Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rgbinns

Well Well Well, Saitek Throttle levers for each engine at last!

First of all I must say that I still really do not understand what somethings mean, I just bumbled along trying this and that until suddenly I find I have done something correctly at least something that seems to work.I have also tried it in flight with the PMDG 737NGX and it works beautifully and does not interfer with the auto throttle in anyway. It is really a nice new experience for me anyway.This is how I did it using Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant:snap2011102908h09m45s00.pngIn Axis Assignment I selected Send direct to FSUIPC Calibration for each lever.snap2011102908h11m26s00.pngsnap2011102908h11m58s00.pngThen I went to Joystick Calibration and selected No reverse Zone and Exclude THROTTLEn_SET and set up both the levers.snap2011102908h13m30s00.pngThe third lever I set up as the Reverser By pulling the lever down from idle you can set it up as a button so this was done in Buttons + Switches section of FSUIPC4.Uploaded with ImageShack.usI did the above as Aircraft specific so I will have to set up other aircraft types in the same way.I hope that this will work for others as it has for me.Kind regardsRichard

Richard,I've re-read your post a few times, and forgive me but I'm not sure if you were having difficulty assigning the Saitek throttles via FSX Controls, or you had another reason for using FSUIPC to assign them (or you simply preferred that method).Just in case, I thought I'd mention that several of the guys in our group run single and double Saitek throttle quadrants (i use a double configuration), and none of us have any difficulty assigning the throttles - including thrust reversers past the last throttle detent.I'm not sure (at all) if PMDG has changed their position on using FSUIPC, so please double check this, but last I knew PMDG stated that we shouldn't use FSUIPC to assign a control axis.Forgive me if I'm on base here...Be well.

reverse should bekeypress to be heldso it will throttle to full reverse2cts (i just stumbled on this topic, a bit late)

Wait, what??My current configuration is to have only the black lever as control for both engines, however once (just to see and feel realistic) i configured in FAX for the black:engine 1 and the blue:engine 2. No need for FSUICP.

Well, I got it configured in the following manner:Axis 1: Throttle1, FSX directAxis 2: Throttle2, FSX direct,Button on the Axis 1: Throttle1 Decr, repeat, Throttle1 Cut when releasedButton on the Axis 2: Throttle2 Decr, repeat, Throttle2 Cut when releasedDouble rocker switch below each Axis set up in Linda to Cutoff Switches, Run and Cut, respectivelyThis way I can control both engines independently, both reversers independently, and both cutoff switches when starting or cutting off engines.And by avoiding FSUIPC calibration, I fully avoid any problems that NGX might have with the FSUIPC.FSUIPC registered is required. And well worth the money!!!!!!!!!

reverse should bekeypress to be heldso it will throttle to full reverse2cts (i just stumbled on this topic, a bit late)
HelloTry it like this, much more efficient using Fs controls directly

One other thing that has been mentioned in the user guide was after setting your high and low range was to (start at idle) move both throttles together up a ways and hit the "Pos Sync" button. Repeat up towards full throttle several times. This is suppose to keep the the throttles sync's up as you move them. I have not had a chance to try yet but have also be told the PMDG will balk at using FSUIPC on axis set ups so I am still experimenting.

HelloTry it like this, much more efficient using Fs controls directly
Bingo!

This is how I did it using Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant:
Looks to me that you are on the right track. You should use "Profiles" in FSUIPC so you don't have to set up every livery. This is very handy because when you load a different livery, setting it up will be done by simply checking one box.If you don't see "Profiles" on within the control panel, go to the FSUIPC.ini file and open it in Notepad. Look for profiles=No and change it to profiles=Yes.You don't need to use a button setup for reversers like someone said here. FSUIPC will allow for a very nice axis control of reversers when set up just like you have it (No Reverse Zone in Throttles).I have to use a button setup for my reversers because I have a Throttletek G737 and it is set up for button control on reversers and not axis, but with Saitek or CH, you can make one or two leavers just for reversers.

Looks to me that you are on the right track. You should use "Profiles" in FSUIPC so you don't have to set up every livery. This is very handy because when you load a different livery, setting it up will be done by simply checking one box.If you don't see "Profiles" on within the control panel, go to the FSUIPC.ini file and open it in Notepad. Look for profiles=No and change it to profiles=Yes.
Geez I'm looking for something like this for decades!! Thank you very much, I wasn't aware of this feature, shame on me!

Saitek+FSUIPC+NGX=No problem.Have it set for throttles, spoilers and flaps, everything works beautifully! Going to demonstrate the NGX in a flight from KLAS to KLAX on Friday to a group of FS enthusiasts and I feel confident they will enjoy every second of it.

So I don't get it ...Am I supposed to use FSUIPC with the NGX or not?? I have everything set through FSX and I have no problems.Everything works fine. I have yet to purchase it because it was advise by PMDG not to use it. Does it work and should I go for it?

Geez I'm looking for something like this for decades!! Thank you very much, I wasn't aware of this feature, shame on me!
The newest version of FSUIPC already has profiles setup in the control panel. It also added a new feature where you can setup a profile "Based On" an existing profile and save it as a new profile. Very cool and handy if you have the same kind of aircraft, but made by a different developer.
Going to demonstrate the NGX in a flight from KLAS to KLAX on Friday to a group of FS enthusiasts and I feel confident they will enjoy every second of it.
If they are enthusiasts and they look like they aren't enjoying it, check their pulse, because they probably died. :(
So I don't get it ...Am I supposed to use FSUIPC with the NGX or not?? I have everything set through FSX and I have no problems.Everything works fine. I have yet to purchase it because it was advise by PMDG not to use it. Does it work and should I go for it?
FSUIPC works perfectly with the NGX. Get the newest version from http://forum.simflight.com/topic/70785-new-versions-of-fsuipc-10th-february-2012/You need the registered version to set up controllers, but it is well worth the money. FSUIPC controls axis very accurately and gives many options.

you can do all kinds of setup tricks with FSuipcif you dont know it you dont miss itit grows on you

looks complicated.....what else can I do with this beside setting up the controllers...which I already have done thru FSX
for the fun of it:2 spare sliders, so, instead of reverse buttons, two full reversers, for NGX only (reverse buttons 'toggle' Cut)use WideFS (network), have FDC (flightdeck) run over networkcan (used to, run PlanG now, simconnect) run Flightsimcommander from networkhave FS Flightkeeper (log) run from networkhave RadarContact run from networkhave rather complicated View setting assigned to different aircraft (no W or A, but dedicated)though, I use LINDA now for lots of assignments, for my VRInsight Combo,Linda does not provide complicated assignment, this is then done with a FSuipc MACRO (sequential Commands etc)I still have Parking Brakes assigned to Slider (2 zones)and NGX Gear Up / Lock / Down set to Slider (3 Zones)have Spoilers Arm set to Button (easy), have Spoilers set to Slider (fsuipc)Flaps on slider, (but inaccurate on NGX, too many, use Up/Dwn switch), for 2/3/4 flaps planes (auto finds incements)etcetc(i have 2 xtra throttles, so 9 sliders in all)like I said, it grows on you

Do you have to set all this up for each a/c or one size fits all?..I have a Cyborg keyboard that assigns everything from gear to HUD (12 marco keys)..not to mention the 2 throttles quadrants. I have the gear,flaps and spoiler set up with increments settings already and they work flawlessly.I guess what I'm saying is if I get the paid version the only thing I see that would benefit from it is the WideFS. Since I don't have all the addons you have ie.PlanG,RadarContact,FDC,FS Flight Keeper..oh ya VRinsight Combo(whatever that is) I see no need. Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking it......What do you mean by "sliders"

Do you have to set all this up for each a/c or one size fits all?
I have a basic for startup C172 1throttle 1mixturethen a profile for different i.c. has Spoiler or not, variprop or not, 2throttle, 3throttle etcI end up with few basic setups and many special setupsbecause I always define (Resize&place) gauges to buttons, and these are allways at different numbers for every plane
..I have a Cyborg keyboard that assigns everything from gear to HUD (12 marco keys)..not to mention the 2 throttles quadrants.
f.i. with 2 throttles quads & MD-11you profile 3 throttles etc, and this is loaded automaticallywith many planes I have a 'curve' defined for sliders (Throttels)NGX runs away with minimum throtlle / many do, so the throtlle is defined to start flatRudderbrakes same, start flat, or you brake way to hard, same with rudder, start minimaletc
I have the gear,flaps and spoiler set up with increments settings already and they work flawlessly.I guess what I'm saying is if I get the paid version the only thing I see that would benefit from it is the WideFS. Since I don't have all the addons you have ie.PlanG,RadarContact,FDC,FS Flight Keeper..oh ya VRinsight Combo(whatever that is) I see no need. Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking it......What do you mean by "sliders"
slider = 'throttle' (or anything)it depends if you like to switch to moving 3 sliders all of a sudden when with a MD-11 or notor 4 sliders with a 747, or 2 with a Beechcraftand if you are into 'programming'like MD-11 had a lot of 'Mouse-macro' possibilities, you want that / or notadding hardware with 'buttons' all of a sudden gets really attactiveI have a Yoke, but allways my Joystick attached, use it for Slew & Taxi Views etcetc/?/

