Sign in to follow this  
SirStiggie

Carenado TBM-850 - New Pics!

Based on everything I've read on this thread I still feel like getting the Malibu is the smarter choice over the TBM, any thoughts?

As an owner of the Carenado Malibu I can highly recommend it. It needs a few fixes of its own (an "optional patch" from Carenado and an adjustment of the fuel flow in the cfg) but it's a nice add-on. If you're deciding between the TBM-850 and Malibu, I would suggest you hold out for a week or two and see how it plays out. The TBM-850 is sure to receive an update or two in the first few weeks, as do most Carenado releases.

Keep in mind that although they look similar, the TBM-850 is in a different league than the Malibu JetProp DL which Carenado chose to simulate. I'd guess the TBM cruises about 70+ kts faster and doesn't redline at 172kts indicated like the Malibu does.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

As an owner of the Carenado Malibu I can highly recommend it. It needs a few fixes of its own (an "optional patch" from Carenado and an adjustment of the fuel flow in the cfg) but it's a nice add-on. If you're deciding between the TBM-850 and Malibu, I would suggest you hold out for a week or two and see how it plays out. The TBM-850 is sure to receive an update or two in the first few weeks, as do most Carenado releases.

Keep in mind that although they look similar, the TBM-850 is in a different league than the Malibu JetProp DL which Carenado chose to simulate. I'd guess the TBM cruises about 70+ kts faster and doesn't redline at 172kts indicated like the Malibu does.

Thanks for the help

Based on everything I've read on this thread I still feel like getting the Malibu is the smarter choice over the TBM, any thoughts?

If you've got an RXP GNS530 and 430 to put in the panel, yes.

The G1000 in the TBM is a "work in progress"..

Give it some time, SP1 or SP2 could change that situation..

Bert

Wow, this a/c looks really, really good. I just need it to fun fly around mountains and lakes; so I'm not really concern about the speed that much. In fact, I make those power-speed corrections myself on the a/c  cfg I  chose. But, it really looks nice. I will be getting this a/c. The first GA I will purchase in my sim life. I hope it goes well.

FL260 is the 'sweet spot" for best performance for the real aircraft. Ensure your have zero winds to confirm.

I'm going to purchase this tonight. If there is any issue with slightly lower speeds I'm sure Carenado will correct it- certainly no deal killer for me.

Winds don't matter. We're talking true air speed. I had OAT if -36c I'm looking at the real chart from the POH. For my weight I should be able to get the 315 published speed.

And the brakes are quite poor. The LAHSO group is 5 .. Which means it can stop as fast an ATR42... So there should be no problem even without reverse pitch.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I guess they really want us to use that reverse thrust huh? lol

i turned the brake scalar up a tad in the cfg to .6 (was .4 originally)...you might prefer it even higher like .8

Has anyone managed to come close to the 300KTAS after selecting the 850SHP mode?

And why does it have a special 850SHP mode?

That's like the Audi R8 and Sport Mode. Sport mode in a sports car, #####?  :crazy:

Outside of the speed issue, real pilots seem to think it flies pretty accurately.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Who are "the pilots?" Not knocking just a question. If a TBM 850 pilot says this is accurate the. I'm dumb I've got no problem admitting my mistake of missing the detent. Still at work so I can't test it but it sounds like its still missing some power. I watched a YT video and they were truing out at 328 KTAS!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Who are "the pilots?" Not knocking just a question. If a TBM 850 pilot says this is accurate the. I'm dumb I've got no problem admitting my mistake of missing the detent. Still at work so I can't test it but it sounds like its still missing some power. I watched a YT video and they were truing out at 328 KTAS!

The speed definitely seems to be off, that's why I why I said "Outside of the speed issue." :) 

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

The speed definitely seems to be off, that's why I why I said "Outside of the speed issue." :)

Thanks for the link interesting comments that guy has...

The detent was my main problem but I'm still far too slow. FL260, OAT of -26, TRQ should be 115% (I'm at 108.9), at 7100 lbs I should be truing 317 (this is real world POH the carenado one is a little slower).. I'm truing 287 KTAS in the sim. Close but still far off. far off aka 1/2 mi per minute off...

Here's the real one if anyone wants it - page 326 has the good stuff

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=408CA931940D5E3C!193

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Thanks for the link interesting comments that guy has...

The detent was my main problem but I'm still far too slow. FL260, OAT of -26, TRQ should be 115% (I'm at 108.9), at 7100 lbs I should be truing 317 (this is real world POH the carenado one is a little slower).. I'm truing 287 KTAS in the sim. Close but still far off. far off aka 1/2 mi per minute off...

Here's the real one if anyone wants it - page 326 has the good stuff

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=408CA931940D5E3C!193

Try modding your aircraft.cfg with http://forum.avsim.net/topic/408297-tbm-850-review/page-2#entry2672529

Let us know how that works as I'm still at least 3 hours from getting home.

The good thing is, the thrust / drag relationship already in the model appears to be very accurate with the existing power available - so you get a proper speed for the actual power the FDE is putting out, even if it isn't reaching full power.    So you only have to get it up to realistic rated power at 120% torque and 2000 rpm, and be able to sustain that level of power up to 28,000 (where power should drop off) to get to charted max cruise speeds.   Getting there may be a bit problematic - I've been tweaking a mix of prop diameter, max torque available, and gear reduction ratio, to enable a full 850 shp (per AFSD) and 120% to at least 28,000 ft, with very accurate cruise numbers at both altitudes tested, 18k and 28k.

The negative effect is prop speed limiting is messed up, so it is very easy to overspeed prop rpm or overtorque... it requires very careful manual control of throttle and prop lever.   Still working on it, if I find a good end results, with realistic prop and throttle control,  I'll post that here.    Not optimistic this will end up in a refined manner, lol.   But worth the effort.    Also trying to tamp down on excessive nose yawing in turbulence.

It's far too slow at altitude. You can tell Bernt did not do the FDE. The MFD shakes around while idle on the ground.

I do like the new clickspots though.

I've noticed the MFD info overlay shifts back and forth slightly all the time, this has to be a bug. And I had gotten used to the old click spots on the SR-22!

All in all, quite happy with the plane and insure they'll address as many issues as they can.

Carenado has released a service pack for the TBM-850:

Taken from their Facebook page:

Changelog:

-Cruise Speed performance at high altitudes corrected. (FDE developed by Bernt Stolle).
-Several windows, messages and menus of G1000 were improved.
-Some knobs operated backwards. Now they are right.
-Pulse lights system added.
-Inertial separation and Prop O’Speed test now has action over the performance.
-Ignition signal corrected for AUTO mode.
-Bank function added to the autopilot.
-ITT now indicates in Celsius as it is in the checklist.
-Some stickers were misplaced.
-Doors sounds adjusted.
-Other small bugs fixed

You don’t need this patch if you downloaded the package after May 23rd, 2013 1500 GMT.

Looking forward to testing this when I get home  B)