Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wulfbindewald

Improving FSX via windows

have a look here. I am really impressed of the added value in the scenery appearance,

e.g.  colour depth, colour graduation. BTW not only for FSX relevant.

Thanks to Jaydor.

www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/58637-improving-fsx-via-windows/

Wulf

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Link does not appear to be working

Yu will find this article in the ORBX forum under "Tips, tricks and technics".

It may be nec. to be registered. Sorry for any iconveniance.

Wulf

Go to the Control Panel, --> Color Management --> Advanced, and make it look like this.  This is a Great Tip!!

There's a second part to the post, though - he is suggesting a wrong method for setting up your Paging settings. 

There are a couple of reasons that may cause OOM's (besides high graphics settings), the major one being a fragmented and/or possibly non-contiguous page file. Either of these can also cause disk "thrashing" as well, though rare nowadays.

To fix this, Rt-Clk on "My Computer" --> Properties,  --> Advanced System Settings --> Advanced, and open up the top box "Performance" --> "Settings", and then another "Advanced". Inside that one, click on the "Change" button, so that this screen pops up: Click on the "C drive, to highlight it, then click into the "Custom Size" checkbox.: make each of the size boxes equal to 100(MB). The system drive needs at least 40MB, so 100 is comfortable. Click the "set" button when done, then go to any other Hard Disk Drive (not an SSD), and also not the FSX drive. Make each box equal 3072 (3 GB), and again, click the "Set" button.

Then reboot.  I should also add that my current system has only 8 GB of ram, with 2048 (2GB) assigned for swap space. A Paging File larger than 3GB on a Windows 7, 32 or 64-bit system built for FSX is a total and utter waste of expensive disk space. Better to backup your user files, or something equally useful, to it instead.

The next way of fighting the dreaded OOM is by changing the Desktop Heap config, and to do that, follow these instructions here (doc pdf).  

What you have now done is to guarantee that you will not a). run out of swap space: B). run out of contiguous swap space, and c). You will gain some small amount of performance from the act of taking the swap activity away from the system disk and its operations.

The next way of fighting the dreaded OOM is by changing the Desktop Heap config, and to do that, follow these instructions here

This is probably the best tip out of any other tips put out by us friendly guru's!  But it has been updated for Windows 7 and now Microsoft has a simply Microsoft Fix that will do it automatically instead of manually - - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947246.  I suspect Paul they were reading all of your "How To" guides.  In any case, I was getting unexplained OOM's even with all my settings near the default.  I had this tweak a long time ago but forgot to reinstall it when I reinstalled Windows 7 recently.  Expanding the heap limitation has allowed me to increase settings and get even more eye-candy (like LOD_Radius of 6.5).  It's unbelievable how great this one little fix does to your FSX and your computer system.  I believe everyone should employ it whether they are getting OOM's or not.

Best regards,

Jim

Does this go for non DX10 users aswell? Wayne

Does this go for non DX10 users aswell? Wayne

Yes, absolutely!!

they were reading all of your "How To"
  :lol:  Naaah... don't think so Jim! This site and "Auto-Fix" has been around for a long time and was penned by someone a whole "Heap" smarter than me....

This is one of the most valuable threads on FSX ever. (Next to the AVSIM FSX guide and the PMDG uninstall/reinstall article, of course!)

Thanks to all contributors!

I tried that heap fix, but upon looking at my registry, my 2nd number was already at 20480. However my 3rd number I believe was 768, and I changed that to 1024. Not sure this will make a difference.

Also this orbx suggested display setting, is this for people who don't use enhancers like sweetfx? I'm assuming people who use sweetfx don't really need to follow this article then?

Nothing to do with SweetFX, Cap'n. This is to do with the memory allocation associated with your login and your computer session. 

Here is the explanation, and by the time you're a quarter of the way through, you'll understand why I'm not explaining it myself...  

All the Best,

Click on the "C drive, to highlight it, then click into the "Custom Size" checkbox.: make each of the size boxes equal to 100(MB). The system drive needs at least 40MB, so 100 is comfortable. Click the "set" button when done, then go to any other Hard Disk Drive (not an SSD), and also not the FSX drive. Make each box equal 3072 (3 GB), and again, click the "Set" button.

A little confused here :blush: I have an ssd that has system and fsx onto it. Is this fix for me too?

Hi Jewel: No - if you only have that one drive, your only option is to keep it on your "C" drive. Still make it a "Custom" file, though, as in Image1 here, and just change the part where I'm using my "E" drive (I call it Stuff") - just make yours apply to the "C" drive. The principle is for you to control the size of the page file - not Windows. If you use one of the good doisk defraggers - they will also allow you to place it on the disk at any location you might specify, such as being close to the outer tracks.  

Go to the Control Panel, --> Color Management --> Advanced, and make it look like this.  This is a Great Tip!!

Thank you Paul ! This Tip improves the Image-Quality or does it something performance-wise ?

I have an ssd that has system and fsx onto it. Is this fix for me too?