I have a CH Throttle Quadrant but I think you could do a similar thing with the Saitek one.In FSUIPC I have the leftmost lever set to spoiler and configured via the FSUIPC Axis Calibration. The 2 levers to the right of that are set to Throttle1 and Throttle2 respectively in FSUPIC, and they are NOT calibrated in the FSUPIC Axis Calibration (That appears to be what causes issues with the NGX.) The 2 levers on the far right I have set to the individual reversers, reversed, so that they pull back from the forwardmost position. I don't have a flap axis configured anymore as I use FS2Crew and my FO deals with flaps. On the rare occasion I need to mess with them, I use a switch on the CH Yoke.Joystick control is turned off in FSX. I find that with profiles, this gives me the best results without making me have to mess with other aircraft that I've already set up.-stefanI have a CH Throttle Quadrant but I think you could do a similar thing with the Saitek one.In FSUIPC I have the leftmost lever set to spoiler and configured via the FSUIPC Axis Calibration. The 2 levers to the right of that are set to Throttle1 and Throttle2 respectively in FSUPIC, and they are NOT calibrated in the FSUPIC Axis Calibration (That appears to be what causes issues with the NGX.) The 2 levers on the far right I have set to the individual reversers, reversed, so that they pull back from the forwardmost position. I don't have a flap axis configured anymore as I use FS2Crew and my FO deals with flaps. On the rare occasion I need to mess with them, I use a switch on the CH Yoke.Joystick control is turned off in FSX. I find that with profiles, this gives me the best results without making me have to mess with other aircraft that I've already set up.-stefan

I feel that profiling in the FSUIPC works wonders for me.The best feature of it is that you can set the button to do any action, and above that you can configure if it's for the current profile or if it's general.For instance, I have my com, trim, mouselook, brakes and some others set up as general (profile not checked), and then reverser actions are per profile.My profiles are simply either aircraft group or specific aircraft if needed, for instance:Cessna 172 (I use this one for all single prop piston)Boeing 737Boeing 747Boeing 757/767Twin Turbo PropPMDG MD11PMDG JS4100and so on...Now, I could rename some intoJet 2-engineJet 4-engineetcBut you see how much of the personal preference this is? There are no limitations...After you created groups, you can assign aircraft very easily.Beware, AXIS are fixed assigned, can't be unassigned without entering fsuipc.ini, there you can delete the aircraft only.

So you set up "profiles" for each game or A/C and then activate that profile when flying? is that right? I have the R.A.T.7 mouse and it has tons of profiles that I can assign to different buttons just like the Saitek throttles that work with FSX and NGX.But I can only use the key commands inside FSX to use on the mouse.If I get FSUIPC am I tied to those key commands? Because if not I will buy it right now!! That would mean I could assign anything to any button or "sliders" Right??So you set up "profiles" for each game or A/C and then activate that profile when flying? is that right? I have the R.A.T.7 mouse and it has tons of profiles that I can assign to different buttons just like the Saitek throttles that work with FSX and NGX.But I can only use the key commands inside FSX to use on the mouse.If I get FSUIPC am I tied to those key commands? Because if not I will buy it right now!! That would mean I could assign anything to any button or "sliders" Right??

So you set up "profiles" for each game or A/C and then activate that profile when flying? is that right?
better, it auto loads, because it can read what AC you're loading
I have the R.A.T.7 mouse and it has tons of profiles that I can assign to different buttons just like the Saitek throttles that work with FSX and NGX.But I can only use the key commands inside FSX to use on the mouse.If I get FSUIPC am I tied to those key commands? Because if not I will buy it right now!! That would mean I could assign anything to any button or "sliders" Right??
any button any sliderbut not you RAT7 xtra buttons i'm afraid, fsuipc wont be able to recognize that mouse extra buttons, only joystick and specialty FS Hardwareof course you can still use your RAT7 mouse the ordinairy way

Well I'm sold then.it sounds awesome!.... thanks for all your input..... one more question (always one more question).This looks complicated, is there a tutorial for setting up FSX?Well I'm sold then.it sounds awesome!.... thanks for all your input..... one more question (always one more question).This looks complicated, is there a tutorial for setting up FSX?

Now if only we can get the Saitek Pro Flight Multi Panel and Switch Panel working. What an awesome present that would be... LoL!