Sign in to follow this  
Ryanmlt1

Any experience with MicroCenter's PowerSpec PC's?

Posted (edited)

I'm thinking of upgrading my very outdated underpowered PC,  I'm not really inclined to build this one and prefer a pre-built machine.   I'm looking at these MicroCenter PowerSpec PC's, the price seems right the only downside I could find was they are using a PowerSpec 750w power supply, everything else seems legit quality MB, CPU, Ram etc.  When I look at building myself the cost comes out to about the same. If I were to build my own I may pick a corsair cooler and 850w Power supply, but that's really it and I could always add one later. I like that I can walk into the store not far from me and walk out with have a powerhouse machine ready to go.   

Does anyone own or have experience with these machines?  Below are the systems I'm considering.  Which would you pick?

https://www.microcenter.com/product/671237/powerspec-g446-gaming-pc

https://www.microcenter.com/product/669855/powerspec-g717-gaming-pc-platinum-collection

Thanks!

Edited by Ryanmlt1

I fly mostly GA and Business jets around ORBX PNW | Im live near Boston so I also will fly in MA and ME |  KLEW- 3B1- KBED 

Also avid RC Pilot, Planes and Heli | Ride a Harley's and Snowmobiles! 

PC Setup: Intel i7 8700k | MD Z370 | MSA GTX1080 | H100 liquid Cooling | 250G SSD | PS RM750 | NZXT S340 Case | Windows 10 | AOC 27" 4K | P3D V4.5 | Saitek Yoke | Saitek Rudder pedals | Saitek Throttle Quad| Lots of Addons| 

Id have no issues going with microcenter.

Their staff is very knowledgeable and when you go to pick yours...they will probably let you bring it to the bench and open it up and ask questions about it.

I'd go with the AMD 1000%.

Best processor hands down (I have one and love it) and you get at 4070 super to boot.

• Like 1

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Personally, I build all my PCs, for better or for worse, but if I were in the market for a prebuild, that's honestly not a bad price. 

Do they still do custom builds? If so, could you get them to swap out the 750 PSU for a 1000?

That way, at least, if you decide to replace the video card in a few years, you don't have to do it yourself. I can't see the power requirements for those coming down appreciably, and I'd be worried about it being underpowered long-term.

I have two friends that bought from Microcenter, and there choices were very limited. For the best in customer service with free lifetime support, check out CLX. https://www.clxgaming.com/gaming-pc

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I'm in the can't go wrong with Micro Center camp, I'm fortunate to live about 7 miles from one. They stand by warranties, and if you can afford to add the purchase protection, do it. I done that on some larger items, and it has paid off twice. They've always made good by me. 

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

Microcenter is pretty decent

The AMD system is the one to get. Better graphics card and the AMD CPU works better with the sim. The only thing i dont see is what motherboard they are using but i trust its not basic level .. (Or i would hope not)

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

I purchased a Power Spec computer from Microcenter when you could not purchase the RTX 3080 by itself.

I'm very satisfied with it and have had no problems.

• Like 2

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5 

1 hour ago, Maxis said:

Microcenter is pretty decent

The AMD system is the one to get. Better graphics card and the AMD CPU works better with the sim. The only thing i dont see is what motherboard they are using but i trust its not basic level .. (Or i would hope not)

This is the spec list. 

Keep in mind components are subject to change on future builds. At this time:

Motherboard: MSI Pro B650-P WIFI
RAM: G.Skill F5-5600J3636C16GX2
GPU: ASUS Dual or MSI Ventus 2X
Drive: WD SN580
PSU: PowerSpec 750GSM
AIO: Cooler Master ML240L or 240L Core

I fly mostly GA and Business jets around ORBX PNW | Im live near Boston so I also will fly in MA and ME |  KLEW- 3B1- KBED 

PC Setup: Intel i7 8700k | MD Z370 | MSA GTX1080 | H100 liquid Cooling | 250G SSD | PS RM750 | NZXT S340 Case | Windows 10 | AOC 27" 4K | P3D V4.5 | Saitek Yoke | Saitek Rudder pedals | Saitek Throttle Quad| Lots of Addons| 

49 minutes ago, Ryanmlt1 said:

This is the spec list. 

Keep in mind components are subject to change on future builds. At this time:

Motherboard: MSI Pro B650-P WIFI
RAM: G.Skill F5-5600J3636C16GX2
GPU: ASUS Dual or MSI Ventus 2X
Drive: WD SN580
PSU: PowerSpec 750GSM
AIO: Cooler Master ML240L or 240L Core

Yep everything on the list seems above board. Not over flashy. but solid and good value..  The only component ive never heard of is the PSU but then again i would trust Microcenter to have tested validated and QC this build to ensure they wouldn't have been stuck with a bunch of returns and the good thing (if you have a local one) is that they stand by their work if there is an issue.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

You should really build your own computer, it's really easy to do and there are many Youtube videos how to do it, you save money and can choose the hardware yourself that suits both your wallet and MSFS best.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

I can't say anything about pre-built pc but microcenter are great stores. I bought most of my computer parts from microcenter and have never regretted it.

• Like 1

Garber Sergey

2 hours ago, Ixoye said:

You should really build your own computer, it's really easy to do and there are many Youtube videos how to do it, you save money and can choose the hardware yourself that suits both your wallet and MSFS best.

I did my last one and found myself scratching my head and troubleshooting a few times. Id rather leave it to a professional this time.  One of the biggest reasons is I find it very hard to narrow down picking the best MB, CPU AMD vs Intel  to match, there's just so many variables and its subjective.  

I agree it saves money (usually with higher end components) but I'd totally hire out my next build.  It's too much of a pita when things don't workout.  RMA this or that, or fiddle with bios for 3 hours (or 3 days) etc etc.

Microcenter PCs are pretty decent.  I think they also have an option to build in store...there is fee but it's not unreasonable.  If I recall, you pick out the components and they build it.

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

20 hours ago, mspencer said:

Personally, I build all my PCs, for better or for worse, but if I were in the market for a prebuild, that's honestly not a bad price. 

Do they still do custom builds? If so, could you get them to swap out the 750 PSU for a 1000?

That way, at least, if you decide to replace the video card in a few years, you don't have to do it yourself. I can't see the power requirements for those coming down appreciably, and I'd be worried about it being underpowered long-term.

I believe they carge $199 for custom builds if you purchase the components there. Prices for components are good.  However if you ask for a mod to an off the shelf unit I believe it becomes a custom build ($199).  That's how it was in Aug 2020 when I had them create this current system.   BTW, the custom build price comes with some parts and labor guarantees for that price and the assist you with any Mfr rebates for components.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

3 hours ago, fppilot said:

I believe they carge $199 for custom builds if you purchase the components there. Prices for components are good.  However if you ask for a mod to an off the shelf unit I believe it becomes a custom build ($199).  That's how it was in Aug 2020 when I had them create this current system.   BTW, the custom build price comes with some parts and labor guarantees for that price and the assist you with any Mfr rebates for components.

I don't live near a MicroCenter anymore, but if I could pay $200 to just have it done, that's totally worth it. Potentially less expensive than the pre-build, too.

Last build, I spent hours trying to figure out which screwpost was shorting the board.