Sign in to follow this  
TOGA-saurus

Finally! DC-8 For FSX!

Bah....From what I'm seeing in the manual JF provided, NAV2 (and the FO's HSI) doesn't work. This is a game breaker for me.

When you're flying VOR-VOR you really need NAV2 + another HSI for the more complex procedures. I tolerated the lack of NAV2 in the Tristar because there's an INS but this isn't the case in the DC-8.

The VC does look quite good however, except for one thing - the fonts. the numbers on the airspeed indicator look way too big. I'm not a fan of Simcheck-like fonts and art style.

Purchased and downloaded, I'll install it later. At £20 it's not too steep and to be honest I've spent more on guff FS addons in the past.

The DC-8 is a favourite of mine - I used to live under the approach into runway 10 at Manston EGMH and remember the MK Airlines DC-8s were a regular sight flying over the family home about ten/twelve years ago. Hopefully JF will get round to doing the stretch eights and we'll get an MK DC-8-62/63.

I flew the HJG DC-8s to death in FS9, some of my favourite aircraft in that sim. It's a real shame the Paul Golding/Dreamfleet DC-8 never saw the light of day.

Well this is unexpected. A DC-8? Looks good from what I've seen, might as well get it.

Gene,

Thanks for your assessment. It's helpful. If you have the Coolsky DC-9, how would you ( or anyone who has both) say the JF DC-8 compares  in systems modeling and graphics ? If the DC-8 is close to the CS DC-9, I'd surely go for it.

Thanks again.

Brian, I don't have the Coolsky DC-9 but I do have the older Coolsky Super 80 Pro and the JF DC-8  certainly does surpass that model graphics wise and to some small extent in systems. The DC-8 of course does not have has modern avionics as the Super 80 though.

Bah....From what I'm seeing in the manual JF provided, NAV2 (and the FO's HSI) doesn't work. This is a game breaker for me.

When you're flying VOR-VOR you really need NAV2 + another HSI for the more complex procedures. I tolerated the lack of NAV2 in the Tristar because there's an INS but this isn't the case in the DC-8.

The VC does look quite good however, except for one thing - the fonts. the numbers on the airspeed indicator look way too big. I'm not a fan of Simcheck-like fonts and art style.

Nav1 is on the HSI with CDI needle, Nav 2 is the green needle on the ADF gauge. This gauge also has two clearly marked ADF needles for ADF1 and ADF2. There’s a too/from Nav 2 needle in the gauge below this.

Pinpoint accurate navigation and flight plans can be carried out in this aircraft.

f you have the Coolsky DC-9, how would you ( or anyone who has both) say the JF DC-8 compares  in systems modeling and graphics

I have the  CS dc9 and this dc8 is not even close to the dc9.Not even remotely close.

f you have the Coolsky DC-9, how would you ( or anyone who has both) say the JF DC-8 compares  in systems modeling and graphics

I have the  CS dc9 and this dc8 is not even close to the dc9.Not even remotely close.

I never said I had the Coolsky DC-9- re read my post.

I don't know what you're trying to accomplish with your posts but this is the best DC-8 ever released and is a good value for the price which is almost half as expensive as your CS DC-9.

When you can show us a better or can produce a better DC-8 please chime in.

While respecting your opinion, would you care to elaborate for those of us that haven't taken the plunge yet? I've seen two negative posts from you, which is fine if you don't like it, but no real details other than that you don't like the VC. That one surprised me as the video released shows the VC to be rather fine, although I realise that it was released to make it look that good.

Andy

never said I had the Coolsky DC-9- re read my post

Skully,

BrianG said it. Read post #88

While respecting your opinion, would you care to elaborate for those of use that haven't taken the plunge yet?

I asked for a refund for a few reasons.The following  are things that bother me. First ,this plane has the strange ability to hold its nose off the runway (and up in the air) even at 30 kts. Skully  pointed this out already.That alone is a deal breaker for me.I'm not too crazy about the VC .Some details are too abacus style. When I look out the window (left or right) I just see a red light and no wing.  I understand some people  don't care for these "tidbits" but   I do.

Jon5700 did a nice video, showcasing the fantastic sound that really completed this plane ;)

Just Flight's new livery preview video from FB.

Jesse Casserly 👌🏼

Add me as a friend to go fly on MSFS: JesseC757

https://www.youtube.com/user/JesseCasserly757

💻 i7-10750H 2.6 GHz / 5.0 GHz, 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD, 1TB HDD, RTX 2080 Super

Saitek X-56 HOTAS

Why is no-one making videos of the VC in this bird? ...... All the videos seem to feature heavily on the exterior (like both of the above).   The VC looks great in the screenshots so I'd love to see it in some vids too, before flexing the credit card on this one. :smile: