Sign in to follow this  
albx

Flight coming to Steam

I'm fairly certain that Flight can be installed from Steam and exist alongside the existing installation, but just to clarify how Flight is working through Steam without the game already installed, I uninstalled everything to do with Flight, then installed through Steam. Here's what I found:

Just a note: If you decide to do this, backup your Flight profiles first. And don't come after me if things blow up!

After I installed through Steam, I made sure the game launches, as there seem to be some issues with this. I was prompted in game to buy the DLC, but I was unconcerned as my next step was to reinstall them.

I opened the GFWL overlay, went to the Downloads section and was then sent to the Games for Windows Marketplace on the desktop. There I went to the downloads tab, and installed all my DLC.

I relaunched Flight, and all is back to how it was before I did this. The only minor issue, is that Steam is unaware of my DLC purchases through the GFW Marketplace, and does not display them on the DLC tab of the game properties in Steam. This is really of no concern though.

Any DLC purchased through Steam will issue a Reedem Code, which can then be entered into Flight. It will likely download it through the GFW Marketplace, but it might download in game like the airplane previews do.

I think that pretty much sums it up. There is really no reason to do all this if you already have the game installed. I just thought I'd give it a try to see how well the two services integrate. Which I'd have to declare as middling-well. I'd really prefer if DLC downloaded through Steam, but using GFW Marketplace is how all the GFWL titles do it.

Hopefully this puts any concerns to rest about what all this means for Flight. There are a few developers in the Flight group chat on Steam, so you can pop in there if you have any specific questions.

Good post. Thanks. I'd say that getting the DLC thru steam is much easier than GFWL in my case, as always seems to be a some firewall or other issue crop into GFWL. Hopefully it will be smoother than it has been. In fact it took 2 tries to get the update from GFWL installed yesterday.

And the Steam overlay is nice to have if you are an avid Steam user.

That is definitely an important note: even if you didn't download the Steam version of Flight, you can still buy the DLC codes and enter them into the regular version of the game if you want to get in on that 30% off sale!

... even if you didn't download the Steam version of Flight, you can still buy the DLC codes and enter them into the regular version of the game if you want to get in on that 30% off sale!

So, there is no reason to re-install the Steam version of Flight at all then??? Not touching the existing GFWL enviironment would seem to reduce any risk of losing anything already done and purchasing DLC through Steam might be a bit easier as long as the codes and download have to be done through GFWL in any case. Is this right?

Rick

So, there is no reason to re-install the Steam version of Flight at all then???

I personally do not see a reason, unless one just prefers running from the Steam interface.

I have Steam already as I have a sim I purchased through Steam that runs through it, but I do not see any benefit for what I do with Flight, to go through the pain of reinstalling through Steam and uninstalling my original install - plus the risks associated with doing so.

I personally do not see a reason, unless one just prefers running from the Steam interface.

I have Steam already as I have a sim I purchased through Steam that runs through it, but I do not see any benefit for what I do with Flight, to go through the pain of reinstalling through Steam and uninstalling my original install - plus the risks associated with doing so.

+1

I just dont see the point... Im not against steam as such i have it for my trainsim railworks. For most stuff its a piracy protection/drm type thing but flight/ aoeo already has gfwl. I dont see the point at all in the steam version - something else running in the background using valuable resources and two verifications to go through steam and gfwl. Makes no sense whatsoever for me. Only advantage i can see is it will give them access to sreams huge customer base

I just dont see the point... Makes no sense whatsoever for me. Only advantage i can see is it will give them access to sreams huge customer base

yeah kind of stupid to go after another area of opportunity for revenue... makes you wonder how Microsoft can call itself a business... Rolling%20Eyes.gif

I just dont see the point... Im not against steam as such i have it for my trainsim railworks. For most stuff its a piracy protection/drm type thing but flight/ aoeo already has gfwl. I dont see the point at all in the steam version - something else running in the background using valuable resources and two verifications to go through steam and gfwl. Makes no sense whatsoever for me. Only advantage i can see is it will give them access to sreams huge customer base

Benefit #1: As you noted, access to a big installed user-base, many of whom will jump to try a new interesting looking "free" game.

Benefit #2: Microsoft plans to get out of the "MS Points" transaction business this year. Selling DLC through Steam provides them with an alternative that they don't have to manage themselves.

Being able to buy the DLC using the normal Steam purchase for the exact amount, instead of via Microsoft "points" in pre-defined amounts (400/800/1600/4000) is a definite win in my book.

Also not having to give MS my credit card again so it can be hacked again like it was last Sept via the XBOX Live FIFA 2012 hack, is a personal win.

Glad to see Flight on Steam, will be transferring my use to Steam.

--John near KPAE

Well the benefits are already clear. Steam has great sales! 30% already isn't too shabby.

I guess what I was trying to confirm is that we can retain our existing Flight install and still purchase future DLC from Steam with no issues. Having the option of some of Steam's package deals might be good for future DLCs but it would seem that this is possible without going through all the uninstall and install process that some have already done?? In other words, is it really necessary to install Flight from Steam before one can purchase DLCs from Steam? I have no issues with doing future business through Steam but several have re-installed while others state that DLCs from Steam are just a redeemable code with downloads coming from GFWL regardless. I'm thinking I'll just have to try a new purchase without all the re-installing exercise before I'll know for sure.

Rick

Sorry for the hard time Rick.

I am almost certain what you say is correct... if you have Steam installed (which if not, as others have noted, adds another "layer" ) you would get a code and use thru GFWL. Don't know why re-install would be necessary...

Let me try to check this for a "100%".

Rob

Edit:

Yes you can do what you said Rick... just purchase now at Steam if you wish (and you'll get a code for GFWL).

The new MS Flight Steam group: http://steamcommunit...microsoftflight

So far, not a single one of us beta testers who did not already have a Steam account have been granted posting priveleges yet. I've been validated now for thirty-six hours, and still have no access to the forum(s).

I opened a Support Ticket and received an automated acknowledgement, but now at hour fifteen, have yet to have a human response. Valve has failed to impress me thus far!

What's even more interesting is that several of the Microsoft devs haven't been "approved to post" either! :LMAO:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator