Everything posted by Captain Crunch
- Pilots Dash 7 v1.7.8 Released At Contrail 9-07-2026
-
Just Flight downloads - site problems for anyone else?
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. Turned out it was the VPN after all. Now I know that when I get a "source file could not be read" error, it should be one of the first things to check.
-
Just Flight downloads - site problems for anyone else?
Was that the v1.0 file or the update (v1.1 file)
-
Just Flight downloads - site problems for anyone else?
Logged in to my Just Flight account without a problem this morning. I'm trying to download my Caravan cargo/amphib installer and it keeps failing after a few seconds. Anyone else having that problem? I'm on VPN but seriously doubt that's an issue - it's worked 100% of the time for that site in the past.
-
A study level helo…? You had me at “study”
I had forgotten about the standard hospital-green color on a lot of soviet aircraft panels - she looks the part for sure. This one should be interesting. Surprised but happy to see a new helo for msfs2020. I may move to 2024 this year as I have to get a new PC to use Win 11. Anyone have any thoughts on pros/cons of helos between the two versions?
-
Black Square Caravan - water rudder
After searching here and reading the Just Flight discussion forum I have no idea where this stands. I'm on msfs2020 and like some others, water rudder control is a persistent problem. I bound "toggle water rudder" to a joystick button and also used the default CTRL + W keys. So what happens either way is: the pump light flashes twice; using my rudder pedals it's obvious the extra steering control is there for a second, then it's gone. Using the mouse in the cockpit, the lever does go down, then it pops back up right away. And in any of these tests, the external view always shows the rudders in the up position. I should add I have the latest update version. Does anyone know when/if there's going to be a fix for this? Or is there a workaround anyone stumbled on? It's a shame to finally have an advanced version of this floatplane with this kind of issue. Trying to maneouver to or from a dock is pointless right now.
-
BlackSquare Caravan Professional out
And seeing how we have a RW pilot on the thread, how does the amphib handle in the water? I'm still on 2020 and obviously the physics are less polished than 2024. But it would be nice to know if it actually does get on the step etc.
-
Never noticed this on the TBM850
I'm spending some time revisiting a great aircraft - the Black Square TBM850 - while waiting for the Caravan Pro bundle. I had an RNAV approach selected and was using heading hold to turn toward the IAF. I never noticed before but, if the approach is loaded and the glide path pointer is already up on the EHSI, if you're turning right the heading bug completely disappears behind it as you turn through about 60 degrees of heading. Not a problem, just seems a bit odd for a design (but I'm sure that's completely accurate on the real thing). Anyone seen that on other aircraft? It got me curious now that I've noticed it.
-
Lost all VOR and ILS capabilities.
If the sim ran/nav worked for two weeks straight, it sounds like an update or the addition of some new files messed things up. I think if there was any Navigraph connection other users would have had the issue (and flagged it to Navigraph). Did you update any freeware recently or add any new aircraft to the sim? Can't think of what else it might realistically be, but you could also try disabling then re-enabling the WT packages if that's possible. I hope you're able to get it sorted out, very frustrating indeed.
-
BlackSquare Caravan Professional: Update By Nick Cyganski
Why yes, I believe it is 😄 Passenger and cargo and floats? Oh hell yes!!
-
A2A Aerostar 600
Is the 600 worth the money and fun to fly? Yes. That said, if you only want to fly planes that have every bell and whistle it might not be for you. I own it and like it, but don't fly it as much as I thought I would. Another twin to consider is the Black Square Duke. It's a very capable aircraft and very well-modeled.
-
PC-12 Recommendation
It's obviously working for some folks so take this with a grain of salt. My experience after the last update is a crazy amount of display stutter (the only aircraft that does it). I never bothered trying to take off after that, just uninstalled the thing. Not worth the hassle of trying to troubleshoot as there are so many other great payware planes for 2020. The Black Square King Air makes a good substitute for PC-12 missions (e.g. medevac).
