Sign in to follow this  
stephenbgs

Regretful purchases for FSX

This thread is about REGRETFUL purchases and so far it's been a very instructive and useful one.

And as has been seen with several contributions already, "regretful" does not necessarily require a quality, performance or support issue. Sometimes it isn't the add-on, it's the buyer, and the buyer is happy to admit that.

What I like about this thread is that people seem to give quite definite reasons as to why they regret buying something, which is much more valuable to the reader than announcing that something just "sucks" whereupon someone else comes in with "no, it rocks", cue flame war and loss of interest in the thread by everyone except those directly involved in trading insults.

That this hasn't happened so far in this thread is a tribute to the quality of the contributions, I think.

Hope I haven't jinxed it, ha ha.

H

Not regrettable, per se, but this is just another example of Buyer Beware. http://forum.avsim.n...11/page__st__50 . For the record, I promised I wouldn't list it as a regrettable purchase, but I never did say I wouldn't post a link to my disappointment of the product's marketability.

UPDATE!!!! In the same fashion that we've come to expect with great products from FS2Crew, they have confirmed their integrity with a VERY quick resolution to my issue, and it is exemplary! My hat goes off to Bryan and the FS2Crew for clarifying on the product page that the MD-11 version is button only- seemingly within minutes of our conversation. This is all I asked for the sake of those reading this and other threads pertaining to the MD-11 product. I can't thank FS2Crew enough for taking appropriate action on this issue. Thanks to all of you for your contribution to this point.

Guest Raul_Hernandez

I think perhaps an English Lesson is in order? The subtle difference between "REGRETFUL" and "REGRETTABLE" (see the thread title) is that the former refers to one's own feelings about one's own actions. The Latter more usually referes to feelings about the actions of others?

this was already picked up in the first couple of posts on the first page ....... the late worm just gets laughed at :wink:

this was already picked up in the first couple of posts on the first page ....... the late worm just gets laughed at :wink:

Well he who laughs last, laughs longest ....because if you actually read what that poster said it's not the same thing at all. The Topic starter said Regretful. Try and keep up... :P :lol:

Geoff Brown

I picked up the CaptainSim 737-200 during their sale on Friday as I've been eyeing it for a while but was hesitant due to negative reports I've read about CS aircraft. I've done a couple of flights in it and so far have really been enjoying it. Navigating the 'old school' way is lots of fun.

It's far from perfect and has it's fair share of issues most of which I've been able to find a work-around for. Hopefully CS will release an update for it soon enough.

So far have no regrets about this one.

So far have no regrets about this one.

Cool, but isn't this the "Regretful purchases" thread... :huh:

Cool, but isn't this the "Regretful purchases" thread...

Yes I've already provided my list in a previous post.

Just thought I'd thrown in something that surprisingly didn't end up on that list :rolleyes:

Time to add another one to the list.

DBS Airport GPS

Looks great in the screenshots and the video, but what you get is a non functioning product.

But before you discover that, you have to get through their abysmal product registration process. Through FSX you have to create a product key "request" file, that saves to your desktop and is then emailed to an activation email account. You wait 24+ hours to get that key before finally getting to use the software.

Beyond that, installed and tried to apply their latest patch. Patch would install but the version number in FSX stayed the same (preventing me from adding the software to ANY freeware/payware aircraft panel).

Contacted support, waited 3 days to get a reply which was simply "reinstall the product." Already did that 6x during those 3 days.

Then they told me to reinstall over the existing installation. That broke everything. Nothing worked.

Then I was told to delete my product key and request a new one....going through the same 24+ hour process as before.

7 days and 2 product keys later, I was greeted with an error message trying to install the GPS window to my aircraft panels.

The developer's explanation was I had UAC (user account control) enabled in windows and I wasn't running FSX as admin. All completely false. I have UAC disabled and I always run FSX as admin..

It's been 36 hours since I've heard back from the developer after my last email. I don't think they know how to fix it.

What's strange is DBS is the same group that did Walk and Follow for FS9, a hugely successful product that I owned and used with no problems. Don't know why this one has so many issues and bugs.

Despite the discomfort of the few sensitive souls, I think this thread is the most useful thing I've found in the AvSim forums in quite a while. My hope is that the bad actors in this hobby accept this feedback as a much-needed kick up the rear.

Onto my regretted purchases:

CS 727: paid full price, the -200 is woefully underpowered and struggles to reach FL250. Beautiful VC and exterior animations though.

