Sign in to follow this  
TOGA-saurus

Finally! DC-8 For FSX!

My first attempt got about half way done although still said about 4 hours remaining. I went about doing some other things with the download going on in the background. I went to check it about twenty minutes later and it appeared to have been done. I tried opening the installer but it was incomplete so the download must have quit on me. I've tried Safari, FireFox and Chrome all with the same 10-20kb/sec speeds. I will try again tomorrow and hopefully will have better luck. 

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

Can I just ask the JF team......who beta tests your aircraft? This is not a criticism, so please don't misunderstand me. It just seems to me that using one or two well informed guys from this forum (who know the difference between a mega complex PMDG study sim and a good quality mid range product) to add an extra "layer" of beta testing feedback could pay big dividends for future products.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

We have many testers with different backgrounds (real world pilots, engineers, veteran simmers etc). What we unfortunately don't have is the three year development window that PMDG etc do.

If any well informed guys from this forum would like to assist us in the testing process, please drop me a PM. We are always looking for extra testers.

Thanks

Martyn

Martyn - Just Flight

If any well informed guys from this forum would like to assist us in the testing process, please drop me a PM. We are always looking for extra testers.

Thanks

Martyn

Done :biggrin:

Cheers

Paul Golding

There is a gentleman who posted in the JF DC-8 forum who says he's a former DC-8 flight engineer and FO. 

He's already posted a wealth of obscure information on the aircraft and I'm sure JF is already working with him.

I'm of the opinion that JF did a fine job considering they built a model of a 50 year old + aircraft.

The data and the people who actually operated these birds must be next to impossible to find as well as a real world example to examine and model.

As these people come forward along with more data to help, I'm sure the JF DC-8 will turn out just fine.

I'm in no hurry, I now have an excellent DC-8 to fly and any future improvements will just make it better.

That'll be John Detrick, Skully.  I can confirm his status based on all the information and photographs that he provided to me for the abandoned DF DC-8 project.

Cheers

Paul Golding

There is a gentleman who posted in the JF DC-8 forum who says he's a former DC-8 flight engineer and FO. 

He's already posted a wealth of obscure information on the aircraft and I'm sure JF is already working with him.

I'm of the opinion that JF did a fine job considering they built a model of a 50 year old + aircraft.

The data and the people who actually operated these birds must be next to impossible to find as well as a real world example to examine and model.

As these people come forward along with more data to help, I'm sure the JF DC-8 will turn out just fine.

I'm in no hurry, I now have an excellent DC-8 to fly and any future improvements will just make it better.

Pretty good point actually. DC-8's and their pilots are almost extinct. But the 10 to 40 series? That is well gone. Where on the planet would you find an aircraft still using the JT3C or JT4A turbojets??? You're very lucky to get one with CFM56-3's on it, and a miracle worker if you find one with JT3D's!!!

Jesse Casserly 👌🏼

Add me as a friend to go fly on MSFS: JesseC757

https://www.youtube.com/user/JesseCasserly757

💻 i7-10750H 2.6 GHz / 5.0 GHz, 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD, 1TB HDD, RTX 2080 Super

Saitek X-56 HOTAS

That'll be John Detrick, Skully.  I can confirm his status based on all the information and photographs that he provided to me for the abandoned DF DC-8 project.

Nothing but blue skies do I see.  B)

I can't think of anyone better than having Paul Golding as part of the testing team, for old birds like this.

I would happily accept this bird 'as is', if it weren't for the horrible fluctuating frame rate drops.     But of course improvements to things like the EPR and FDE would be fantastic.

I can't think of anyone better than having Paul Golding as part of the testing team, for old birds like this.

Thanks Dave.....kind of you to say :good:

Cheers

Paul Golding

I would happily accept this bird 'as is', if it weren't for the horrible fluctuating frame rate drops. But of course improvements to things like the EPR and FDE would be fantastic.

I too am experiencing quite severe frame rate drops and fluctuations. Having said that, and read a the criticisms and praise here, I can only add that I am really enjoying the DC8. I have wanted a half decent DC8 for years and this is not a bad effort for the price. However, I hope that JF don't rest on this and endure that the noted shortcomings are mended in a future SP.

I love the classic range of aircraft JF are attempting. The DC8 is so far the winner of the range in my opinion. Loving the good quality soundset. That alone takes it to another level.

I too am experiencing quite severe frame rate drops and fluctuations. Having said that, and read a the criticisms and praise here, I can only add that I am really enjoying the DC8. I have wanted a half decent DC8 for years and this is not a bad effort for the price. However, I hope that JF don't rest on this and endure that the noted shortcomings are mended in a future SP.

I love the classic range of aircraft JF are attempting. The DC8 is so far the winner of the range in my opinion. Loving the good quality soundset. That alone takes it to another level.

Thanks for the post and rest assured we're currently looking at and working on content for the first service pack.

If they are done with it then a decent classic 747, the CLS one doesnt cut it, too much ommisions, and the VC isnt that good to look at.