When I was building my system a couple of years ago I read an article about SSD life-span in which the main point was that solid state drives shouldn't be used in a situation where there are more or less constant writes, erasures, more writes, more erasures, etc. A file gets written to the SSD, the user deletes the file, and the OS must then erase the blocks on the SSD where the file resided before those blocks can be written to again (WIN-7 does this automatically via the built-in TRIM function). The author argued that because of these constant file operations, using an SSD for the Page File or for daily downloading could shorten the life of the drive. The suggestion was to use a HDD for both the Page File and downloads, and use the SSD only for the OS and applications because the data on the solid state drive would then remain much more constant, thereby extending the life of the drive.

I suppose how valid this caution is could be debated, but nonetheless, I keep my Page File on a 2-TB HDD, the same one I use to store my system backup images. It's big enough that there is always contiguous space for the Page File which I set to "System Managed" (default 8GB). I also have another HDD for downloads and to store the files I decide to keep.

I can't locate the source article that I read, but this one hits on some of the same points.

On another note, I made the changes suggested in this thread for my monitor settings and the difference is pretty dramatic. I don't use DX-10, but I notice the improvement especially in REX clouds. Colors are richer and the darker and lighter textures in the cloud images seem to blend better. The only negative I saw is that the NGX cockpit is noticeably darker when starting C&D at night, but I've clicked those Battery and Emergency Lights Arm buttons so frequently that I don't really have a problem finding them. Thanks to all.

Emergency battery and lights? Where exactly can I find that?

Hi Jewel: No - if you only have that one drive, your only option is to keep it on your "C" drive. Still make it a "Custom" file, though, as in Image1 here, and just change the part where I'm using my "E" drive (I call it Stuff") - just make yours apply to the "C" drive. The principle is for you to control the size of the page file - not Windows. If you use one of the good doisk defraggers - they will also allow you to place it on the disk at any location you might specify, such as being close to the outer tracks.  

Thanks for your reply Paul! So I put 100MB or 3072MB? :unsure:  :biggrin: By default my system uses 8175MB.

Emergency battery and lights? Where exactly can I find that?

Battery and Emergency Lights  :smile:

Having only one drive you need to make it at least 2048 MB (2gig).

Forget the 100 MB - that's only used if you're putting the main paging file on another drive.

The standard has always followed the 1.5 times the system's memory, but given that one can now install 64 GB of ram on many/most retail motherboards - that would be ridiculous to suggest following that methodology. You're running a single, 32-bit app on a 64-bit system, plus some weather, a few airports, some addon AI, an NGX and some 4096 clouds: you will "nibble" that 2 GB swap space. If you're in doubt - make it 3072 -3GB! - and yes - it goes on the "C" drive, as you have no other drive - ok!  :wink:  

All the Best,

Paul, Jim or other experts...I'm trying to see if this tweak would give me an improvement with my FSX setup.  Windows 7 obviously is on the C Drive and FSX is on the F drive which is an SSD.  I also have a D Drive which is a non SSD.  My F drive is solely for FSX and FSX related stuff.  Jim listed a link to a Microsoft website that gives you the option to have it done automatically or manually.  If you didn't use the link Jim listed, what exact steps should I take to apply this or would I be better off using Jim's Microsoft link?

If you could kindly break it down for me step by step what I would need to do, that would be most appreciated....thanks!!

If you could kindly break it down for me step by step what I would need to do, that would be most appreciated....thanks!!

If you elect the automatic method, you click on a link on the Microsoft site and download a small file and run it. This will make the required adjustments to your registry. Further down on that page it describes step-by-step how to do the registry edits manually.

Thanks I appreciate it!  I'll take a look at the manual method, but if I'm not feeling lucky enough, choose the automatic approach

Having only one drive you need to make it at least 2048 MB (2gig).

Forget the 100 MB - that's only used if you're putting the main paging file on another drive.

The standard has always followed the 1.5 times the system's memory, but given that one can now install 64 GB of ram on many/most retail motherboards - that would be ridiculous to suggest following that methodology. You're running a single, 32-bit app on a 64-bit system, plus some weather, a few airports, some addon AI, an NGX and some 4096 clouds: you will "nibble" that 2 GB swap space. If you're in doubt - make it 3072 -3GB! - and yes - it goes on the "C" drive, as you have no other drive - ok!  :wink:  

All the Best,

OK! Thanks Paul!  :give_rose:

OK, I'm going to show some ignorance here, so if this has been explained I'm missing it, so please be patient. I dual boot my system (Win 7 x 64 on both boots). One boot configuration (my main one) is used for my everyday stuff and applications, stored on 2, 1TB  HDD's. My other "system" boots off of a 120 gb SSD, divided into 2 partitions. One partition holds the OS and a few utilities and the second partition contains FSX and related applications, I also use a 2nd 120 gb SSD for my ORBX sceneries and more FSX related stuff. I like this setup because I overclock my system  when I boot to my FSX setup,(4.2 ghz from an I7 950) have configured the OS to a bare bones state, and have setup the system and FSX using the famous "Nick N" setup guide. I have also set up FSX to run DX10. I took a lot of time setting up the system,  researching how to "properly"  configure everything, and I am extremely pleased with the results. I have a 99% crash free, 0% OOM configuration. 

So...my question is...I'm using a 3072 gb paging file on my SSD/FSX system drive (6gb system ram). Should I change it using the MS "Fix It" scheme, manually change it, or just leave well enough alone? Will a larger paging file make a difference on an SSD system?