Sign in to follow this  
TOGA-saurus

Finally! DC-8 For FSX!

Pays to read the manual and taking the time to carefully examine and understand everything in this cockpit for this vintage bird.

I'm still finding new things.

JF's done a great job with it.

Yes, I "bit" and bought this, and thankfully, it's in a different league to the L-1011.  Like all Aeroplane Heaven developments it's not perfect and some real areas of strength (FDE always great in AH developments), and some real areas of weakness (no sounds for switches in cockpit etc, lack of sound immersion).   But AH always make planes that I like! .... (I fly their DC-6B more than anything else at the moment, including PMDG, because I just love the type).

For £19.99 it is so worth it, and although it will never be an absolutely top drawer favourite, it is a nice one to say to yourself now and again oh I forgot I had that, I'll go fly it.

I've added the Friendly Panels FMC1 to the aircraft (just uses default flight plans, but looks good; a heck of a lot better than having a GPS500 in an airliner!).

I'm, happy with it - but please add some cockpit sounds!

Thanks for the VC night lighting pics EngineRoom! Looks quite good.

A couple of questions on the topic: Are the levels variable or simply on/off? Are the floods/dome separately controllable versus panel back-lights? Are different zones (panel, overhead, pedestal, fuse panel...) separately controllable or is all-in-one?

All have separate controls- red or white lighting. No less than six lighting controls that I've counted so far. Haven't had time yet to experiment in a fully dark night time setting.

the flap gauge does work if you turn the battery switch on.

LOL, RTFM for me then!

Anyone know if it's possible to get the CIVA INS to work in this one?

Cheers

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Who is AH ?

Aeroplane Heaven.

They create most of the 'classics'  that Just Flight have published;  Connie, DC-6, Comet.. etc.

Anyone know if it's possible to get the CIVA INS to work in this one?

+1. A CIVA would be great for the long haul flights and not unrealistic considering the planes lineage. I use it on all my oceanic 707 flights.

BrianG

If I am right the CIVA (simufly) works with all airplanes, its just steering the heading when the AP is on.

But only in 2D popup.. now having it in a VC would be party time.

Yes, I "bit" and bought this, and thankfully, it's in a different league to the L-1011.  Like all Aeroplane Heaven developments it's not perfect and some real areas of strength (FDE always great in AH developments), and some real areas of weakness (no sounds for switches in cockpit etc, lack of sound immersion).   But AH always make planes that I like! .... (I fly their DC-6B more than anything else at the moment, including PMDG, because I just love the type).

For £19.99 it is so worth it, and although it will never be an absolutely top drawer favourite, it is a nice one to say to yourself now and again oh I forgot I had that, I'll go fly it.

I've added the Friendly Panels FMC1 to the aircraft (just uses default flight plans, but looks good; a heck of a lot better than having a GPS500 in an airliner!).

I'm, happy with it - but please add some cockpit sounds!

Thanks for the kind words and the feedback Dave. Glad you're enjoying this one.

I've passed on the comments about the cockpit sounds.

Thanks for the kind words.

As of now we are collating feedback on the DC-8 and where possible we'll include fixes and improvements in an update. We're proud of the DC-8 for sure and believe AH have done a sterling job with it. At the same time we're aware it's not going to be perfect and will not fit the bill for some of you but as mentioned if at all possible we'll improve it over time with updates - but no promises on timings.

The price is fair we believe and based on trying to make it as affordable as possible but with one eye on ensuring we don't go bankrupt of course :).  In no way is the price linked to the type or standard of aircraft we've supplied. We don't believe it's at Abacus level (despite gripes and the odd shortcoming).  It's designed for simmers who want more complexity, quite a lot more, than our F-Lite range but maybe can live without the great complexity that a product say from PMDG would offer. We believe it looks great, flies nicely and captures the essence and complexity of the real machine.

Really glad the majority of you are enjoying it.

Best,

Scott

I may bite, but my experience with the Viscount package was terrible - a complete waste of money on my part that really put me off this publisher. I was excited to have a 1960s turbo propliner to fly - Air Canada had Viscounts and Vanguards and I flew on them several times as a child. 

The VC textures looked like those first ones in FS2000.  At least the pics of the VC in the DC-8 are far superior. 

Some of the photo's used to make this could be useful

118861.jpg

I really wish the DF team were still together.  I'd pay another $100 (seriously) to have the DF 727 in FSX.  The CS version is nice to look at, but even the flight director doesn't work properly. And then this plane plus the Coolsky DC9 and we'd be in 1960s jetliner heaven. 

I'd pay another $100 (seriously) to have the DF 727 in FSX.

+1

and another $100 for a DF / Mr Golding DC-8! ......   but as that's not going to happen, this one is pretty good too. :smile:

Understanding this is a pre-SP1 release, how does she compare to the Capt Sim 707 in terms of FDE, VC, and complexity? I'm assuming power settings like EPR are not particularly accurate.

Hans Soule

I really wish the DF team were still together. I'd pay another $100 (seriously) to have the DF 727 in FSX.

Yep. What he said.