and global weather setting. Maybe I missed a prior post. That would definitely be awkward for long distance travel.

Edited by blingthinger
  • Like 1

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...

2 hours ago, blingthinger said:

Nice subjective twist of my words. I'll gladly take XP12's sometimes wonky shapes in the beta version over Asobo's frequently absurdly dark and grey cloud blobs (think volcanic eruptions and nuclear fallout) any day.

LR will never get the clouds to look right. Three men in a shed just can't do it. And at every attempt performance will get worse and worse and worse. Just like all the cloud addons I bought for XP11 which tanked my FPS unless I could put up with a miserable puddle of a draw distance. 

Edited by jarmstro
  • Like 4