CS 757: Can never achieve proper TOGA N1, I had many, many overruns trying to get his bird off the ground before giving up on it.

Traffic360: Not impressed at all. Watching two identical AI pushback, taxi and then takeoff together like they are siamese twins is painful to watch. The developer claims this is normal FSX AI behavior, and just "wait ten minutes, it will fix itself".

Things I love and wouldn't be without:

PMDG 737NGX: Nothing comes close. The only airliner I will fly now, everything else is so lame in comparison. Wish they'd do an Airbus.

FsGenesis mesh: I too have noticed the odd plateau, but IMHO transforms FSX completely. In combination with GEX, it adds a depth of immersion close to that of ORBX.

ORBX, although disappointed somewhat with England. PNW is stunning.

Carenado Cessnas: delightful, and just like the real thing.

RealityXP GNS500W: pricey, but totally realistic. A necessity if you're flying low-and-slow.

RC4: Looks and acts dated, barks at you a lot, but the only game in town if you don't want to do VATSIM.

TrackIR: An absolute must-have.

OPUS Weather engine: one word: overcast. No other weather engine I have seen can faithfully re-create this most common weather pattern.

I think I may have just bought the first Orbx scenery I regret buying. I picked up EGHR, wanting a payware enhanced airport to use as a base when flying in the UK scenery from them. I've only had the chance to fly it once for a short time, but I'm not that impressed. For one thing, there are no parking areas to spawn into. That may be a limit of FSX for this field, but I count on the payware airports to give me the full experience, just as if flying in life there. I want to be able to spawn and start up and taxi to a runway and fly. And the airport itself, while nice, doesn't appear that much nicer than some of the default UK airports I've flown to so far. And I don't see hand-placed autogen or PR scenery in the immediate area, so basically it seems to be the airport itself.

I have almost all their scenery and almost never fly anywhere else because of how good it is. Love Felts, which I also recently bought.

There have certainly been other purchases regretted, mostly aircraft. I'm pretty picky about scenery. I regret several of Caranado's birds (Seneca, Bonanzas), all the Iris aircraft I've bought, and the few Vertigo aircraft I've bought, particularly the RV-8, and the CS Herc. I haven't made up my mind yet about the FR Super Cub. But I've bought a LOT of planes, and I have to say I've mostly been happy to have done so. I only keep about 20 of them in the hangars anymore, and fly less than half of those regularly, but it's nice to be able to pull out the odd bird from time to time and give her a whirl.

I think perhaps an English Lesson is in order? The subtle difference between "REGRETFUL" and "REGRETTABLE" (see the thread title) is that the former refers to one's own feelings about one's own actions. The Latter more usually referes to feelings about the actions of others? ...

This thread is about REGRETFUL purchases and so far it's been a very instructive and useful one.

Ok, beating the dead, off-topic horse into utter oblivion :P, I think Paul K on the first page was closer to the mark.

Regretful describes someone's emotional state (I feel happy, I feel sad, I feel angry, I feel regretful about xxx).

Regrettable describes an act or event or circumstance that is regretted (a regrettable choice, a regrettable selection, a regrettable lack of funds, regrettable comments).

Had I bought some add-ons that I wished I hadn't, I would feel regretful for having made some regrettable purchases for FSX.

But no matter, since everyone understands what the OP meant. :smile: (Now it's time for my OCD meds.)

Vic

For me would be the flight one Mustang as it's a bit like a high maintenance gf that you know you should walk away from but just can't.

Bought it when I had XP, then because of OOM errors was restricted where I could fly it, no photorealistic for example. This prompted me to do a completed fresh install of Windows 8 Pro 64 bit and it's the only add on I have that won't run.

Really like this aircraft when I can fly it where I want and will do again when a patch for Windows 8 compatability comes out. It's regretful because it's caused a lot of frustration but you keep sticking with it as you know it's good when everything's just right. ;)

Every product from FSD (Flight Sim Developer). I purchased many for FS9 and later updates for FSX or native FSX planes, worked fine initially, but when I needed to reinstall their products it turned into a nightmare. Customer service terrible, insulting and lacking all commitment to solve problems with their activation server.

Torfi

Every product from FSD (Flight Sim Developer).

Just curious Torfi... if you have the PC-6 Porter from FSD (for FSX).

Captain Sim 777. Bugs too numerous to count. Sim not flyable in v 0.9 Support does not exisit.

C:|mydocuments\mypictures\my signature.htm