Sign in to follow this  
B777ER

What do you know...another frozen panel

+1
We've been doing exactly that - there's no common thread that I've seen yet.
So we've now reached a point where your hardware is over specified for the sim. This has got to be a first.
LOL, this is the truth... I've got more OOM errors with FSX and Win7 x64 than any other OS or sim version. I thought to myself "yes! I finally have a PC to run FSX with ease..." Now we're learning our video cards are eating too much of the 4GB VAS.... *sigh* Crappily coded program, that's the issue...(yeah crappily isn't a word I know pfff)
This is a quote from the current Direct3D SDK:
If an application creates its own in-memory copy of its video resources, or the application uses DirectX 9 or an earlier version, the virtual address space contains the WDDM video memory manager's virtualized range and the application's copy. Applications that use graphics APIs that are earlier than DirectX 10 and that target GPUs that have large amounts of video memory can easily exhaust their virtual address space.
The issue here is that when FSX and DX9 were created, no game that could use anywhere near 2GB+ of video memory even existed. 4GB of address space was enough at the time. These new cards that are coming out are designed for DX11 games where the video memory eating into address space issue isn't a concern. The huge amount of memory is there for frame buffer when running large multimonitor setups like AMD Eyefinity or Nvidia 2D Surround at very high resolutions. That said Ryan I have the exact same card you do (GTX570 1.28GB) and have no problems like this at all. Here's something I'd like to know from everyone in this thread getting these freezes - if you follow the tutorial flight *EXACTLY* (and I do mean 100% exactly down to the letter), do you still get a freeze during it? One of the theories we're looking at here is that there's some combination of technically "incorrect" flying techniques being used that end up causing the freezes and the reason we don't see them ourselves is because we're not flying the plane in that exact same way. I'd be very interested to hear if you can complete the tutorial flight fine - if you can, try flying one of your flights that gets a freeze, but use the exact same methods used in the tutorial flight on it and see if the freeze is still there.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Personnaly, I'm not whilling to cut back on anything to "accomodate" this add-on. I admit, it's the best looking so far and by far the most realistic but why should I cut back on my other add-ons that also contribute to making my simming experience more realistic?? I've had the NGX for 2 weeks now and all i've been doing is troubleshoot and I have still to even takeoff in this thing. I check this forum everyday to see if they fixed it. I have a system that can handle anything I throw at it. It's a very high end system that was built specifically for FSX. All i'm saying is that I should not be doing all this troubleshooting. This is not a freeware addon. We are far from doing "just a few adjustments". The point i'm trying to make here is that the problem is NOT on our side if eveything else (other add-ons) are working perfectly. There are way too many people having these panel freeze issues including me. If in the end I'm able to fly it but cant have any traffic, any weather or EFB, the addon is not worth it and is actualy taking away from my experience and my previous investments. Anyhow, the plane is parked until PMDG comes up with a SP that fixes the issues. If this where a freeware addon, it would allready be out of my computer with a kick in the a... Sorry to PMDG if this post seems like a ######ing session but after all, I paid for a working product and as a client and i'm absoluteley in my rights to complain about it if it doesnt perform as expected. (Yes i'm very annoyed.) BTW, PMDG does not have a refund policy (from what i've heard, correct me if i'm wrong) so we are stuck with waiting or simply absorbing the $ loss if they dont fix it. For now, 70$ sleeping in the hangar. RegardsChris
First of all the activation issue is more important for now and second I'm sure PMDG will get tp the bottom of this. I think any attack on Ryan is extremely unfair !!He gives 100% on here.......................always. As regards EFB, you should be talking to Aviasoft about that one.It has Nothing to do with PMDG or this forum for that matter. You guys need to learn some patience !........and in a few cases.....................manners. Fred.

I have not had any CTD or OOM or panel freezes all systems run fine with mine with over 70 hours flight time. Everybody seems to have the same system as Ryan recommended (mine is similar but not home-built its store bought; Alienware). I made no adjustments to hardware settings etc left it exactly the way it was shipped to me and it has never crashed one time. I'm thinking the one thing people are not taking into account is Windows Updates. I always turn off Windows Updates due to my previous computer issue where I updated through Windows Update and my computer began to crash in FSX. I only have my computer updated through W7 64 bit SP 1 and have never updated since. Maybe you should try to go back through system restore if its turned on and restore before the later updates that Microsoft put out. Just a thought.

