Sign in to follow this  
Cavemanhead

Best storage setup for FS2020

Per subject...  What is the best way to set up drives for a new PC.  My assumption is that a very fast 2TB drive with the OS and FS2020 (and any other programs) I want to run is going to be faster than other "dedicated" drives.  Thoughts? 

• Upvote 1

You are now in the appropriate forum for questions!

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Depending on what other programs you run alongside the Windows OS, you might run out of space. Many on Avsim are running a 1TB dedicated just to MSFS.

There will be other opinions but what I would do is keep Windows and other Apps on a single drive , either 500GB or 1 TB and have a second 1TB drive reserved exclusively for MSFS.

This will not be any slower that a single drive as long as both are equally fast as the single drive.

Regardless the route you take, put MSFS in a custom location. Do not choose the default. Something simple like C:\MSFS2020

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

I never install anything else on my OS drive in case I need to reinstall it from a backup.  And MSFS will be massive anyway, much bigger than Windows.

I save the C drive purely for Windows, MS Office, and a few prime apps I use.  About 120GB.  I store my backups and place my downloads folder on a 1TB spinner.

Flightsim is on my F drive.

You could get a fast 2TB NVMe drive, and partition it to get the best of both words.

Say 200GB for Windows and your programs, and the rest for Flightsim.  I have done this before and it works well.

• Like 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Hello,

Using one NVMe drive 2 TB will be faster than using 2 NVMe drives, 1 TB (same total capacity)

More info HERE for example, as you will find this info on other websites !

Edited by ctdlg

Not sure that MSFS needs to be on a "Superfast" NVMe drive... Windows yes.

I like to keep MSFS on its own drive, just to keep things nice and tidy.

That way, you can back up a drive if needed..

Bert

47 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Not sure that MSFS needs to be on a "Superfast" NVMe drive... Windows yes.

I like to keep MSFS on its own drive, just to keep things nice and tidy.

That way, you can back up a drive if needed..

The fast drive helps with loading the sim Bert.  Especially on start-up when it scans the community and official folders for all of the addons. 

Also, some of the aircraft folders are 2 or 3 gig.  An NVME drive will be around 10 times quicker than an old spinner, and 5 times quicker than a standard SSD, and that is being conservative. 
My current Samsung 2TB can read at over 7000MB/s - basically 7GB per second.

You are bang on about Windows being on its own drive or partition.  Helps with backups (less to back up obviously), and a quicker reinstall if needed.

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

1 hour ago, bobcat999 said:

The fast drive helps with loading the sim Bert.  Especially on start-up when it scans the community and official folders for all of the addons. 

Fast is good, for sure.. "superfast" may not make a real difference.. eg 2 TB vs 2X1 TB. 😉

• Like 1

Bert

3 hours ago, wim123 said:

i always partition, one for the os stuff and rest for games, progs etc.

I never partition. You always end up with one partition being too small so you have to rearrange things. It also hardly helps if you need to reinstall the OS: a physically seperate drive is much better in that case.
If you must have a seperate drive letter to keep things organised it is much easier to assign a drive letter to a folder, say F: = C:\Games\MSFS\ using the subst command.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

5 hours ago, Cavemanhead said:

Per subject...  What is the best way to set up drives for a new PC.  My assumption is that a very fast 2TB drive with the OS and FS2020 (and any other programs) I want to run is going to be faster than other "dedicated" drives.  Thoughts? 

I've got a 2TB m.2 for MSFS.  The Samsung 980 pros were on sale not sure of their price now.

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I have a 1tb NVMe just for the simulator.  The OS has its own drive with other apps.

10700kf, 3080 nividia, 32gbs 3400mhz, 1,000 watts power, M.2 DVMe !tb, boot, 1tb 7200rpm, storage, windows 10 home

I use two Nvme's. 1 500GB for OS, and 1 2TB for MSFS,AIG and other addons.

Edited by pilotter

Rig Specs; CPU AMD Ryzen 7950X3d, GPU AMD Liquid Red Devil 7900XTX 24GB,  Memory 32GB 2x8 3000 CL30, WD-SN850 Black 500 GB, WD-SN850 Black  2TB, Asus MoBo X670E D Hero, Be Quit Straight power 1200 Watt platinum. 18 Noctua fans , Aquacomputer Octo tempsensores, yes I am a PC freak.

watercooled 2 x360 rads noctua's push pull EKWB blocks for GPU and CPU 

Screen LG 34GN850-B  with freesync premium     

How would you guys design the following setup? I have:

1 TB SSD nvme 3.400 MB/s

500 GB SSD (normal ssd speed)

2 TB SSD nvme 5.150 MB/s (ordered on black friday)

Should I put MSFS on the 2 TB or 1TB? I actually had intend to use the new SSD for video / photo editing and storage. But I wouldn't need the speed of the new 2 TB SSD but the space. For Windows/MSFS I think I could benefit of the speed but don't need that much space of 2TB. How to solve this best?

Yep I use the Samsung 980 Pro for FS only.... the 2TB is ok (for now! ) 🙂  

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU