Sign in to follow this  
stephenbgs

Regretful purchases for FSX

Everything that doesn't work properly is too expensive. As for developers, I don't think they care much at all. Most of them have a take it or leave it attitude, so no wonder so few of them make it big time. This is a really small market and word gets around pretty quick.

That may be true for some of them but there are a few that are reading this thread and stay active on the threads. One of them already contacted me about something I posted earlier in the thread and I bet there are others lurking, taking notes. Some of them really love what they do and are good at it. I really enjoy their work!

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

That may be true for some of them but there are a few that are reading this thread and stay active on the threads. One of them already contacted me about something I posted earlier in the thread and I bet there are others lurking, taking notes. Some of them really love what they do and are good at it. I really enjoy their work!

Indeed. There are a hanful of excellent developers out there!

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

I don't really regret any of my purchases- except for the abacus stuff I got in a sale, when I was first getting into payware. Really wish I had done my research.

As I only have FSX I have to introduce a piece of Hardware as my biggest regret.

It is also a very exspensive regret and the item is VR Insight GPS-5. There is nothing wrong with the item, it is just me that does not like it. I set it up, then dismantelled it, placed it back in the pack box and it's now sitting under my desk just collectiing dust.

James (jaydor)

"Let me X-Plane where I fly in 2020"

PMDG J41 (some bug fixes and a cabin

The J41 already has a cabin modeled, plus animated passengers if you enable the option.

For bugs? Ill be honest, I fly my jet stream a ton and I don't notice any of these bugs that people in the turboprop forum constantly complain about.

The plane looks and flies like a dream. I have had zero issues with it.

It really is worth the purchase.

Sent from my iPhone...typing errors imminent

typing errors imminent

LOL.

I do have some issues I'd like improved. I'm no complainer about ice so that's a non issue (sorry guys). It would be good if they'd work on the wx radar, some switches behave a little odd, sometimes have some start up issues, maybe a tweak to the overspeed, some hardware integration work for some switches (not a bug I don't think...just nice to have), Also, there are some cruise issues that I and others have experienced. Also, for me, the cockpit looks really bad compared to the quality of the airplane overall.

It is a great airplane and I do love flying it. I can't reasonably expect that they'd spend a ton of money to fix things and not get paid. I'd be happy to pay up.

P.S. I 'd also like to know what ESP the copilot uses to figure out how the start locks disengage...LOL.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

The J41 already has a cabin modeled, plus animated passengers if you enable the option.

For bugs? Ill be honest, I fly my jet stream a ton and I don't notice any of these bugs that people in the turboprop forum constantly complain about.

The plane looks and flies like a dream. I have had zero issues with it.

It really is worth the purchase.

Yea iam with you got no problems at all the ice works fine with my set up except it doesnt ice on the side windows though

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

lol nothing wrong with the product marketability

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

lol nothing wrong with the product marketability

absolutely Pete...it's a marketing issue that can easily be solved IMHO.

Not regrettable, per se, but this is just another example of Buyer Beware. http://forum.avsim.net/topic/339767-fs2crew-voice-addition-for-pmdg-md-11/page__st__50 . For the record, I promised I wouldn't list it as a regrettable purchase, but I never did say I wouldn't post a link to my disappointment of the product's marketability.

Bryan specifically asked you not to post about the MD-11 lacking voice in the regrettable thread (this one) and yet you did anyway, just by linking that thread.

You should ask a mod to delete it. Least you could do.

If I bought a flight simulator expecting it to work with my joystick, then get it home and find out it's keyboard only, I'd regret the purchase. Yes, I've been in flight simming that long.

If I bought a sim expecting it to work with TrackIR, and it didn't, I'd be a bit upset, but wouldn't count it as a regrettable purchase. I might mention it in a thread about regrettable purchases. Maybe it's a disappointing purchase.

I think SeanBH falls into the second category.

If I bought a coffeemaker, say, from Cuisinart, and found that by design or neglect there was no shielding below the heating element and it scorched my counter top, and didn't get resolution from customer support, I'd never by a Cuisinart appliance again. Their stainless steel cookware is top notch, though, if you don't want to spring for Calphalon at twice the price. What does this have to do with FSX? Well, sometimes I drink coffee while flying. :D

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Yea if I bought something that didnt do what it suppose to do i send it back for repair or a replacement, but since there's nothing wrong with the fscrew2 version of the md-11 other than its a button control version and not a voice version which it didnt say it was in the first place. Maybe it a lesson for him to read before he purchases next time instead of assuming things

Peter kelberg

This has been an incredible thread full of advice and opinion without adulteration.

Both sides: please keep it that way.

He can regret the purchase if he felt confused. You don't have to agree with him. If you think it was his oversight just shake your head and move on. He does make a valid albeit overblown point. FWIW I continue to support FS2Crew and I think the products are innovative. I feel that they have many, many satisfied customers. But you've gotta be fair. Let the man speak. His opinion will be scrutinized and preserved herein so that others may agree or disagree.

• Upvote 2

Anthony Cacciatore

Well with GA the only voice you usually hear is your own muttering what's perhaps the most common "last words" on many cockpit voice rcorders :P The difference being of course that the latter is tragic whereas your own mutterings merely represent a waste of time?!

I think perhaps an English Lesson is in order? The subtle difference between "REGRETFUL" and "REGRETTABLE" (see the thread title) is that the former refers to one's own feelings about one's own actions. The Latter more usually referes to feelings about the actions of others?

When I read reviews of anything I look at the bad reviews and faults first. It "cuts to the chase". If there are issues you won't find them in the "Awesome, Wonderful, Superb etc.etc." reviews. Often the bad reviews highlight specifics and not always to do with the product but the way it is being used by the reviewer. Once you can see what the issue is and why it's reported you can make your own mind up about it's validity to your own needs. If the points are irrelevant to your potential needs then they still might be valid to others.

This thread is about REGRETFUL purchases and so far it's been a very instructive and useful one.

Geoff Brown