Sign in to follow this  
TOGA-saurus

Finally! DC-8 For FSX!

Well based on quick testing at least they don't seem to be overpowered like the L-1011 felt to me at least, models -10 and -12 with rather weak engines seem to eat quite a lot of runway under full load like one would expect them to do while the -40 version with more powerful engines seems to take off a lot quicker.

By quickly looking at the amount of working switches and such stuff I would say this one has some more systems modeled than the L-1011 although according to manual some of those are just dummy animated switches. 

Overall I think it's well worth the price for me as I don't mind missing a couple of systems. 

Well foreign European customers didn't really seem to have any trouble buying Boeing's although they had to go through same shipping costs that it would have taken to transport parts from Europe to the US. 

But I guess the extra costs might have indeed played a part here. 

I don't know anyone (even back then) that would have a problem peering out the window at a jet cowling that has a Rolls Royce logo on it.   :good:

Am I right in thinking that this model only uses VOR navigation? ...... no INS, Doppler, etc ?   (NO, I'm not expecting a FMC :P).

Can someone please test the cockpit night lighting? I didn't see it in the most recent video. When it is good, developers tend to highlight it.

Also, are the stobes and nav lights tied to each other?

Thanks

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

RELEASED!!!

http://www.justflight.com/product/dc8-jetliner-10-40-download

24.95 ain't bad either  ^_^

Talk about inflation... it's $29.99 now. :angry:

(Never mind - I just noticed Jesse is in Ireland. Mine appears to be priced in US$)

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Can someone please test the cockpit night lighting? I didn't see it in the most recent video. When it is good, developers tend to highlight it.

Also, are the stobes and nav lights tied to each other?

Thanks

+1

(They claim "Full cockpit lighting with atmospheric instrument backlighting.")

Also - Any issues under DX10?

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Well foreign European customers didn't really seem to have any trouble buying Boeing's although they had to go through same shipping costs that it would have taken to transport parts from Europe to the US.

From what I know, BOAC was only allowed to buy 707s after they were fitted with RR Conways. My guess is that Douglas fitted the DC-8 with RR engines to widen the appeal to the british market. (The continental european market couldn't have cared less and merrily bought what it wanted.)

Purchase decisions were, as typical for the day, mostly influenced by national pride. British/French designs (Caravelle, Viscount, 1-11) got onto the market earlier than their american counterparts, so the US chamber of commerce(?) let airlines import them as long as no comparable domestic design existed. BOAC's above mentioned battle was due to the VC-10 being available as a domestic alternative (with inferior economics).

This attitude started to water down at the end of the 60s and thus we ended up with Concorde, the757 being launched with RR engines, CFM (SNECMA-PW) for 737s, A300s (with GE engines) at Eastern and an estimated ten billion other Airbus jets flying for US carriers...

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Meanwhile back on topic... :lol:

Has anyone had a chance to hand-fly it yet? Any glaring bugs? Does it work in DX10?

I really want the stretched super 63 version. That looked WAY COOL! The one and only DC-8 I flew in was on it's way back from Nigeria to London via Rome for refuelling. Aaah..the days when strange exotic airliners popped in to out of the way airports to top up the tanks :)

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

I for one miss the sounds of the DC-8, stupid noise regulations!  If you don't want to hear it, don't buy a house near the airport.  I remember watching planes land at Stapleton in Denver and loved the high pitched almost whistle of those four jets as they flew over us on final.  I have been looking for a FSX DC-8 for a while.  Going to have to get this one.

I for one miss the sounds of the DC-8, stupid noise regulations!  If you don't want to hear it, don't buy a house near the airport.  I remember watching planes land at Stapleton in Denver and loved the high pitched almost whistle of those four jets as they flew over us on final.  I have been looking for a FSX DC-8 for a while.  Going to have to get this one.

So true I miss the sounds of the old 737-200s and 727s even at cruise alt I could hear them rumble from Inside my house. when I was a kid Id always run outside to see if I could see it in my binoics those where the good ole days when a jets smoked and FS98 was as real as it got. Funny story back in the day my house was below an airforce low level route so C-130s would fly over at.about 300agl. One day it was F-4s my dad saw the unit number and called the base about it. The commander was suprised that my dad complemented them insted of complain. But my dad was also C-141 pilot in Vietnam and desert storm.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

So far I'm loving it!

All systems I've tested so far work perfectly. More to do as I've only spent a short time with her tonight.

Hand flying is excellent and the roll rate feels spot on for what I'd expect and what I've seen. Excellent feel.

Only gripe so far would be stall behavior and the ability to hold the nose way off the runway even as low as 25kts. FDE needs some work there.

At stall I'd like to see it drop a wing or pitch down sharply instead of just slide down nose high. This can be fixed in short order.

Sounds are outstanding. Beautifully done release- lot's of bang for the buck.

It's a keeper and she will see probably more hours than I've ever amassed on a single FS aircraft.

Congrats on an excellent release Just Flight!

Gene

Gene,

Thanks for your assessment. It's helpful. If you have the Coolsky DC-9, how would you ( or anyone who has both) say the JF DC-8 compares  in systems modeling and graphics ? If the DC-8 is close to the CS DC-9, I'd surely go for it.

Thanks again.

If you have the Coolsky DC-9, how would you ( or anyone who has both) say the JF DC-8 compares  in systems modeling and graphics ? If the DC-8 is close to the CS DC-9, I'd surely go for it

I'm no Gene, but I do have the DC-9 and now the DC-8. I've spent about an hour and a half in this thing so far, with about 7 minutes flying time. I've just been zooming around looking at all the little details. I must say, they have done an amazing job on the 3D model, every gauge in the VC is 3D with no exceptions. The texturing is very very good too. I have not found any blurries anywhere yet. I would definitely put this aspect of the plane on the same level as the Coolsky DC-9!

The detail gone into the engine sounds is absolutely incredible. Both the JT3C and RR Conway engines are perfectly recreated, and there isn't just a copy and past of some sounds to the other engine, each engine sounds very different. The sounds I would rate as 10X better than the DC-9. One thing the is the lack of "click" sounds when you flip a switch. I'm sure this will be fixed in a service pack.

I really haven't gotten much experience systems wise. But I had great difficulty trying to start the engines (without having read the manual) and failed, that's a good thing, systems are complicated from what I saw.

All in all, I highly recommend this plane. It's pretty cheap too for what you get, £19.99

Best purchase since the 777X!

Jesse Casserly 👌🏼

Add me as a friend to go fly on MSFS: JesseC757

https://www.youtube.com/user/JesseCasserly757

💻 i7-10750H 2.6 GHz / 5.0 GHz, 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD, 1TB HDD, RTX 2080 Super

Saitek X-56 HOTAS