Sign in to follow this  
MalcolmDaFoxtrot

Is XP still worth mantaining in 2023

A general answer to a general question: yes, it is worth maintaining if it suits your needs, if not look elsewhere. I figure a lot of folks lurking these forums (I mean Avsim in general) maintain more then one sim for various reasons. Simmers appear to be needy people.

Edited by Rimshot
  • Like 1

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

19 hours ago, MalcolmDaFoxtrot said:

Im a flight simmer who hasnt been posting or hell made a account and today I wanted to ask the question

is mantaining XP as a sim (buying addons etc) worth it?

So just because you don't use it, then it must be obsolete.

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

I bought XP12 not long after it came out when Steam was having a sale. I own XP 11 and really enjoyed it. I don't know if it's because I have the Steam version but I have a lot of crashing issues especially on initial loading. I don't know if getting the download version would make a difference or not.

NAX669.png

26 minutes ago, mwilk said:

I bought XP12 not long after it came out when Steam was having a sale. I own XP 11 and really enjoyed it. I don't know if it's because I have the Steam version but I have a lot of crashing issues especially on initial loading. I don't know if getting the download version would make a difference or not.

Any addons? Have you checked the crash log?

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

19 hours ago, MalcolmDaFoxtrot said:

Making a assumption? MSFS does sastify me, I own over 300 dollars of addons for FS2020 alone, Last time I heavily used XP12/11 was from late april to late may, I was just asking a question..smh yall get so pressed

If you used XP12 between the end of April and the end of May it means you had a whole month to test and fly it.
One month is more than enough to understand if you like this simulator or not. 🙂
Buying a flight simulator… whatever it is… is always a personal matter.
It should not be others who tell you "buy this", but you must decide which simulator you prefer, and you must prefer it based only on your research, and without listening too much to user comments.
Remember one thing well: our comments will always be "spoiled" and not always reliable.
If you go to the MSFS forum and ask "recommend this sim?", what do you expect to hear?
Everyone will recommend it to you! 
The same thing happens on the XP or P3D forum - everyone will recommend "their" simulator to you.
So my advice is not to listen to too many bells, do your own personal research and try to understand through your research which simulator is the BEST for your tastes and needs. 😉

To be clear, I've always flown with XP since version 9, and overall it's a simulator that I liked for a whole series of reasons that I won't explain to you.
If today I had to ask myself the same question as you, I would answer to myself: "No, now I won't buy XP12"😒
Motivation?
XP12 has some bugs that I don't like at all, and until they are fixed I will never buy this sim!
However this is not a valid motivation for you.
That's a valid reason for me.
But not for you!
That's why I suggest you don't pay too much attention to what you are told on the various forums.
Do your personal research YOURSELF if you want to know the good and bad sides of simulators, don't let anyone influence you. 👍

• Upvote 1

* FS2004 Supersky * ( Atmo Ambient Environment addon) creator.
* XP11 atmoXphere * (
Atmo Ambient Environment addon ) creator.
XP12.0.8 * with ACT (A
mbient Corrector Tweek ).

[Pc intel i3-4160 3.6ghz, 8gb ram, GeForce RTX-3060 12gb, Win10 Home 64bit]

For me, no, it’s not worth it. I used xp10 and 11 for years when p3d didn’t seem to have much of a future. After msfs, I rarely touch xplane. Graphics are in a different era, flight model for the high quality planes is excellent and aircraft selection is at a great point now with regular new aircraft coming out. In not too long about every airliner that flies will have a high quality payware option or default, except maybe A340 which afaik isn’t planned yet. There’s also plenty of scenery. I’m struggling to see how X-Plane will really gain any users from this point on instead of just losing users or active playing time with more and more devs focusing exclusively on msfs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, efis007 said:

If you go to the MSFS forum and ask "recommend this sim?", what do you expect to hear?
Everyone will recommend it to you! 
The same thing happens on the XP or P3D forum - everyone will recommend "their" simulator to you.

Agreed.

It is like going to a Honda Dealership and asking them if you should get a Honda vehicle. The answer will always be "Yes". Don't listen to sales pitches. Test drive for yourself and come to your own conclusions.

I did go to get my car windshield repaired once and the worker whispered to me that I'd be better off going down the road to the competition though.

