Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

January 19th, 2023, MSFS Development Update

Posted by: Microsoft Flight Simulator Team

A glider flies overtop a mountain observatory, lit by the morning light.

Screenshot by ukaka5656 (Twitter)

Beta testing of Aircraft & Avionics Update 1 (AAU1) continues with the release of a new build (1.30.12.0) earlier this week. In case you missed it, you can read the release notes here.

Our next developer livestream is scheduled for Wednesday, February 1. Unlike previous Q&A sessions, this stream will have a specific focus on Missions, Localization, Points of Interest, Airports, and World Update 12: New Zealand. If you have questions about any of those topics you’d like to see answered by our usual panel of Jorg, Seb, and Martial, please respond to the forum topic here.

And speaking of livestreams, join us next Wednesday, January 25 for a Reno Air Racing exhibition show-match featuring several of your favourite flight sim Twitch and YouTube personalities. They’ll be competing in multiple T-6, Biplane, Unlimited, and Jet class races, and we expect plenty of banter and smack talk among our competitors. We will also be giving away a Tobii Eye Tracker 5 to one lucky viewer, so be sure to tune in for your chance to win! The races start at 3pm ET / noon PT / 2000Z on our official Twitch channel. For more information, check out our forum thread for the event!

Finally, to all our fans who celebrate the Lunar New Year, we wish you peace, luck, and good fortune in the upcoming Year of the Rabbit! 🐇

MSFS Team

Development Update Banner

DEVELOPMENT ROADMAP & FEEDBACK SNAPSHOT

A new Development Roadmap and Feedback Snapshot will be available in an upcoming Development Update.

MARKETPLACE UPDATE

Click here for the web-friendly version of the Marketplace Update.

There are 23 new and 41 updated products in the Marketplace today. Marketplace updates generally go live on Thursdays between the release of this blog post and 5pm PT.

23 NEW PRODUCTS: 13 ON PC, 10 ON XBOX
737-700 by PMDG Simulations. USD 69.99

New on PC

B-206 by FlyInside Inc. USD 37.99

New on PC

Goliath by REDWING. USD 29.99

New on PC

Schweizer300 by Mscenery. USD 15.99

New on PC and Xbox

Guimbal Cabri G2 Countries Livery Pack by 4Simmers. USD 4.99

New on PC and Xbox

Airliner Missions - Asia-Pacific- 787 Edition by Sim Federation. USD 5.99

New on PC and Xbox

Israel Scenic World by SamScene3D. USD 10.99

New on PC and Xbox

Prague Night Enhanced by DreamScenery. USD 9.99

New on PC and Xbox

Providence Night Enhanced by DreamScenery. USD 9.99

New on PC and Xbox

Traffic in Sight - Midwest USA by South Oak Co. USD 6.99

New on PC and Xbox

9NM9 Spaceport America by UK2000 Scenery. USD 7.49

New on PC and Xbox

EGAC Belfast City by UK2000 Scenery. USD 14.99

New on PC and Xbox

LEGE Girona Airport by MK-STUDIOS. USD 14.99

New on PC and Xbox

41 UPDATED PRODUCTS: 21 ON PC, 20 ON XBOX
A-10 Thunderbolt by Mscenery. USD 14.99

Updated on PC and Xbox

Airbus A318ceo by lvfr. USD 17.99

Updated on PC and Xbox

Constellation by REDWING. USD 48.99

Updated on PC

EA-7 Edgley Optica by Got Friends. USD 19.99.

Updated on PC and Xbox

G39 Griffin by DeimoS Inc. USD 19.99 (-20% from USD 24.99)

