Sign in to follow this  
TOGA-saurus

Finally! DC-8 For FSX!

Do you, or anyone, have some scenery recommendations for Africa ? I dont need to be pointed to South Africa, nor the up north since they are easy to be found, but somewhere in the center ?

http://www.vatcaf.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=36&Itemid=40

and you can also try to ask here : http://fs-africa.forumactif.com (there are african developers on this forum)

So this is the last of the preview videos before release. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=174766326059812&set=vb.15266573498&type=2&theater

I know this is a KB-135/707 not a DC-8, but the engines are the exact same old P&W turbo-jets. This is just for an audio comparison. 

Note how it sounds similar to the newer JT3D's but without any buzzing, just all screeching! 

Jesse Casserly 👌🏼

Add me as a friend to go fly on MSFS: JesseC757

https://www.youtube.com/user/JesseCasserly757

💻 i7-10750H 2.6 GHz / 5.0 GHz, 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD, 1TB HDD, RTX 2080 Super

Saitek X-56 HOTAS

So this is the last of the preview videos before release. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=174766326059812&set=vb.15266573498&type=2&theater

I know this is a KB-135/707 not a DC-8, but the engines are the exact same old P&W turbo-jets. This is just for an audio comparison. 

Note how it sounds similar to the newer JT3D's but without any buzzing, just all screeching! 

Hi Jesse

Thanks for pointing that out, well spotted. But...

the videos that we have released were shot from in-development code and the engine sounds have been updated since then.

The DC-8-10 and -12 models had P&W JT3C-6 engines with water injection. These are the civilian equivalent of military J-57s. They are turbojets with no fan section. The DC-8-21 and -32 had P&W JT4A-9 and JT4A-11 engines, the equivalent of military J-75’s. They are turbojets with no fan section, they are just slightly larger versions of the JT3C-6s. It was not until the DC-8-50 and -60 series did the P&W JT3D-1 and JT3D-3 and later the JT3D-7, appear in the 62 and 63 models. These were fan engines. Please note, the -50 series and upwards of the DC-8 are not included in this first pack. In the release version of this first DC-8 pack you will not hear the “fan buzzing” sounds from the engine.

Sorry for the confusion, it's something we should probably have pointed out at the start of the videos.

Please note, the -50 series and upwards of the DC-8 are not included in this first pack. In the release version of this first DC-8 pack you will not hear the “fan buzzing” sounds from the engine.

That is exactly what I wanted to hear! The DC-8-50 engines, the JT3D-3's were called fanjets. These were the first bypass turbofans by PW on the DC-8. The JT3C's before that and JT4A's were all turbojets (sound like rockets though :P) Thanks for making this clear, I am so happy now to know that you guys have paid close attention to detail :)

Jesse Casserly 👌🏼

Add me as a friend to go fly on MSFS: JesseC757

https://www.youtube.com/user/JesseCasserly757

💻 i7-10750H 2.6 GHz / 5.0 GHz, 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD, 1TB HDD, RTX 2080 Super

Saitek X-56 HOTAS

The Series 40 was essentially a Series 30 fitted with 17,500lb Rolls-Royce Conway turbofan engines. These engines provided greater efficiency, and a reduction in engine noise emissions and smoke. Despite these benefits the Series 40 failed to sell in great numbers due to the reluctance of US airlines to purchase an airliner fitted with engines manufactured overseas

A really pathetic excuse.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

It is a pathetic excuse, but it was a really good one back then. Americans didnt like to buy things made overseas as they saw it as taking american jobs away. Even in the 80s, my father bought a Mercedes and says that people would yell at him, throw things, flip him of, etc when he was in it. I can imagine how big of a leap it was for Eastern when they bought their first A300s.

Great news! Downloading my copy!

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Alexander Colka

Looking forward to early reviews before I buy! Looks super though.

+1

........not going to be be a bleeding edge adopter on this one! :smile: ..... but will buy if the early reviews are good.

My main questions is, is this markedly better than the Just Flight L-1011?   (FDE, systems, etc).

The low price worries me that this is another JF L-1011.    

I think is done by the aeroplane heaven team but I could be mistaken. Just installed it and took a quick spin. I like it in first place sorry no more details for now got to work.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Alexander Colka

I love the classic 60's jets. That's what I fly predominately. But as time goes on I've become much more discriminating on what I buy. FDE and systems will be key for me. Accurate EPR, FF, N1 etc.... are key on these old steam planes. If random values are put in,  it's like flying a cartoon and not much fun.

The CS classics by themselves are completely unrealistic. But thanks to the community and talented individuals, there are many mods to make those things fly by real world docs (or close to them). So that's what I'll be looking for in early DC-8 reviews before I buy.

For those who have bought, your impressions and thoughts would be valued and welcome.

Thank-

Brian G

Not when you need quick access to parts and all your manufacturers are stateside.

International shipping costs and delivery times were very high back then and logistics supply chains were nowhere near where they are today.

We are far more global today and can pretty much get anything anywhere in a day or two.

My main questions is, is this markedly better than the Just Flight L-1011?   (FDE, systems, etc).

Well based on quick testing at least they don't seem to be overpowered like the L-1011 felt to me at least, models -10 and -12 with rather weak engines seem to eat quite a lot of runway under full load like one would expect them to do while the -40 version with more powerful engines seems to take off a lot quicker.

By quickly looking at the amount of working switches and such stuff I would say this one has some more systems modeled than the L-1011 although according to manual some of those are just dummy animated switches. 

Overall I think it's well worth the price for me as I don't mind missing a couple of systems. 

Not when you need quick access to parts and all your manufacturers are stateside.

International shipping costs and delivery times were very high back then and logistics supply chains were nowhere near where they are today.

We are far more global today and can pretty much get anything anywhere in a day or two.

Well foreign European customers didn't really seem to have any trouble buying Boeing's although they had to go through same shipping costs that it would have taken to transport parts from Europe to the US. 

But I guess the extra costs might have indeed played a part here.