Flight Sim PC - OS: Windows 11 Pro. CPU: i9-13900K.  RAM: 64GB. GPU: NVidia RTX 4090 OC
Flight Sim Xbox - Seriex X, 3TB

And ...,   I  do not know 😉 
Personally, for me XP12 is lying and waiting for better times (already half a year). Certain aspects of the new XP12 are excellent, but all in all, using VR and my modest hardware setup - the XP12 is currently unflyable (ie, flyable but not fun).
MSFS - is an era ahead when it comes to visuals, but not a week goes by that I don't try to love MSFS - unfortunately, in the long run, to no avail. Even the best ($$$) models in MSFS do not give such satisfaction and the feeling of "realness" of flight physics that I have in XP.
So I still have more fun flying in my polished XP11 with nice clouds (albeit 2D) and lots of extras (both free, paid and own) - but unfortunately, in XP11 you can already feel its archaic imagery of the surrounding world, atmosphere, weather, lighting, etc.
Seemingly perfect times for flight simulation enthusiasts, but in fact there is (for me) missing one and only platform with which I would be 100% satisfied 😉😉😉 

Buy XP12 for $70. See where Laminar will take it as it has a few years of shelf life left. One-time investment.

Then get Zibo's 737, SimHeaven's X-World sceneries, LiveTraffic, maybe generate some ortho sceneries. All freeware, all excellent, thus no monetary investment risk.

Maybe spend $15 on X-ATC-Chatter as its SimpleATC utility is still better than default ATC for IFR.

That should make for a base configuration.

Edited by Bjoern
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

31 minutes ago, Bjoern said:

Buy XP12 for $70. See where Laminar will take it as it has a few years of shelf life left.

I don't think that is a good sales pitch honestly. If someone tells me to buy any product and see where things go, I'd be more than a little skeptical. It sounds like uncertainty to me.

As a smart consumer, I would say always try before you buy if possible. That is why I don't shop for shoes online.

Flight Sim PC - OS: Windows 11 Pro. CPU: i9-13900K.  RAM: 64GB. GPU: NVidia RTX 4090 OC
Flight Sim Xbox - Seriex X, 3TB

I purchased XP12 last month and very pleased with it. I installed Auto Ortho last night and that takes care of the bland default land textures and the ortho streaming runs well on my mid range PC. Night lighting and reflections on a wet ramp look outstanding in the rain, very realistic. Even the default aircraft are close enough to keep it entertaining. No regrets at all purchasing XP12, I had planned on upgrading to P3D V6 but the better choice was XP. Looked at 2020 but I was turned off to it, just couldn't get by the you need this kind of account, that kind of pass just to make a simple purchase, and I could care less about more endless products and services from MS. Microsoft impressed me back in the day when I went from DOS to Win 3.1 but those days are long gone.

• Like 4

Gary Stewart

15 hours ago, edpatino said:

people are still with FSX (yes, the old pal),

There's also some who still run FS2004 because that's where all their addons are and have their setup exactly how they want it.

Edited by Tuskin38

13 hours ago, walloppy said:

For me, no, it’s not worth it. I used xp10 and 11 for years when p3d didn’t seem to have much of a future. After msfs, I rarely touch xplane. Graphics are in a different era, flight model for the high quality planes is excellent and aircraft selection is at a great point now with regular new aircraft coming out. In not too long about every airliner that flies will have a high quality payware option or default, except maybe A340 which afaik isn’t planned yet. There’s also plenty of scenery. I’m struggling to see how X-Plane will really gain any users from this point on instead of just losing users or active playing time with more and more devs focusing exclusively on msfs. 

I am always surprised by the MFS community and their half-truths, I have more than 300 euros invested in mfs and I really enjoy it but graphically it is only better in cities with photogrammetry, outside of that which is the majority of the sim it is not better and if we leave populated areas it is even worse.
Another thing that tires me and that is a deception in general is the dozens of addons "like A2A" that don't even simulate the basics of a piston engine, let's not even talk about turboprops. 
MFS has many virtues, WT avionics for example but it has many shortcomings also something as basic as access to the weather api for example, each simulator has its virtues and shortcomings you talk about P3D there are years for MFS to have a fleet at the level of P3D or Xplane, will this fleet arrive? Sure and I will enjoy it along with what is coming from XP, those of you who are closed to only one simulator will miss it.

PD: Sorry for my bad english 

• Upvote 4

Having a long-time sim background and now on MSFS, I ventured into X-Plane for the first time because of an aircraft addon that is available for X-Plane only.
Yes, it's less polished than MSFS. Yes, it needs more work. But I found it to be appealing in many regards nevertheless, and it's definitely a keeper.

Oddly enough, ever since I got into X-Plane, I find myself firing up MSFS less and less ....

It all comes down to personal preferences. Arguing that other sims should be dropped and all development efforts should go to MSFS exclusively instead are just hilarious.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Dave P. Woycek