Sign in to follow this  
Kerberos42

Which of you simmers was at the controls of this 767?

I've flown into Japan numerous times in my life and nearly every year at one time. Each and every time I land at Narita it's a roll of the dice with the plane being sent up and down on wave after wave. I'm guessing it has to do with the strong winds and the mountains being upwind and not too far from the airport.

One year, I was in a 747 that was definitely below 1000 feet on final with flaps fully extended that started to descend so fast that I momentarily I rose out of my seat and was held in by my belt. The pilot seemed to be very aware of the windshear event and had already given full throttle and pitched up a fair amount. A few oscillations later we were firmly, very firmly, put down on the runway.

Another incident that I am reminded of by that video is that of China Airlines 611. In this case a tail strike took the plane down 22 years later due to a terrible repair job and poor inspection procedures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_Airlines_Flight_611

Dang those cracks in the fuselage do not look good at all. That won't buff out easily.

Think the pilot is going to have a talk with the Chief Pilot?

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

Nothing Bondo and sand paper can't fix.... As a traveler.. I think I'd keep that tail number handy somewhere... and request the next ride if it's parked at my gate.

I'd just be happy the plane landed right side up. Either way though, pretty tough landings. I bet the FA's were asking the pilots if they landed or were shot down.

"Ladies and gentlemen, please remain seated while the Captain taxies what's left of our aircraft to the gate."

This has happened before and fixed..

http://www.nycaviati...early-complete/

ram-damage-talfano-620-602x349.jpg

ram-repair-talfano-620.jpg

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

There you go then, eleven million Dollars later and good as new.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I wonder how such damage would appear inside the cabin or whether the passengers would notice anything. Does anybody know if an accident report exists for this incident? I would like to know more.

This has happened before and fixed..

Reminds me of an old car repair with a different color door or panel. I hope they painted it before the SLF got a look.

LOL!! They should paint it purple or something for the full effect... with rattle can paint!

Oh im sure if you were in the plane behind the "flex" spot... and you didn't have your eyes closed... and having flash backs of what it was like to be in diapers... you would have seen that tube wobble like it was a garden hose!

As was pointed out, repairable... It's just that corporations tend to want to do things on the cheap... and some countries are better then others. Would you want to fly in that thing if it came from say.. Yemen?

"Just show me the Plane Fax"

Well, rumour has it that Boeing allegedly decided to take a bit of the blame for the JAL 123 747 repair to the rear pressure bulkhead that failed and caused the crash of that 747, even though it wasn't really their fault, since they in fact did not make the repair on that occasion, and the repair which was made did not meet their recommendations for such a procedure. This supposedly because JAL was a big customer. That is only a rumour and in no way confirmed, but if it is even remotely close to the truth, then it seems likely that the same thing would apply to ANA, since they too are a big customer. Publicity-wise for Boeing, it would do them no favours to make a repair, or even allow one to be made by someone else, that did not cut the mustard. It simply would not be worth them letting it happen from a marketing standpoint.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Guest Ps762

Hi!

As a sim pilot I can only say that on landing bringing the nosewheel down gently is much harder in the sim than it looks like in real life. Not in this particualar vid but in most videos the nosewheel gently lowers to the ground as the aircraft slows down. In flightsim at least from my experience it's impossible to do this, the nosewheel of the airliners just drops to the ground. Of course it could be that real world aviators are just infinitely more skilled!

Many thanks,

Pierre

I wonder how such damage would appear inside the cabin or whether the passengers would notice anything. Does anybody know if an accident report exists for this incident? I would like to know more.

Apart from the hard touchdowns you would probably see the tube wobble as one of the other posters mentioned. Whether you would see any more depends. There's quite a thick (certainly compared to the actual skin) layer of insulation between the cabin and the skin, as well as a plastic interior skin panel. As long as the deformation wasn't large enough to dislodge the interior panel or overhead lockers you wouldn't see it from within the cabin.

Must have been his accu-feel settings.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png