Sign in to follow this  
Silicus

Active Sky review

Hi, guys! I bet it has been discussed already, but will dare to ask again. How can I smooth out the weather change? Yesterday I bought the ASFS. So far so good, but on the apprach the clouds were covering the entire space with no gaps at a certain altitude, then everything suddenly changed and huge gaps appeared between the clouds. What should I change in the setting?

Intel i9-13900K, GIGABYTE GAMING Z790, GeForce RTX4080, 32GB

1 hour ago, zorro747 said:

Hi, guys! I bet it has been discussed already, but will dare to ask again. How can I smooth out the weather change? Yesterday I bought the ASFS. So far so good, but on the apprach the clouds were covering the entire space with no gaps at a certain altitude, then everything suddenly changed and huge gaps appeared between the clouds. What should I change in the setting?

I'd start with installing the latest beta as it changes the default transition settings considerably. Link a few pages back on this thread. Then see if it works better for you before tweaking. 

• Like 1

Russell Gough

SE London

spacer.png

Here are a 'ton' of screenshots mostly from latest beta 8879 but a few from 8874 also.

MSFS Active Sky Beta 8874/Sentinel Islands

MSFS Active Sky Beta 8879 Cambodia/Vietnam

Active Sky Beta 8879 ENNO Circuits (Order messed up by IMGUR so ..)

IMO latest beta is best 'out of the box'. Defaults work pretty well.

• Like 2

Russell Gough

SE London

spacer.png

Hi everyone, possibly dumb question but I haven't seen it mentioned earlier: does ActiveSky work in areas with little to no METAR coverage (say, Africa, southwest Asia, etc.)?

Thanks!

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, faldrath said:

Hi everyone, possibly dumb question but I haven't seen it mentioned earlier: does ActiveSky work in areas with little to no METAR coverage (say, Africa, southwest Asia, etc.)?

Thanks!

Yes, because when over areas with such scarse coverage it reverts to model-based data obtained from the GRIBs, and uses it down to ground level...

It can still try to interpolate with data from nearby stations too.

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 3

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

6 hours ago, zorro747 said:

I did not test this but what about the option "prevent downloads on approach and departure" in general options?

13 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

So far I’ve had it set to 5K including around 2hr flight time with the latest beta. Not sure if I should change the setting based on the changes…

It's really personal preference. Probably kick it up to 20 and if you see rapid transitions, take it down a notch.

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Gogolathome said:

I did not test this but what about the option "prevent downloads on approach and departure" in general options?

Depends on your ATC, and if it will change your approach or departure , if wind shifts at the last minute, which in real life happens. I leave it on prevent , and have for years. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 1

spacer.png

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020  PMDG 777    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

Just picked this up and silly question on depiction.

Until I loaded a flight plan, ActiveSky Preset Control was pretty much depicting sky clear wind calm standard ISA - default flying conditions.

I switched to passive and it ran good old Asobo depiction of weather I guess but with ActiveSky features?

Once I loaded the FP, preset control seems to be working... but what is everyone using? What's the best way to take advantage of ASFS here?

20 minutes ago, mspencer said:

Just picked this up and silly question on depiction.

Until I loaded a flight plan, ActiveSky Preset Control was pretty much depicting sky clear wind calm standard ISA - default flying conditions.

I switched to passive and it ran good old Asobo depiction of weather I guess but with ActiveSky features?

Once I loaded the FP, preset control seems to be working... but what is everyone using? What's the best way to take advantage of ASFS here?

I load the flight, the flightplan, set it to Active Sky Preset, and Realism. Good Idea to go over the manual. This program does quite a few things. 

spacer.png

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020  PMDG 777    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

4 hours ago, faldrath said:

Thanks!

The other day I flew from the Chinese/Mongolian border (Erehot) inner mongolia (ZBER) over to Beijing (ZBAA) and it was good.  ZBER is pretty remote being situated in the Gobi Desert, and it pulled some interpolated data AND it pulled the nearerst METAR, being Hohhot...and then later Beijing...and it gave pretty close to what windy.com reported over that area, which is the only wx source I had for that region.   That being scattered showers on the eastern part of the route, mostly clear in the west part.  I used a transition level of "5" to avoid any sudden change.

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | MSI Gaming Trio X RTX 4090 | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6200 32-38-38-30 32GB | Gigabyte X670 AORUS ELITE AX | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

dYn55y0_d.jpg?maxwidth=520&shape=thumb&f

8 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Overall a good review but his switching live mode on/off in the sim can cause problems with AS depiction. It didn't "seem" to cause any issues in his video but it is not recommended. It's a PITA but the best way is to switch to Passive mode, restart AS. It will work the other way but if you get strange results, that would be the culprit.

• Like 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

36 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

Overall a good review

I watch this guy quite a lot , no fluff just plenty of actual accurate 'flying' and realistic procedures.

I have to eye roll that title though..

"Not as bad as many say"......I mean CMON! Way to throw a negative tag line out there at the very top. It's almost as if he's hedging his bets in case his viewers are in the 'enemy camp'. Why not "actually pretty good!" or "as GOOD as some people say!"?

To be frank if I'm reviewing a piece of software who CARES what other people say and why would I need to even mention it right at the start?! It's MY review and if my review is untrendy then that just means I'm SPECIAL hehe. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Russell Gough

SE London

spacer.png

1 hour ago, sloppysmusic said:

I watch this guy quite a lot , no fluff just plenty of actual accurate 'flying' and realistic procedures.

I have to eye roll that title though..

"Not as bad as many say"......I mean CMON! Way to throw a negative tag line out there at the very top. It's almost as if he's hedging his bets in case his viewers are in the 'enemy camp'. Why not "actually pretty good!" or "as GOOD as some people say!"?

To be frank if I'm reviewing a piece of software who CARES what other people say and why would I need to even mention it right at the start?! It's MY review and if my review is untrendy then that just means I'm SPECIAL hehe. 

But the issue as I see it, is most of the Youtube ( I know nothing about the product) reviewers have convinced many viewers  that  all AS is, is a "Cash Grab"  ( using their words in many cases. ) So I have read many comments where the posters said that they heard that AS was not worth buying, after watching reviews on Youtube. That is a shame. 

• Like 6

spacer.png