Sean Green

Here's something I'd like to know from everyone in this thread getting these freezes - if you follow the tutorial flight *EXACTLY* (and I do mean 100% exactly down to the letter), do you still get a freeze during it? One of the theories we're looking at here is that there's some combination of technically "incorrect" flying techniques being used that end up causing the freezes and the reason we don't see them ourselves is because we're not flying the plane in that exact same way. I'd be very interested to hear if you can complete the tutorial flight fine - if you can, try flying one of your flights that gets a freeze, but use the exact same methods used in the tutorial flight on it and see if the freeze is still there.
Oh, no doubt it's doing procedures bassackwards from the checklists/manuals. To be perfectly honest I bought the NGX to replace another product's personal jet. I'm really not into the "push every button from cold n dark to shutdown." I want a beautiful plane (check), with updatable navdata (check), with neat features (check), the ability to go fairly fast (check). I don't want to read through 2k+ pages of manuals just to fly an automated LAND 3 ILS. With that said I try to enter FMC stuff per the intro and tutorial pdf's, and those AoA videos. I always do the initial stuff, changing my payload, fuel etc. Where I've run into problems is with routing changes. Say I have a STAR filed but then ATC amends the point I fly to. I usually just LSK the fix I want to fly to, then overwrite the current fix. This works fine most of the time, but once I start entering multiple approaches... that's where I get freezes. What is the preferred way to fly multiple approaches? We've already established in the other thread I have to enter the APP info into the FMC, which is weird to me but I suppose if that's how it works... I know multiple approaches can be done with FMS equipped planes. Last year, Delta brought up one of their B763's to do a bzillion ILS 27's in Duluth (training new crew members). All we did was vector them to a pre defined heading, and turn them to final with the usual phraseology. Over and over. This is essentially what I want to do with the NGX. I think it starts to get confused when I keep switching approaches in the FMS. Should I just delete the last approach then assign a new one?
I only have my computer updated through W7 64 bit SP 1 and have never updated since.
You want to update Win7 though, every so often - the security updates aren't there just for fun hehe...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Here's something I'd like to know from everyone in this thread getting these freezes - if you follow the tutorial flight *EXACTLY* (and I do mean 100% exactly down to the letter), do you still get a freeze during it? One of the theories we're looking at here is that there's some combination of technically "incorrect" flying techniques being used that end up causing the freezes and the reason we don't see them ourselves is because we're not flying the plane in that exact same way. I'd be very interested to hear if you can complete the tutorial flight fine - if you can, try flying one of your flights that gets a freeze, but use the exact same methods used in the tutorial flight on it and see if the freeze is still there.
I am looking forward to the results of this !!!!! Don't forget to turn off any badly coded addons !!!!! (which would be most of them) I suggested this in a thread 2 days ago and was shot down and insulted because of it.

Ryan, I confirm that I followed the instructions to the letter. I did so several times just to be sure I didnt miss anything.I read through the whole manual more than once. (I like reading alot) To Fred,In no way did I attack Ryan. I'm fully aware that PMDG is working hard. I wrote my post as a client who paid for a product and until they find out what is going on I have a realy good looking plane that does not fly. I dont beleive it was rude at all considering the 2 weeks of troubleshooting I just went through. It's a good thing I do have manners because it would of been alot worst than what I wrote. The reason for my frustration is as simple as this equation:I pay = I expectI beleive this is normal. I cant wait until I can also say that "I love the NGX"

I am looking forward to the results of this !!!!! Don't forget to turn off any badly coded addons !!!!! (which would be most of them) I suggested this in a thread 2 days ago and was shot down and insulted because of it.
Fred. I do agree that the results could be interesting, but what is scaring the heck out of me is, the thought that the only way to fly this ac is to do exactly this and exactly that. I don't want to be walking on egg shells every time i fly this ac, wondering if i am going to freeze/ctd on touch down or wherever because i entered somthing wrong into the FMC or i used a flight plan by FsBuild that NGX didn't like when i entered it as my co route. I say this because 95% of my flying to date has been using a saved flight, set up 'Exactly' as per the tutorial to get everything down pat before flying just anywhere, just anyway, and i've had no issues other than brake loss and other little things that have already been addressed.

