Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Helicopters for FSX...Which is absolute best?

Do people actually fly those wingless wonders? I deleted all my whirly birds..I know they hate that term..anyway my favorite is none of the above..

I'm not sure how that was meant to add to the thread! Let's stay on the OP's topic, pretty-please?

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

good flight dynamics can be had for any helicopter by using the HTR package from Fred Naar (available at hovercontrol). vortex ring state, ground effect, afcs, etc .all possible. so, a good model by cera. nemeth, or whatever can be upgraded to have 'realistic' behavior.

Thanks for the heads up for that info. I hadn't been over to that site for a while and didn't know that existed. Just downloaded and will give it a try on the default 206.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

That's the main reason I never bought it. That and I don't have realistic chopper hardware so what's the point of flying an ultra realistic helo without something that resembles helicopter controls?? (Maybe this is the reason I stick to GA fixed wing)

Ryan,

While it is true that a dedicated setup is useful to flying choppers, it doesn't need to be somehing expensive.

Here is what I did the first time I ventured into flying the dodosim...

I looked for a cheap (and I really mean cheap) joystick which I then dismantled by taking out the springmechanisme.

It doesn't take more than that if you have already rudderpedals (which I presume you have for flying ga-aircraft)

And if you're really into flying those birds, then you can start saving to buy a more elaborated set but until then, that crippled joystick will do.

I was lucky and I bought a shelved thrustmaster stick from a friend and it works just fine.

Luc Brusselmans

Belgium

Ryan,

While it is true that a dedicated setup is useful to flying choppers, it doesn't need to be somehing expensive.

Here is what I did the first time I ventured into flying the dodosim...

I looked for a cheap (and I really mean cheap) joystick which I then dismantled by taking out the springmechanisme.

It doesn't take more than that if you have already rudderpedals (which I presume you have for flying ga-aircraft)

And if you're really into flying those birds, then you can start saving to buy a more elaborated set but until then, that crippled joystick will do.

I was lucky and I bought a shelved thrustmaster stick from a friend and it works just fine.

Luc Brusselmans

Belgium

You are absolutely right. this a i load of bull that you MUST have ultra realistic set of controls etc etc to enjoy the dodo. I fly it all the time with a normal cheap joystick without even set of rudder pedals. I just use the joystick twist grip.

in the end it is what you can afford. It has never ever been a requirement for flying the dodo AND still enjoying it..!

Stan,

If you do get into helicopter flying and happen to be using EZdok, I've configured a special EZdok virtual cockpit camera for my Dodosim (which will work with similar helicopters) that simulates vibrations inside the cockpit. I'm not a pilot nor have I ever flown in a helicopter which begs the question "is the simulated vibration realistic?" Only real pilots could call that one! I'd be willing to share a copy of the camera file if you or other person would be interested. Here's a link to a video I made a while back to demonstrate the result.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Subb-7_u_s&feature=player_embedded

Regards,

JJ

Stan,

If you do get into helicopter flying and happen to be using EZdok, I've configured a special EZdok virtual cockpit camera for my Dodosim (which will work with similar helicopters) that simulates vibrations inside the cockpit. I'm not a pilot nor have I ever flown in a helicopter which begs the question "is the simulated vibration realistic?" Only real pilots could call that one! I'd be willing to share a copy of the camera file if you or other person would be interested. Here's a link to a video I made a while back to demonstrate the result.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Subb-7_u_s&feature=player_embedded

Regards,

JJ

I looked at this and from what I have experienced while flying the TH-67 (Version of the 206) is I get the most vibration while on the ground, usually when opening the throttle (As the rotor is accelerating to normal limits). While flying I get some vibration, but not like you have depicted. It is more of a higher frequency vibration that I honestly dont notice anymore. You do get noticeable shudders when entering transverse flow (10-20kts) an entering ETL (16-24kts) and also when slowing down through these speeds. High bank maneuvers and slowing down with steep descents you will also notice more of a vibration. But during normal cruise? Nothing like what was shown. The bell engineers did a fairly decent job balancing the rotor system and vibrations like that would be cause for concern. But when I fly tomorrow (weather permitting) I will double check, I could just be used to it by now.