Updated on PC and Xbox

M20R Ovation by Carenado. USD 19.99

Updated on PC and Xbox

PC12 by Carenado. USD 24.99

Updated on PC and Xbox

New Cockpit A310 by rmstudios. USD 4.99

Updated on PC and Xbox

Airliner Missions - Asia-Pacific by Sim Federation. USD 11.99

Updated on PC and Xbox

Airliner Missions - Europe by Sim Federation. USD 11.99

Updated on PC and Xbox

Airliner Missions - Latin America by Sim Federation. USD 11.99

Updated on PC and Xbox

Airliner Missions - Middle East and Africa by Sim Federation. USD 11.99

Updated on PC and Xbox

Airliner Missions - North America by Sim Federation. USD 11.99

Updated on PC and Xbox

Hungary West Pack by LHSimulations. USD 16.99

Updated on PC and Xbox

Traffic in Sight - Midwest USA by South Oak Co. USD 6.99

Updated on PC and Xbox

Traffic in Sight - Southeast USA by South Oak Co. USD 6.99

Updated on PC and Xbox

DTTA Tunis Carthage Airport by Prealsoft. USD 15.99

Updated on PC and Xbox

FATP New Tempe Airport by NMG Simulations. USD 4.99

Updated on PC and Xbox

FAVG Virginia Airport by NMG Simulations. USD 12.99

Updated on PC

GCFV Fuerteventura Airport by MK-STUDIOS. USD 16.49

Updated on PC and Xbox

PAKT Ketchikan International Airport by Northern Sky Studio. USD 17.99

Updated on PC and Xbox

banner-1.svg

COMMUNITY FLY-IN

This weekend marks the start of the Lunar New Year! In the Chinese zodiac, the upcoming year is the Year of the Rabbit, and to commemorate this holiday, we will be flying across two Southeast Asia countries who celebrate the Chinese New Year, Malaysia and Singapore! Our flight will see us visit some beautiful and well-known buildings including the Petronas Twin Towers in Kuala Lumpur and the Marina Bay Sands in Singapore.

Event details are available here. All are welcome to participate!

Community Fly-In: Year of the Rabbit. Friday, January 20th at 2000Z. Watch at Twitch.tv/msfsofficial.

COMMUNITY VIDEO

Asobo went to extraordinary lengths to ensure that Microsoft Flight Simulator plays great on a gamepad, but for those sim pilots who really want the highest sense of immersion and realism, we know a gamepad is no substitute for proper flight controls like a stick or yoke, throttle, and rudder pedals.

What if there was a new kind of gamepad that was designed from the ground up specifically for flight simulation, though? That’s the promise of the upcoming Yawman Arrow, a new gamepad currently in development and expected to launch later this year. FSElite recently got hands-on time with a prototype version of the Yawman Arrow and shared their impressions. What were their thoughts on this upcoming product? Check out the video to find out!

SCREENSHOT CHALLENGE

You can submit your screenshot via Twitter with #MSFSchallenge or the Weekly Forum Post! This week’s screenshot challenge: Year of the Rabbit

This past month our Screenshot Challenge was Good Morning“.

A beachfront property with a nice view of the sunrise. An airliner comes in for a low landing in the background.

Screenshot by 2525ARW (Twitter)

A plane flies over the mountains, lit pink and red by the sun rise.

Screenshot by avaritiax4034 (Forum)

A red plane sits parked while the sun rises behind it in the distance.

Screenshot by AvionChibi (Twitter)

A front view of a large airplane on a wet tarmac. The sun rises in the distance behind it.

Screenshot by bavcit (Twitter)

An image of the cockpit of a plane, with the sunrise visible outside the windows.

Screenshot by BritishAvgk (Forum)

The morning sun shines through the cockpit of a parked helicopter.

Screenshot by ccrbc (Forum)

A plane flies above fluffy clouds towards the morning sun rise.

Screenshot by CplPhokett (Forum)

A tall tower rises up, with a plane visible high in the blue cloudy sky above it.

Screenshot by Johnny_aircargo (Twitter)

A plane flies towards the camera over a cyan ocean, lit at its back by the rising sun.

Screenshot by pommes_l (Twitter)

A plane is silhouetted as it flies towards the golden horizon, lit by the sunrise.

Screenshot by ZILLNIAZI17 (Forum)

NEXT DEVELOPMENT BLOG UPDATE – January 26th, 2023

Sincerely,

Microsoft Flight Simulator Team

Edited by David Mills
  • Like 13
  • Upvote 1

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

Well @David Mills looks like you get your first 🌲. Apparently @ChaoticBeauty has left the building or hasn’t had a chance to post the weekly Thursday updates anymore. Maybe he got tired of it? Now we just need to figure out how to format the posts like he used to.

• Like 3

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

17 minutes ago, cmpbellsjc said:

Now we just need to figure out how to format the posts

With the upcoming WU12 New Zealand, I think David shrewdly themed his post in deference to the All Blacks.  It all read well for me and I appreciate the people taking the time to bring these updates to Avsim.

• Like 4

Regards, Kendall

Oh look, the screenshot winner of the week is showing a wonderful Google photogrammetry rip!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, cmpbellsjc said:

Well @David Mills looks like you get your first 🌲. Apparently @ChaoticBeauty has left the building or hasn’t had a chance to post the weekly Thursday updates anymore. Maybe he got tired of it? Now we just need to figure out how to format the posts like he used to.

He got too many Pines and moved to Admiral ranks 😊

• Like 2

8 hours ago, cmpbellsjc said:

I've always greatly appreciated @ChaoticBeauty's posts. But trying to reproduce them in his absence gives me a new depth of appreciation for his work. I do realize that my post looks a bit "off." But the post you see now is the result of about ten different edits to my original. You might think that copying the Asobo post is simply a matter of copy and paste. It unfortunately isn't that easy -- at least for me. I bet I tried for thirty minutes just to remove the extra spacing at the top. I'm honestly stunned that all the links appear to work. 🙂

• Like 9

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

@David Mills Thanks for taking the time to post it. Sorry if my reply to you came across wrong, I wasn’t complaining.

