Sign in to follow this  
HughesMDflyer4

October FSX and Flight Comparison Screenshots

The thread you have all been waiting for...the October FSX and Flight Screenshot Comparisons! This set was actually a little easier, but a few shots, I had to just pick random locations. (specifically for shot 3, 9, and 10) For those shots, location doesn't matter as much as just getting a basic idea of the improvement. And for shot 4 and 7, I was unable to find the true location, so those locations are random as well. I determined that shot 5 was taken at Lihue Intl. While the FSX shot looks to be a completely different location, it's not. That's just how different Flight is from FSX. The exact position is not matched up because I believe the tower might be in the wrong spot in FSX, but it's close enough to get the point across. Everything is default. Settings are turned up high. Screenshot 1 FSXbattleshipfsx.pngFlightbattleshipflight.pngScreenshot 2 FSXhonoluluterminalfsx.pngFlighthonoluluterminalflight.pngScreenshot 3 FSXskycloudsfsx.pngFlightskycloudsflight.pngScreenshot 4 FSXtopdownhawaiifsx.pngFlighttopdownhawaiiflight.pngScreenshot 5 FSXlihuetowerfsx.pngFlightlihuetowerflight.pngScreenshot 6FSXhonolulurwy8fsx.pngFlighthonolulurwy8flight.pngScreenshot 7FSXmaulevalleypitfsx.pngFlightmaulevalleypitflight.pngScreenshot 8Unidentified location/not much to compare without a native FSX StearmanScreenshot 9FSXmaulesideflybyfsx.pngFlightmaulesideflybyflight.pngScreenshot 10FSXmauleoverwaterfsx.pngFlightmauleoverwaterflight.png

Brandon Filer

Looks like an overall visual improvement again, although as with other comparisons, there are some cases where FSX is doing a better job of conveying distance inb the way it is fading the terrain. Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Great work as usual Brandon. These comparisons are the most contrasting so far IMO; the battleship, tower and runway shots especially showoff how beautiful Flight is looking. The detail is just so impressive and this is default, I can't even begin to imagine what (if) 3PD's will be able to bring to the table.I also note the change in the lighting system in these shots, looks as if they have added a little HDR to the post processing but not too much like some games, just the right amount IMO. Gives everything a nice realistic contrast. One thing I would like to see improved visually is the anti-aliasing; if you look at the battleship you can see a halo around objects, I've noticed this in FSX as well when you add transparent textures to objects (such as chain link fences). Here it seems reduced somewhat or maybe just a little less sharp but I'd love to see it eliminated if possible.There also appears to be a slight blur filter being used, certainly not to the strength seen in games like Grand Theft Auto 4 but it's still noticeable. This may be their attempt to smooth out the AA, or may be a deliberate depth of field, or maybe the shots are just low resolution. Not sure what to make of this until I see the finished product at 1080p. All in all good work MS keep it up and thanks again Brandon for you time.

Great work Brandon. I can't help thinking, looking at those shots, that all those magnificent details are going to cost in terms of frame rates. I'm thinking I'm going to need a new machine to get decent performance.

Mike Beckwith

Very nice comparison! Enjoyed it very much! Only now one can realize how much FSX actually has bad graphics, when you see 1:1 comparisons! Not even mentioning FS9...

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.