Sign in to follow this  
TOGA-saurus

Finally! DC-8 For FSX!

I agree :( , but I'm now wondering what I might do with all those cockpit photos, now that there's a decent model for them to be put on B)

Exactly Mr. Golding- I know of no perfect aircraft right out of the gate on release day.

Given time the JF DC-8 will realize it's full potential.

Even if they did .for me that VC is really too much too look at.I mean the exterior looks nice  but I sit in my vc most of the time and I honestly could not  justify paying even 2 quid for that VC. Of course  this is my opinion and other  folks will prob think  differently.

I think you made your point about 4 or 5 posts ago..  :t0152:

Exactly Mr. Golding- I know of no perfect aircraft right out of the gate on release day.

Given time the JF DC-8 will realize it's full potential.

Some of the photo's used to make this could be useful

118861.jpg

Cheers

Paul Golding

I agree :( , but I'm now wondering what I might do with all those cockpit photos, now that there's a decent model for them to be put on B)

Paul you tease!

Even if they did .for me that VC is really too much too look at.I mean the exterior looks nice  but I sit in my vc most of the time and I honestly could not  justify paying even 2 quid for that VC. Of course  this is my opinion and other  folks will prob think  differently.

For £20 what are you expecting? I agree that some of the VC textures aren't that polished but the important bits (ie the instruments) look great and I guess the lack of VC texture detail can only help framerates for pepes on lower spec PC's.

The aircraft I fly more than any other in FSX is their Flying Club X Seneca. VC is basic but the exterior looks good, the engine sounds are great and the flight dynamics are spot-on. That's what I want in a flight simulator. An aircraft that accurately simulates flight! If this new DC-8 DOES fly accurately to book figures then it's a steal for the price they're asking. I'll forgive the odd basic texture or two.

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

For £20 what are you expecting? I agree that some of the VC textures aren't that polished but the important bits (ie the instruments) look great and I guess the lack of VC texture detail can only help framerates for pepes on lower spec PC's.

Valid point indeed

The aircraft I fly more than any other in FSX is their Flying Club X Seneca. VC is basic but the exterior looks good, the sounds are great and the flight dynamics are spot-on. That's what I want in a flight simulator. An aircraft that accurately simulates flight! If this new DC-8 DOES fly accurately to book figures then it's a steal for the price they're asking.

Spot on! The LHS MD80 comes to mind here but I had to let it go in favor of the CS DC9 because I always suffered low FPS in the Maddog.

RE Thomason Jr.

For £20 what are you expecting?

Value is in the eye of the beholder. And even if  I will now   anger skully by saying that was only my opinion (he already said that I was beating a dead horse) (btw skully   :Party: ) I'm saying  it again.

Enjoy your dc8.

Must be a slow day over at the Captain Sim bashing forum..

As a kid my first time in an airplane was on a DC-8 "Stretch" variant with CP Air, flying from Toronto to Prestwick Scotland. I recall it had RR engines (I still remember seeing the RR seal/tag on the engines from my seat). Back then they would let you sit up front in the jump seat, give you a few post cards and even a deck of cards (that I still have!)

We flew to Vancouver on the "Sky Bus" one spring. A red eye that stopped at Winnipeg and Calgary enroute to Vancouver (visiting those airports during the wee hours of the AM). I was in the jump seat from Calgary to Vancouver leg and we came across the rocky mountains just as the sun was coming up behind us. The captain pointed out a large mass high above us and told me it was ash clouds from Mt. Saint Helens, it stretched south as far as I could see. It put in perspective how large the mountain must have been and inspired a trip to see her many years later (2008).

That old bird left an impression on me. I was always hoping Paul would have done his DC-8. The 727 the Dream Fleet team did was second to none.

The JF version seems a budget version (and is priced as such).

Does it have an INS at least?

"The JF version seems a budget version (and is priced as such)."

I'll gladly put the price up if you think we've priced it too low...

(seems we can't win)

Simon

Just Flight

Skully - and we want to oblige with the new pics.

Is it DX10 compatible?  (as in tested with DX10 mode with or without Steve's DX10 controller)

Would love to this in my garage.

Thanks, Rob.

I agree, for £20 is a great deal, and after all very few developers are taking care of the classics. I hope JF may release some day a Caravelle, BAC 1-11, VC-10 or a L-188. Good work on the DC-8 JF!

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Alexander Colka

I agree, for £20 is a great deal, and after all very few developers are taking care of the classics. I hope JF may release some day a Caravelle, BAC 1-11, VC-10 or a L-188. Good work on the DC-8 JF!

+1 for a Caravelle. Beautiful aeroplane.

Have you tried David Maltby's very nice BAC 1-11? Just reinstalled it on my DX10 FSX system. Flies very nicely and great FPS with a good VC.

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

"The JF version seems a budget version (and is priced as such)."

I'll gladly put the price up if you think we've priced it too low...

(seems we can't win)

Simon

Just Flight

I do not get what you mean here?

As I said, it is a budget/Basic product and priced just as such. What can't you "win" with there? Perhaps you took what I said the wrong way...

And you still didn't answer my question (Does it have an INS? I suspect it does not).

Also, would like to see the night lighting on the panel.

If you want a highly detailed DC-8 done to the level of a PMDG Boeing, or perhaps the Coolsky DC-9 you are going to be disappointed. If you want something that you can jump in and fly in relatively short order, captures the look and feel of a DC-8 and you aren't too concerned about recreating real world DC-8 procedures to the Nth degree then this is definitely worth considering.

JF have been around for a long time now, they shouldn't be strangers to anybody who has been around this hobby for any real length of time. They have plenty of products available for a long time now and there are plenty of reviews and threads around the various FS sites detailing their products. They've carved a niche out for themselves as producers of middle of the road stuff and don't really cater for the kind of flight simmer who gets all moist when thinking about spending three hours meticulously planning their next PMDG 777 flight.

At the end of the day they are producing interesting aircraft types at a decent pace, and they aren't charging over the odds for them. They support their stuff with patches and their customer support is decent enough - you can get a refund without too much hassle. Their loyalty points system is also highly commendable as is their recent practice of holding short term fire sales of recent products at rock bottom prices. There are plenty of other developers and publishers out there operating with shoddy business practices far more deserving of our criticism and ire.

To criticise JF because their DC-8 doesn't feature the kind of systems depth and fidelity found in other addons from developers who take far longer to put stuff out and charge much more money is very disingenuous. To paraphrase Basil Fawlty, what more do you want for £20? The moon on a stick?

And you still didn't answer my question (Does it have an INS? I suspect it does not).

There isn't an INS. To be fair though the early era DC-8s featured in this package wouldn't have been fitted with an INS until later in the DC-8's career.

JF are usually quite receptive to customer wishes, so I'd imagine if enough people ask for it they'd consider adding an INS in an upgrade pack later on, much like their BAe146 has an optional basic FMS.

+1 for a Caravelle. Beautiful aeroplane.

Have you tried David Maltby's very nice BAC 1-11? Just reinstalled it on my DX10 FSX system. Flies very nicely and great FPS with a good VC.

Yes I've tried all of them and are amazing but I'm looking for a complete FSX experience.

Alexander Colka