I understand it’s hard to format it like Chaotic did. If I could figure it out I’d have posted it myself. Maybe it’s easier from a computer rather than a phone or tablet, don’t know. I rarely use a computer to access the net.

• Like 1

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

On the update itself: I'm a bit disappointed to read the next Q&A will be limited to Missions, POIs, and stuff. WU 12 is okay (and I'm thrilled to learn about it), but otherwise I am afraid there are more urgent topics to worry about, only to name ATC and AI traffic.

On this one, it may have gone unnoticed yet, but according to the Official Forum, Just Flight intends to release FS Traffic yet in January.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/just-flights-fs-traffic-for-msfs/483599/325

And, if their representation is right, it will come with less fps hit than the MSFS native traffic (both, live and scheduled).

Kind regards, Michael

Edited by pmb
  • Like 2

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

2 minutes ago, pmb said:

On the update itself: I'm a bit disappointed to read the next Q&A will be limited to Missions, POIs, and stuff. WU 12 is okay (and I'm thrilled to learn about it), but otherwise I am afraid there are more urgent topics to worry about, only to name ATC and AI traffic.

Or..maybe just maybe they are trying to avoid these hot topics...(?)

14 hours ago, cmpbellsjc said:

Maybe he got tired of it?

I can certainly understand that. These development updates are more (beta) update updates and marketplace updates.

How about an update on actual development?! Ranging from the earlier stages of development to the final release. Let's take ATC and AI. What are they talking about? What are some of the challenges, who's working on it, timeframe? Teaser... It would be really interesting to follow that progress in great detail. 🤪

Mike...

Hmm, No more development road maps anymore? At first, I thought they were just missing because of the time off everyone was taking during the Holidays now I'm not so sure. They've been missing in the weekly updates for a month now.   🧙‍♂️ POOF! They're gone. 🧙‍♂️

Edited by Bob_D

On 1/20/2023 at 8:32 AM, cmpbellsjc said:

Apparently @ChaoticBeauty has left the building or hasn’t had a chance to post the weekly Thursday updates anymore.

17 hours ago, David Mills said:

I've always greatly appreciated @ChaoticBeauty's posts. But trying to reproduce them in his absence gives me a new depth of appreciation for his work.

Besides the fact that the development blog updates are now posted extremely late in my time zone (between 2:00 and 4:00 AM), the last few months I've been distracted with urgent matters that need my attention, and consequently I don't have nearly as much time to fly in MSFS or keep up with its news and community anymore. I'll also admit that these weekly updates do not interest me anymore, it's been over three months since the Development Roadmap and Feedback Snapshot were last updated, so there's not much in there for me. Until I got e-mails notifying me that I was paged in this thread I had forgotten that they exist even. 😄

15 hours ago, cmpbellsjc said:

Maybe it’s easier from a computer rather than a phone or tablet, don’t know. I rarely use a computer to access the net.

Very likely yes. I couldn't imagine doing this on a phone, but then I find web browsing on the phone a chore myself so it might be easier for others.

I really appreciate the effort from others to continue where I left off, and later I will be sending David a PM with some formatting tips that may help. With a couple of important steps it is not too difficult, just a little bit tedious especially when the post has lots of sections.

• Like 17
  • Upvote 2

@ChaoticBeauty.  It just shows what type of person you are to come on here to explain when you don't have to, but it is good to know you are still about.

I am just grateful for what you did, and the amount of time you did it. 
Also grateful for some of the enlightening commentary, and logical thinking on some of the matters in MSFS, especially to do with graphics. 

Thanks for what you did, and I hope you are not having a rough time!  

• Like 13

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

22 minutes ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

it's been over three months since the Development Roadmap and Feedback Snapshot were last updated, so there's not much in there for me.

Thank you for coming in, @ChaoticBeauty. I can share your impressions. Taking the time for such laborious postings is fun as long as there's substance and fascination in them.  It's time to move on, if you got the impression, they're becoming an empty shell.

Still looking forward to your contributions on he forum being always well-thought and worth reading.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

On the roadmap thing, it seems they are trying to avoid general conversation on this at the moment. (Even the upcoming twitch session is locked down to questions on specific subjects).

It might be because every time they say they will do something, and it doesn't quite turn out right, or takes longer than peoples expectations, they get panned for it!  So they have stopped setting themselves up for this. (I don't blame them!)

And also, it might be because they are adding three 'surprises' to the sim this year, and they may want to avoid endless questions about that.

It is always nice to see a roadmap, but personally, as long as the sim keeps moving forward, I won't get bent out of shape about it. 
We are getting this sim improved month after month, and I know it isn't always to people's individual expectations, but it is without any extra cost - people seem to forget that.  We had just two updates for FSX from Microsoft - that was it!

I know I have been critical in the past, mainly when they break things in the sim during updates, but with the new beta program, that does seem to have improved a lot.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 4

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.