BTW: What is going on with your torque/TOT/Gas Producer gauge?

Nick

Nick Hatchel

"Sometimes, flying feels too godlike to be attained by man. Sometimes, the world from above seems too beautiful, too wonderful, too distant for human eyes to see …"
Charles A. Lindbergh, 1953

System: Custom Watercooled--Intel i7-8700k OC: 5.0 Ghz--Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7--EVGA GTX 1080ti Founders Edition--16GB TridentZ RGB DDR4--240GB SSD--460GB SSD--1TB WD Blue HDD--Windows 10--55" Sony XBR55900E TV--GoFlight VantEdge Yoke--MFG Crosswind Pedals--FSXThrottle Quattro Throttle Quadrant--Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS--TrackIR 5--VRInsight MCPii Boeing

While the HTR package is indeed an improvement on FDE for other heli models, it doesn't bring them to the level of realism of the Dodo, IMO. I do wish the Dodo had a VC like the CH-47, which is phenomenal, or even the Aerosoft Huey, but the FD excellence makes up for the difference. And I fly all helis with the same settings as my aircraft: no null zone and full sensitivity on stick, no null and 50% sensitivity on pedals.

I looked at this and from what I have experienced while flying the TH-67 (Version of the 206) is I get the most vibration while on the ground, usually when opening the throttle (As the rotor is accelerating to normal limits). While flying I get some vibration, but not like you have depicted. It is more of a higher frequency vibration that I honestly dont notice anymore. You do get noticeable shudders when entering transverse flow (10-20kts) an entering ETL (16-24kts) and also when slowing down through these speeds. High bank maneuvers and slowing down with steep descents you will also notice more of a vibration. But during normal cruise? Nothing like what was shown. The bell engineers did a fairly decent job balancing the rotor system and vibrations like that would be cause for concern. But when I fly tomorrow (weather permitting) I will double check, I could just be used to it by now.

BTW: What is going on with your torque/TOT/Gas Producer gauge?

Nick

I still remember training in TH-57s. The vibration on the ground made it sort of goofy talking on your radios or on intercom with the instructor.

Keith Guillory

While the HTR package is indeed an improvement on FDE for other heli models, it doesn't bring them to the level of realism of the Dodo, IMO.

While I generally agree with the above statement, I would say that HTR has the potential to bring any helicopter to 80%-90% of the realism level of the Dodo. It really depends more on the quality of the profile developed for any given helicopter than on HTR itself.

But, having the 80%-90% of the realism level of the Dodo is not merely an improvement, it's a huge improvement over the default helicopter FDE, which I would rank at about 20% of the Dodo realism. So in my opinion HTR is an absolute must have for anyone who, more than occasionally, flies helicopters in FSX.

Could you suggest which profiles for which payware helis you think approach that 80-90% threshold? The ones I've tried haven't risen to that level, and I'd be very interested in trying the ones that do.

I do not know which ones you have tried, but you could try the following alternate for the default Bell 206:

http://www.hovercont...ip&img=9&tt=zip

Granded, you may not get the VRS effect that Dodo has but you get almost everything else and, compared to the default 206 FDE, IMO you get at least 80% of the Dodo flight dynamics quality.

Other profiles that I can suggest are:

the Cera Bell 222

http://www.hovercont...zip&img=&tt=zip

the AlphaSim AH-1W SuperCobra

http://www.hovercont...zip&img=&tt=zip

the freeware Piasecki H21c (the Flying Banana)

http://www.hovercont...p&img=12&tt=zip

the freeware Eurocopter AS332L2 by Dirk Fassbender

http://www.hovercont...ip&img=6&tt=zip

this alternate profile for the default EH-101

http://www.hovercont...ip&img=6&tt=zip

and the freeware H&S Design EC-135 that for the moment you can get from the Hovercontrol HTR forum.

Great stuff, Nick.

Thanks for sharing.

Stan

Hi guys.

Great topic. It would be nice to hear your oppinions about HTR with default Bell 206.

What do you think of HTR flight dynamics. Some people think that HTR offers more real , more twichy flight dynamics as in real Bell 206 compared to Dodosim!?

I'm also wondering about the new Bell 407 Milviz is coming out with. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM