Sign in to follow this  
TOGA-saurus

Finally! DC-8 For FSX!

I'm waiting for the boxed version of the DC-8.  Hope they get the fps fluctuation bug fixed by then.

I'm glad to hear you guys are enjoying this new release.  I look forward to flying this old lady.

If they are done with it then a decent classic 747, the CLS one doesnt cut it, too much ommisions, and the VC isnt that good to look at.

They've been working on an update for a long time to make the 747 more complex.  But I have a feeling they've stopped.  It's been years since they announced it and we haven't seen anything.  It's a CLS plane, but JF has provided a list of what CLS have been working on since they're one of the distributors.  http://www.commerciallevel.com/?id=16

But I have a feeling they've stopped.

IIRC, JF had a short status update on the project just a few pages back on this thread.

IIRC, JF had a short status update on the project just a few pages back on this thread.

Cool.  I'll check it out.  Thanks.

I am pretty sure I know why folks are having frame rate issues with this one. The texture sheets are almost ALL 2048 X 2048. Even tires engines,  etc. While that is great if you are running the latest behemoth video card, its probably a bit of overkill for so many texture sheets being that large. Im pretty sure this is why the exterior textures take so long to load also ;)

I have been working on resizing one airframe and it does seem to be helping quie a bit. Even the base texture files in the -21 folder have these large textures. Still working on it though...resizing to 1024 X 1024  looks very nice. Another issue I believe is the interior....I dont need it with a tubeliner. Some nice textures for the windows look better and help without all those polys inside having to get displayed. Might be nice to get a no 3D cabin version if that is possible.

Other than things already mentioned its a decent add on for the price and Im enjoying it.

I'm waiting for the boxed version of the DC-8.  Hope they get the fps fluctuation bug fixed by then.

I'm glad to hear you guys are enjoying this new release.  I look forward to flying this old lady.

They've been working on an update for a long time to make the 747 more complex.  But I have a feeling they've stopped.  It's been years since they announced it and we haven't seen anything.  It's a CLS plane, but JF has provided a list of what CLS have been working on since they're one of the distributors.  http://www.commerciallevel.com/?id=16

if its been years then I consider it as abandonware.. stalled project.

I am pretty sure I know why folks are having frame rate issues with this one. The texture sheets are almost ALL 2048 X 2048. Even tires engines,  etc. While that is great if you are running the latest behemoth video card, its probably a bit of overkill for so many texture sheets being that large. Im pretty sure this is why the exterior textures take so long to load also ;)

I have been working on resizing one airframe and it does seem to be helping quie a bit. Even the base texture files in the -21 folder have these large textures. Still working on it though...resizing to 1024 X 1024  looks very nice. Another issue I believe is the interior....I dont need it with a tubeliner. Some nice textures for the windows look better and help without all those polys inside having to get displayed. Might be nice to get a no 3D cabin version if that is possible.

Other than things already mentioned its a decent add on for the price and Im enjoying it.

I do agree fully on that! I also think the imterrior is to blame for the slow texture loading times and the stutter/flicking fps.

Please JF give us a version without that cabin, and as said before... some cure for the stutters and flickering/juming fps.

...Othrewies, I LOVE this bird!!!

Per

Excellent work and findings sir.  :cool:

hopefully JF can look at this.

I like seeing developers get involved and communicate their desire and intent to assess feedback and improve their release.

Kudos to you Just Flight.

on the otherhand, I would have definitely purchased this baby, but just hearing a bit too many negatives, it makes you kind of  having a wait and see attitude.

hopefully some of these issues will get ironed out.

as far as price, yes that is a great price for an addon such as the dc-8, but for me personally, I would pay a few extra dollars and less issues at time of release.  I fully understand due to the complexity and nature of fsx, their will always be problems, we all have different systems and addons to work with...

I really want to here some good things about this plane. 