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

<snip> Here's something I'd like to know from everyone in this thread getting these freezes - if you follow the tutorial flight *EXACTLY* (and I do mean 100% exactly down to the letter), do you still get a freeze during it? One of the theories we're looking at here is that there's some combination of technically "incorrect" flying techniques being used that end up causing the freezes and the reason we don't see them ourselves is because we're not flying the plane in that exact same way. I'd be very interested to hear if you can complete the tutorial flight fine - if you can, try flying one of your flights that gets a freeze, but use the exact same methods used in the tutorial flight on it and see if the freeze is still there.
Ryan, Yes, I can confirm that I did this flight three times and in two of those cases I got the OOM error - no freeze. The first time it happened being on short final, the second time while taxiing after arrival and the third time all worked fine. I used the same start situation and the same a/c. My panel freeze happened between EDDT and EHAM after starting to decent. Here again, I used the same procedures as before. PMDG got the saved situation files that had been automatically stored in the background by FSUIPC. You got a ticket describing as good as possible what was going on. Again, I wrote it somewhere above, I did not experience any problem since I reduced slightly my AI settings by turning back to about 20% ground and water traffic, airport services and as well GA even if the memory use rose up to 2.8GB from time to time. Regards,Axel

Regards,
Axel

Fred. I do agree that the results could be interesting, but what is scaring the heck out of me is, the thought that the only way to fly this ac is to do exactly this and exactly that. I don't want to be walking on egg shells every time i fly this ac, wondering if i am going to freeze/ctd on touch down or wherever because i entered somthing wrong into the FMC or i used a flight plan by FsBuild that NGX didn't like when i entered it as my co route. I say this because 95% of my flying to date has been using a saved flight, set up 'Exactly' as per the tutorial to get everything down pat before flying just anywhere, just anyway, and i've had no issues other than brake loss and other little things that have already been addressed.
I know what you mean but I don't think that will be the case. I work with FSX and cockpit building for a living and have seen probably more of FSXand it's shortcomings than most people. For example the new Nvidia GTX 580/590 are fantastic GPU's but FSX will still give better FPS with a pre 200 series card.Why ?? Because those cards were built with FSX in mind and use the now obsolete Shader 2.The very latest benchmarks I looked at showed that the much older GTX 280 gave at least 5 FPS more than a GTX 280 with 2 gigs of ram. I honestly believe that MOST problems with the NGX are FSX and GPU related.Also FSX was made for Windows Vista and does have known issues running in Windows 7 32 or 64 bit.

/ For example the new Nvidia GTX 580/590 are fantastic GPU's but FSX will still give better FPS with a pre 200 series card./ Really?....then I will throw my 580GTX in the bin now. / I honestly believe that MOST problems with the NGX are FSX and GPU related.Also FSX was made for Windows Vista and does have known issues running in Windows 7 32 or 64 bit. Almost...build for XP and Vista though.
I now today have Win7x64 Ultimate, but ran XPx64 before august 2011.When I finally decide to bye the NGX and then suffers of probs like theblack screen and other irritating things Win 7 have, I will for sure reinstall my XPx64 again, on another drive just for FSX. MS have never done a better OS than XPx64 Pro, with Sp1, anno 2006. / Leffe

I forgot to respond to this earlier: "As regards EFB, you should be talking to Aviasoft about that one.It has Nothing to do with PMDG or this forum for that matter." Done that. I dont recall asking for EFB support on this forum. Simply stated that the NGX is causing errors in other addons including EFB. Something to do with Simconnect overload (I have no idea what this is...not a tech guy) Either way, it's not an addon I'm whilling to part with.1. It's an expensive addon2. it's simply a great product3. It works great with all other addons I have No hard feelings. Just want my 737NGX to work like it's supposed to.

I now today have Win7x64 Ultimate, but ran XPx64 before august 2011.When I finally decide to bye the NGX and then suffers of probs like theblack screen and other irritating things Win 7 have, I will for sure reinstall my XPx64 again, on another drive just for FSX. MS have never done a better OS than XPx64 Pro, with Sp1, anno 2006. / Leffe
Leif I moved to XP for about four months ago, after losing patience with CTD. I installed FSX and only enough to run it. No antivirus, no Word, clean. And I can tell you that I never had a single CTD since then.Now, with the NGX, I have no problems with OOM or CTD. Just freezes. I will start to decrease the UT2 and other parameters to see how it looks. I just hope not to let the FSX FS98-faced at the end.

Best regards

Cristiano Mueller

The events of the last close to a month, has shown just how important having your specs in your sig is. How many times have they been asked for of late and how many times i wonder, Has PMDG said to themselves, 'I need his specs'

Rick Hobbs

just dont get it ? Has nouthing to do with the computer specs!
Do you know that for a fact Randy. Already high memory graphics cards has come up (Which i was not aware of).

Rick Hobbs

just dont get it ? Has nouthing to do with the computer specs!
Your joking right? People's spec's are the first thing you look at when trying to diagnose a problem, I love when people like the OP come in here and say its broke fix it and you have absolutely nothing to go on.