Sign in to follow this  
kjng

an AA mode that's worth a try

You can't judge whether AA is working by looking at the preview window. You have to actually load up the game

You can't judge whether AA is working by looking at the preview window. You have to actually load up the game
In flight, it looks like that too in windowed mode. I obviously tried it in flight since I explicitly said that it's only in windowed mode that this new AA setting is not working properly

To be perfectly honest, that picture of the Baron looks too clear. The impression I get from it is that the Baron is a separate photo image that has been superimposed on the background. In other words, it looks less realistic to me than a slightly softened, imperfect AA image.
Try it! It looks gorgeous, scenery and all!

Bert

Try it! It looks gorgeous, scenery and all!
Well Bert, I tried it out yesterday and I think my picture hasn´t any similarity with yours. It isn´t that clear. I looks maybe worse than before. Maybe my old GTX 260 can´t handle this, or hav I set something wrong?

Have you tried this setting:"Enhance the application setting"-----Anialiasing modeSomeone in an other forum says that you must set it to:"Override any application setting".That doesn`t work for me with my 285GTX.I´ve set it to "Enhance the application setting"and this works great in combination with this new AA Mode.Michael

Have you tried this setting:"Enhance the application setting"-----Anialiasing modeSomeone in an other forum says that you must set it to:"Override any application setting".That doesn`t work for me with my 285GTX.I´ve set it to "Enhance the application setting"and this works great in combination with this new AA Mode.Michael
Thanks, I´ll gonna test it right away.I had it set to "Override any application setting" and now it hope enhance will make it.

I tried this setting over the weekend. Visually it looks (almost) as good as 16xS (2x2 super sampling combined with 4x multisampling) but it still kills my framerate in heavy clouds or anytime I get up into a cloud layer. It's a real bummer, because with this AA setting or the 8xSQ / 16xS / 32xS settings, the visual quality is DRAMATICALLY improved - like so much so that it's a real pain to have to go back to normal 8x or whatever because of the cloud/weather performance issues.Maybe a GTX 580 would be the answer... my GTX 470 doesn't cut the mustard with those high end AA modes.

I tried this setting over the weekend. Visually it looks (almost) as good as 16xS (2x2 super sampling combined with 4x multisampling) but it still kills my framerate in heavy clouds or anytime I get up into a cloud layer. It's a real bummer, because with this AA setting or the 8xSQ / 16xS / 32xS settings, the visual quality is DRAMATICALLY improved - like so much so that it's a real pain to have to go back to normal 8x or whatever because of the cloud/weather performance issues.Maybe a GTX 580 would be the answer... my GTX 470 doesn't cut the mustard with those high end AA modes.
Try setting AF to app controlled and use the external limiter to lock frames at 30 or 40. That works great with 8xSQ here and my 460 is not as powerfull as your 470

Try setting AF to app controlled and use the external limiter to lock frames at 30 or 40. That works great with 8xSQ here and my 460 is not as powerfull as your 470
Thanks, I gave that a shot (normally have AF forced to 16x) but it's still a little jerky (10-15fps) when passing through a thick overcast layer, especially in my JS41 which has a VERY graphically demanding virtual cockpit. Then again, I do run 4096x4096 REX clouds, CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY=12 and cloud distance slider at 90 miles, so I am putting a larger strain on the video card with my clouds than most people might have.As soon as I drop back to normal 8x antialiasing, I can fly at my capped (via D3Dantilag) 30fps all day long, the only way it ever drops below that is if going into a VERY large airport (LAX, JFK etc).

I also see significant stutter and FPS loss in clouds using this mode. I was flying out of Orbyx KORS yesterday and hit some heavy overcast. My frames dipped below 10 and it was a slide show going through the clouds. I switched back to 8xS, flew the same situation, and frames didn't go below 26. It's a pity, because the image quality is stunning. Also my video memory usage was at 1.1 GB in the clouds using this mode.

Kyle

Main Sim PC: P3D v5.2 & MSFS 2020, i9-10850k @ 5.0 GHz, ASUS Maximus XII Hero, ASUS TUF-RTX3080-12G, Dell U3011 30" IPS monitor, G.Skill 32GB 3200 Trident Z 14-14-14, Samsung 512GB 960 Pro NVMe (OS), Samsung 2TB 970 EVO NVMe (Sim), Win 10 Pro 64, Yoko Yoke, Saitex Combat Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant

<br />I also see significant stutter and FPS loss in clouds using this mode.  I was flying out of Orbyx KORS yesterday and hit some heavy overcast.  My frames dipped below 10 and it was a slide show going through the clouds.  I switched back to 8xS, flew the same situation, and frames didn't go below 26.  It's a pity, because the image quality is stunning.  Also my video memory usage was at 1.1 GB in the clouds using this mode.<br />
<br /><br /><br />As a test, can you try that new AA mode again, but this time get rid of your bufferpool setting?

Thanks, I gave that a shot (normally have AF forced to 16x) but it's still a little jerky (10-15fps) when passing through a thick overcast layer, especially in my JS41 which has a VERY graphically demanding virtual cockpit. Then again, I do run 4096x4096 REX clouds, CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY=12 and cloud distance slider at 90 miles, so I am putting a larger strain on the video card with my clouds than most people might have.As soon as I drop back to normal 8x antialiasing, I can fly at my capped (via D3Dantilag) 30fps all day long, the only way it ever drops below that is if going into a VERY large airport (LAX, JFK etc).
That's weird. I tried all that in the JS41 and 8xSQ and amidst thick clouds it's silk smooth 25-30 FPS. There might be something wrong in my end after all, but did setting AF to app controlled help at all or you also got those 10-15FPS with 16x please? also what's your water setting?

Does anyone know if this mode is available on the ATI Radeon HD5770, I would like to try it but don't know where to begin really. :blush:Cheers. :Silly:

There is no such setting for ATI cards but you could try enabling AAA (adaptive anti-aliasing), or setting the regular AA to super-sampling but the latter would probably give you major stutters in clouds. If you're not an advanced user I would suggest making these changes in the Catalyst Control Center to begin with and see how you get on.

I've downloaded and installed nvidia inspector. Run it selected the fsx profile and modified the AA setting and applied changes.Is that all I do? Do I have to run nvidia inspector when fsx is running? Does the profile automatically load when fsx does? Do I need to press anything to start that profile running?ThanksTom

Tom

Why not read some useful tips and tricks - http://forum.avsim.n...22#entry1965722