Sign in to follow this  

Bored.

There's nothing to do in FS anymore. I used to enjoy learning a new complex airliner but nothing really groundbreaking has come out for 2 years. Anything good is still months away and then the subsequent delays will kick in anyway. On top of that, FSX has split the market and now companies like PMDG are having to create 2 versions of the same product, stretching out development time even further. This really is a terrible hobby for people like me that need something new every so often to stay interested.

>There's nothing to do in FS anymore. I used to enjoy>learning a new complex airliner but nothing really>groundbreaking has come out for 2 years. Anything good is>still months away and then the subsequent delays will kick in>anyway. On top of that, FSX has split the market and now>companies like PMDG are having to create 2 versions of the>same product, stretching out development time even further. >This really is a terrible hobby for people like me that need>something new every so often to stay interested. HeyThere are so many other things one can spend one's time doing that mess about holding a joystick!!! If it ain't joy!! belly dancing sure is!! at least watching it.krishan

FS never ceases to challenge me. I'm forever learning.For a change of pace I sometimes fly the old birds (Tinmouse II, Coolsky MD80 and DreamFleet 727). It's fun flying VOR to VOR and intercepting radials, it's also a nice change of pace from letting the FMC do the work and doing it all by hand.I got hooked on the TM2 after watching a coupld WAR DVD's (Canadian North and Zip Airlines).

I think if you are bored with FS, then getting a new airliner will not solve the problem. Six weeks later, you will be bored again.I think you need to reflect on what you enjoy (or not) about the hobby, and then take up chess :-)

Graeme Butler

Jump into the IL2 series and get some A2A combat action going. After a few days or weeks of that, jump back into FS. Then back to IL2. You'll appreciate the differences between the two sim-styles and I think you'll end up a better sim pilot and have a lot more fun doing it.

Airbadger-You need to widen your horizon!! Literally! Move up from the arcade tunnel vision of 90

Same here, I read the forums here steady, but I just cant seem to get interrested in the simulator anymore, I have a hard time completing a 20minute flight. I get all excited to start up fs, get in my king air, plan a flight of 20 or so minutes take off then get bored and shut it down. I dont want to abandon fs, I just have a hard time getting into it anymore. Maybe its becuase my pc is not powerful enough to run any scenery or Ai. I have to run it on the lowest setting to get somewhat decent fps(this is fs9). I'd like to upgrade my pc but im worried if i do I still wont be into fs and have wasted my money on a new pc.I dont know, I dont know. Any suggestions?

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

Guest Pilot533

Eh, Ive been using fsx for a while now, since I can finally run it on my pc. I think if our "world" looked more realistic it would be far more enjoyable. Ill always return to my 767 though, what an addon.

Alex,have you tried russian aviation? There are some aircraft, that are right up there with the best of the payware. Like the Tu-154, for example.Also, russian navigation is quite different to what we're used in the west. I started with the Tu-134 and learned to navigate with RSBN and NAS-1. Now that keeps you on your toes throughout the flight and it also made my flying MUCH more precise! Not to mention the wonderful free scenery and visiting places you've never been to before :)If you have spare time, I suggest you try it. While it might seem as a daunting task at first with hundreds of instruments all labeled in cyrillic and a lot of talk about true and magnetic courses; loxodromes and orthodromes, it all clicks together at some point and THEN you really start having serious fun. :)Regards,Jure

Hey, I think we all get bored of FS, or any hobby for that matter, once and a while. I haven't run the sim for the last two or three weeks despite getting a large order of NACO charts for the entire U.S. - All U.S. and AK Sectionals! Lots of cash, but I haven't opened FS since, :-lol I've gone at least three months without playing, then all of the sudden I get the urge to play, out of nowhere *:-* That urge to play might last months or a few weeks. Bottom line, no reason you have to play the sim everyday or every weekend. Nothing wrong with taking a break from it and doing something else. If anything, it's natural and normal, and most of all, healthy, not to obsess over something.I have a few hobbies, and always had more hobbies then I could afford or keep up with, but at least it keeps me busy and I always have something to do.;-)

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Guest DreamFleet

Hi Alex,Trust me when I say, it could be worse, much worse. You could be doing this for real! What? You don't think we get bored too?Do you think most of us who fly for real get new aircraft to check out all the time? No way!Most of the time we fly the same thing, over and over again. I mean, it's not as though we can afford to fly all these various real aircraft, especially jet airliners. Even then, airline pilots fly the same thing over and over again.Yes, it can be boring, and only your love of it gets you past that.Granted, there are some challenges at times, but often one is just sitting there, scanning the gauges, playing with the GPS and reading a magazine / newspaper! Here's a photo of me (see links below my signature), on a flight last week in a Cessna 210 Turbo from New Jersey down to Tennessee, 3 hours each way. I posed for this photo on purpose to show just how exciting it can be. Here's another one of my friend in his Cessna 421B. This guy is a multi-thousand hour ATP, and we're on a 3.5 hour flight from New Jersey to Hilton Head, South Carolina.What? you don't think we were both reading the newspaper? Of course, we were, but I had it harder, as I took right seat and dealt with the radios and ATC. It wasn't much harder. Guess what, we can get bored in the real thing, but that does not mean we love it any less! We love it so much that we love the hours of boredom, as the alternative is usually moments of terror! ;)When it comes to flying, boredom is good, very good, just keep on your game.Regards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...R_FORUM_LOU.jpg

"There's nothing to do in FS anymore"Alex,From what I have read in this statment, it seems you have counted on others to fill your needs in this sim.I don't know if you have ever painted a aircraft ,designed scenery, designed aircraft, made a program for fs,built a home cockpit, became a part of vatsim or a VA, or have ever tried. All I can say is ,I can think of many things to do and I have done several of the things inwhich I listed. With that said, I still can't find enough time in my daily life to to them all. Each and everything I listed is" complex" as you stated is what you desire in a airliner product. For example,I was bored with my simflyers scenery and knowing no other company has redone KIAH I went ahead and retextured all the files to that scenery just to fill my needs.I am not bragging, I am just saying maybe there is something in the sim you really want to have and instead of waiting on the next guy to make it for you learn about it and do it yourself.The satisfaction will blow you away. One last thing if and only if you don't have a powerful system ,get one and you will see fs at a whole new level of thought.

Try VATSIM or better yet ATC on VATSIM.Shez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

I'm with acmech. Download a few SDKs and start messin with things. Install Gmax and build some scenery objects or aircraft. Build a scenery for your local airport. Do some repaints. Learn a little XML and build some gauges. Build a panel to put your gauges on. Get Traffic Tools and set up some AI flights. Modify some .fx files...The FS9 SDKs are available from this page:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555857I too loose interest quickly and frequently have to move on. Still, in 4 yrs of playing with this stupid sim, I can't say I've ever been bored with it. I doubt if I spend 10% of my sim time actually flying aircraft, but when I do fly, it's usually GA and the new rule is real sectional charts, no autopilot allowed, and VORs/NDBs only.Jim

Jim,WOW, I added your web site to my favorites! It is late now , tommorrow, I will be sure to see what it has to offer!Thanks for the work you have done for this great hobby ! SOMETIMES WE HAVE TO REMEMBER "OUR MIND IS OUR OWN PERSONAL COMPUTER" don't waste it!