Sign in to follow this  
Pastaiolo

News on DTG Simulator is coming soon!

Brace yourself, the pessimism is coming!

I'm all for a new consumer-oriented MSFS styled simulator, nevermind 64-bit and DX11 support.

• Upvote 3

The more choices we have in the flight sim world the better.

Indeed, it's exciting news, and we will now have even more choice of flight simulators. At least for people who are waiting on P3D to move to 64-bit, this is great news and at least DTG will take the sim in a direction that consumers/regular simmers want, and will make it an enjoyable sim (of that,  I have no doubt). I really do hope the add-on market won't be closed out, that would be a really big mistake, but I suspect we will be getting an announcement from ORBX anytime soon ;)

Yeah, I don't think the addon market would be locked down. They certainly haven't done that for the Steam Edition, and the big names seemed to have partnered up well (ORBX, REX, Pilots, A2A all sell on Steam).

• Upvote 1

64 bits and DX11 is very good news.

I think that maybe using Flight engine would have been a better idea, since visually it was better than FSX's one. I note though, that they're saying that it's been significantly upgraded and improved, although the first screenshots don't look particularly overwhelming to me.

I wonder if it will have localized volumetric fog (Flight had it) and atmospheric scattering, that gives a realistic feeling of altitude. From the screenshots, it's not clear whether there's only fog or actual atmospheric scattering.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Sounds very promising.

However, I see too much premature enthusiasm. And this comes from someone who always believed DTG would bring something valuable into the flight sim world in these threads.

First, we still lack basic information. As tonywob correctly pointed out, no mention was made about third-party support. This is a fundamental point. Let's wait and see.
Second, it is unclear if and how both simulators will integrate together. I understand that they are two separate distinct simulators but based on the same platform. This is at least my understanding. I wonder whether there will be an upgrade option from Flight School to Flight Simulator and if the same addons will run on both.
Third, I think it is premature for us to say "let's stop buying addons fro FSX-SE or P3D since now". I am afraid we'll have to wait some time before Flight Simulator will get mature and ready.

"Will the add-ons I am currently buying for the Steam addition be compatable with the new Sim ?"

"Flight school is a standalone experience and is not compatible with add-ons or content released for other simulators. We will have more news about DTG Flight Simulator over the coming months.

- Martin"

"There are currently no plans to include third party content in Flight School. That will really be a standalone experience focused on learning to fly. DTG Flight Simulator is a different story, we will absolutely be looking to work with third party developers just like we have been doing with FSX: Steam Edition.

- Martin"

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Yes, Murmur got it first.
Flight School will be a standalone experience (not open to third-party developers).
Flight Simulator will.

Very good.

Flight School sounds interesting. I have enjoyed flight simulators for years, and yet I have never really got to grips with proper navigation techniques or IFR in all its forms. Lessons and/or tutorials in the past have never been very good as far as I am concerned, so I am curious to see if Flight School does a much better job of this.

• Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Well, having looked at the pictures, my first impression is *Darth Vader Voice* "The FLIGHT is strong, with this one."  :wink:

• Upvote 2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

With all due respect, nothing much can be discerned from the two dark pictures that have been released.

• Upvote 3

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Wonder if existing add-ons will be 64bit compatible?

Darn, my simming laptop, W10, 64bit i5 only has DX10 hardware. New kit needed?

Our training academy, with it's 25 'older 'PC's would be ideal for the Training sim, for the 60 previously disadvantaged kid we mentor, sad that our hardware is not compatible as well!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Just food for thought, they say "that both Flight School and Flight Simulator are based on an evolution of Flight Simulator X technology". MS Flight was an evolution of Flight Simulator X technology. Maybe they just phrased it that way in order to prevent a backlash?

Here is another screenshot, apparently depicting Innsbruck airport without buildings:

13314.jpg

• Upvote 3

Brace yourself, the pessimism is coming!

And I was just about to say "brace yourself, wild optimism is coming" ... but out of the two, I'd rather see optimism ... too bad such optimism it's not applied globally to all flight sim platforms.

I'm not too terribly interested in Flight School ... but I'll certainly take a more serious look at what comes after Flight School ... I hope DTG have some better screenshots, the ones I've seen and shown here don't look very good (green sky and overdone on the atmospheric scattering and the trees aren't blending well - which I hope is tied to weather conditions because it's certainly not a global application) ... do you folks think those screen shots look good (maybe old age is kicking in)?

But agree with Tony, I'm all for bringing on-board new flight simmers and hoping they stick around ... and if DTG can enforce some 3rd party standards to enable an end user level of consistency with installation/configuration that would be a huge benefit to many that enjoy flight.

As far as stopping any current or future purchases for P3D, Xplane, DCS ... no way, why would anyone do that on something that can't be used or abused yet?  Sorta like saying I'm not going to buy any gas for the next year because gas prices might go down.

Cheers, Rob.

I'm all in! Thank you Dovetail, and Lockheed Martin, time to up your game! :)

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987!