If I just started out with fsx maybe just a couple of years ago, instead of 1990's, I would have rang up my credit card instantly.  But just burned up by too many developers in the last couple of years, makes me extra careful, not to pick on anybody (Captain Sim]

Concluding it sounds like Just Flight is committed to fix some of the issues, and I probably will just hold out till a patch comes out..

Good to see you around again Captain!

Also good too see a lot of respected FS community individuals rolling up their shirt sleeves to see if they can help out in any way.

Watcha got in the spray booth Jim?

Room in there for a Bare Metal/ Orange Aeromexico?

I am on the fence with this plane. Can someone convince me? I do own CS 707 and visually it's appealing but in some other aspects it lacks. How is the DC-8 flight model in comparison all bling aside?

John Sark

Ill be working on Delta when i get the textures resized ;)   Someone already has done it, but its a bit too dirty for me so ill be giving it a whack sometime soon.

on the otherhand, I would have definitely purchased this baby, but just hearing a bit too many negatives, it makes you kind of  having a wait and see attitude.

hopefully some of these issues will get ironed out.

as far as price, yes that is a great price for an addon such as the dc-8, but for me personally, I would pay a few extra dollars and less issues at time of release.  I fully understand due to the complexity and nature of fsx, their will always be problems, we all have different systems and addons to work with...

I really want to here some good things about this plane. 

If I just started out with fsx maybe just a couple of years ago, instead of 1990's, I would have rang up my credit card instantly.  But just burned up by too many developers in the last couple of years, makes me extra careful, not to pick on anybody (Captain Sim]

Concluding it sounds like Just Flight is committed to fix some of the issues, and I probably will just hold out till a patch comes out..

Yep we're listening and all feedback be it direct to us or posted here or on other forums is getting collated and then passed to the developer. Work underway on initial pack. Can't promise anything on content or timings at this point but we will try our best and do what we can to improve what we think is already a pretty special Add-On

I am on the fence with this plane. Can someone convince me? I do own CS 707 and visually it's appealing but in some other aspects it lacks. How is the DC-8 flight model in comparison all bling aside?

I would wait a bit on the DC-8. My reasons:

1) large performance drop ( FPS drop with stuttering) when taxiing at any airport and anytime I bank in the sky. Drops to the low teens (on my system anyway). No other default or payware planes ( PMDG, Coolsky etc....) that I have see these issues under identical settings and circumstances.

2) FDE- able to land effortlessly, 260,000 lbs @ 130 knots, no flaps and nose trimmed all the way down to 15 on indicator. I configured the CS 707 the same and shot the same approach. It was a bear the whole way down the approach and stalled at 140 knots, short of the runway as it should. Not the kinds of FD I would expect from a DC-8.

3) EPR- Idles at 2.2 EPR. So I have no real EPR values. Really detracts from the experience, especially with steam planes. Just not a realistic experience with such parameters.

If you install the V-one gauge ( see their forum) for the cs 707 you'll get fairly close real world values. After doing that I set T/O thrust ( EPR 1.84, SL - temp.10c, per RW docs).  Fully loaded on 16L at KSEA, it chewed up just the amount of runway it should while reaching Vr as per RW docs . This done with accurate EPR values. Fuel cross feeds perfectly also and the 707 does require trim and flaps for landing, at 260k lbs anyway.  I put a double INS in my 707. It has Doppler by default. So the 707 is my plane of choice for flights 5000 nm or less. CS visuals are always great. DC-8 lags behind here. But, the DC-8 is priced fair.  Personally, I'd rather pay more and get more but that's just me.

Biggest difference is JF has a conscious, is very fair, and will listen to customers and fix things, where CS could care less.  I turned my DC-8 in but will reconsider as the fixes come. The deal breakers for me are the three you see above. Just my opinion, my personal preferences. There are many who are enjoying it I'm sure. And that's a good thing.

Thank you very much Brian that's exactly what I needed to know and yes I have installed the V-one Gauge for the CS707. I guess I'll wait for a patch to come out for the DC-8 and based on that decide.

John Sark