-
Just Flight Arrow trim in MSFS2020
I downloaded and installed the latest version for 2020 a few weeks ago (v0.6.3) because I read somewhere that one of the things they fixed was the trim step. I.e. there was no more "runaway" elevator trim if you used the control for more than a second or two. But as far as I can tell, that's still not working right on the Arrow or Turbo Arrow. Has anyone got that working, or did I misread what the latest changes were? I say "fixed" because I understood that the issue was originally native to all kinds of planes in MSFS, until Asobo corrected that. But it was still a factor in some GA planes like the Arrow.
-
Chaseplane
Actually I'd like a little clarity around this too. Does this mean you can't/shouldn't try to run both at the same time (I'm fine with that), or does it mean that Chaseplane simply won't work if you have Tobii installed? I had a look around the Parallel 42 site - "known limitations" - but the info is a bit vague.
-
SWS Okovango scenery issue
Couldn't find anything in Search on this...I just recently reinstalled the SWS Okovango scenery through Orbx Central. The install goes fine and I can update Little Nav Map with the locations. But when I try to spawn in on any of the runway locations, FS2020 starts me in the air. When I finally got an actual start on the ground there's literally nothing - no custom objects, zilch. Even Maun (FBMN), which isn't part of the custom scenery, is nothing but dirt textures. This package used to work fine. Anyone else had this issue? I don't think there's a sim conflict since I don't have any other scenery installed that's anywhere near there.
-
Error going to the Just Flight web site
Anyone else seeing a "403 Forbidden" error when trying to access the Just Flight web site? It's strange, never had any issue at all with their site before. It's not something at my end, connectivity is fine, other sites are loading no problem.
-
Long Freezes
Between your research and Bob's comment it sure seems like yes, it's driver-related. You might try using the Windows repair function if you haven't already, since it's designed to find and fix exactly these types of OS errors. And, less likely, if you're running any kind of antivirus program, it would be worth checking that you've excluded the MSFS path from scans. Short of a corrupt driver install, it's about the only reason I can think of that your system would try to read one of it's native files and find it locked. Good luck!
-
Which Bell 206 is better?
I think you'll be very happy with it. Beyond the flight model itself they did a very clever thing with the heli manager app that ships with it: there are sliders to adjust the stability, so for anyone still new to helicopters or who might have less-than-ideal controls you can tweak it to suit what you need. I don't have the CowanSim 206 but did try several of their other helicopters. They're popular but personally I find them to be too rough around the edges. Might just be how flight models ported from X-Plane behave within the limits of the MSFS SDK.
-
No more live weather thunderstorms?
Not that I know of, at least not in the same way you could with Active Sky (boy do I miss that software). Not sure if the world map filters would be accurate. I've had some success using the Meteo Blue site as a reference. Makes sense I guess if they're pulling data from there for Live sim weather.
-
Severe Texture Re-draw Popping post SU12
If it was me I'd probably want to check that driver first if it's the most recent change to your system. If the reason your PC went to the shop was for something graphics-related, they may not have actually fixed the root problem by updating the driver. You don't say if the problem is on the ground changing views at an airport for example, or only in the air, or both, or whether you've had the issue before. Your system likely supports a much higher TLOD and you'd need to experiment to see whether you can run that higher (assuming it was the cause).
-
Kern Valley Airport (L05)
Ah, that would explain it. Looked good in the screenshots though, so a good choice for that.
-
Kern Valley Airport (L05)
Thank-you Vincent, another scenery that was worth waiting for. What a great little spot to visit. Definitely had my hands full on takeoff and landing today with the turbulence and gusting winds. Aside from some minor LOD popping from the segmented circle around the wind sock, everything renders great - crisp textures everywhere and very FPS friendly too. Love that static Stearman. Didn't get a look at the Cal Fire helo but that could just be my settings.
-
[Freeware] San Diego Montgomery Field (KMYF)
Even so, for what was a first effort back then I think you did a really good job. And thank-you for doing with helipads what should be done more often: making them a start location from the world map where you can begin with the engine/systems already running. Another new area to explore in the FlyInside 206 - nice!
-
No Live Weather
All day Friday, Saturday and again today (EDT time zone) I've also had no Live weather except that the sim consistently adds a 3-knot surface wind from the southwest. Between the outages and the crazy artificial turbulence I gave up and just rely on SoFly weather presets now. The situation sucks but at least that's a reliable Plan B.