Sign in to follow this  
phoenixphire

FTX Global Released!

Probably doesn't work right with DX10. Steve's upcoming patch may fix it.

I thought Orbx had said earlier that Global worked with DX10. This is a real deal breaker for me. I've finally satisfied with the way FSX operates, thanks to Steve and his DX10 fixes. There's no way I would muck that up. I'll have to revisit Global when they have everything working with DX10.

SJED

Hello all,

quite pleased with the product overall, but very disappointed with the lack of DX10 compatibility for 3D lights.

As told above, there is a growing number of simmers (including me) that exclusively uses DX10 for quality of graphics/colors, smoothness, increased effects, and overall performance and stability. Many recent FSX add-ons are fully compatible. I have some difficulties to understand how ORBX could have missed such testing...

Now searching for a way to just get rid of 3D lights, and waiting for a fix, as I do not want to get back to DX9. Did not play with DX9 since months...

Chris

People complaining about problems in DX10 - Microsoft couldn't even get DX10 preview working right.. why would you want to keep using it?

I myself have used FSX DX9, enjoyed it.. I've also tried the DX10 fix from here on AVsim, quite enjoyable but I could not get over the payware airports looking like crap at night.

Now I have P3D.. and you FSX users truly do not know what you're missing out on.

Exactly. Why people are using what's little more than an experimental option is beyond me in the first place. Orbx probably did achieve compatibility up until the last minute day/night lighting fix.

DX10 users will just have to wait--hey, the price they pay for using a graphics mode that Microsoft never intended to be used as a base setup.

Now searching for a way to just get rid of 3D lights, and waiting for a fix, as I do not want to get back to DX9. Did not play with DX9 since months...

(Quoting myself)

Another simmer on FTXGlobal support forum has found the file used for the 3D Lights. Seems to work :

go to (FSX Directory)/Scenery/Global/scenery/ and rename file 3D_Light_NEW_DDN_1_5.BGL to 3D_Light_NEW_DDN_1_5.BGL.bak

It will not be loaded anymore and voila! the black squares (and related night lighting, of course) is gone. To switch back, just rename to .bgl.

What's the advantage to DX10?  With DX10 I see the only difference is the annoying flashing runways.  My FSX runs great without DX10.  Enlighten me.   

Exactly. Why people are using what's little more than an experimental option is beyond me in the first place. Orbx probably did achieve compatibility up until the last minute day/night lighting fix.

DX10 users will just have to wait--hey, the price they pay for using a graphics mode that Microsoft never intended to be used as a base setup.

Its because we prefer it. Like you prefer DX9. If it's beyond you then ignore it or go with it. For me DX10 provides a way to have lower memory footprint and slightly better FPS. I can't see how you or b0gey should be offended one bit. Some people can see the advantage of DX10 and some can't. No need for either of you to be snarky.

On topic: I purchased the program. The impact is subtle but noticeable. I did not see a frame rate impact on my setup. I'd also advise anyone picking this up to check out the recommended setting towards the back of the manual.

For reference,  I've flown the suggested OpenLC of Riga and a pattern around EWR. I'm going to fly from Bangkok to Mumbai and check see the impact in that region.

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

Help download question.  Is it possible to download to an external harddrive then activate it on a different computer?  I want to download it at work on an external drive then take it home and activate it on my home computer.  Is this possible with the activation process? The home computer is too slow for a 4 gb download.

What's the advantage to DX10?  With DX10 I see the only difference is the annoying flashing runways.  My FSX runs great without DX10.  Enlighten me.   

I'd point you to Paul J's document in the DX10 subforum. You may enlighten yourself and decide if it's worth a try (Easy to revert back to DX9 if you don't like it!)

Really?? That's your argument? 

DX10 is where it's at today in FSX not because of Microsoft, but because of several inquisitive and dedicated people who didn't accept the status quo.  I'm mostly talking about Steve, but there are a few others.  FSX DX10 is much better than DX9, it is better than P3D, and it's better than XPX.  It's the near future of flight simulation.

As a lawyer, you should know never to make a statement unless you are sure of the reaction, and never ask a question unless you know the answer.  I hope you're a better pilot.

Edit:  Sorry that's a little harsh, but it sounded good, and sometimes that's all it takes to convince a jury of your peers.  "If it does not fit, you must acquit."  :)

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

AVSIMSignature_zpsed110b13.jpg

All of Yal complaining about.slow download speeds I live in the middle of know where and my DL speeds are 150kbps if I'm lucky... Man I cant wait to get back to school and fast internet

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Really?? That's your argument? 

DX10 is where it's at today in FSX not because of Microsoft, but because of several inquisitive and dedicated people who didn't accept the status quo.  

+1

I too really couldn't understand the level of snarkiness (nice word!) in Lawyer's response.  Surely we can all respect eachother's choices and different outlooks, without "who cares about you lot!" style single view points.    I think it's called open mindedness.

Me, I've never gone near DX10 yet, in my whole FSX career, but I think I will take a look into that world after reading the last few posts. I've heard about Steve's work. :cool:   I use an ATI card and heard that DX10 cannot do any vsync with DX10, which would be a showstopper for me as I use Track IR.       Can anyone confirm whether this is the case?

DX 10 is better performance than XPX? Sure youre not pushing it a lil too far to mae a point?

Good grief, what a lot of whining.

If you are not impressed with the screen shots or if you want DX10 then stay with what you have, I'm sure it ok.

I've found ORBX products to be second to NONE for P3D, bar none. The team do a great job of producing excellent results and do more than any other company to keep their user base informed of what's going on.

The ORBX CEO, John Venema has stated:

We will be adding intersection lighting in the first patch (they were planned but we ran out of time), also hopefully a fix for DX10

Or you could wait until November for Prepar3D 2.

Blackrat

One more thing: A user on the official forums has found a workaround (not a fix) for the DX10 black boxes during the day. The users name is "HAL9000" and the post is "DX10 Issue with FTXG". 

Good grief, what a lot of whining.

If you are not impressed with the screen shots or if you want DX10 then stay with what you have, I'm sure it ok.

I've found ORBX products to be second to NONE for P3D, bar none. The team do a great job of producing excellent results and do more than any other company to keep their user base informed of what's going on.

The ORBX CEO, John Venema has stated:

We will be adding intersection lighting in the first patch (they were planned but we ran out of time), also hopefully a fix for DX10

Or you could wait until November for Prepar3D 2.

I see a few folks, like yourself, popping out of the woodwork and being inconsiderate (for folks who prefer DX10 and its advantages) and condescending (by implying there is "whining" going on). Everyone does not share your thoughts or preferences. Good grief, can you get over yourself?

Cmon guys, the fix for lights in dx10 is probably very simple. Someone needs to convert the texture to dx10 compatible format (compression) in dxtbmp.

It's strange that official fix from ORBX is not available already, it's 5 minutes job.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.