Sign in to follow this  
Kailiang Seah

A suggestion

I just use JeppView for Windows and print off the charts I need. In fact I have a thick binder full of them. I just pull out the charts I need and get on with my flight. I'm thinking an EFB might cause frame rate issues anyway.

Wayne Larsen

WX radar isnt hard to implement, Majestic software did it  and its great, but i dont use it, no reason, 
Taxi camera would be FPS hit as hell same for EFB and after all we would fly the Cessna 172 istead because of instability and low FPS caused by taxi cam and EFB.

as for alt+tab crashes, use fsx in windowed mode.

WX radar isnt hard to implement, Majestic software did it  and its great, but i dont use it, no reason, 

Taxi camera would be FPS hit as hell same for EFB and after all we would fly the Cessna 172 istead because of instability and low FPS caused by taxi cam and EFB.

Majestic did not implement a weather radar - they implemented a cumulo nimbus cloud map. These are drastically different things.

Also - its going to be pretty damn hard to read an EFB on a monitor in a virtual flight deck - I really dont see the point. Now make a great ipad/tablet/desktop app and everyone can use it without having to loose frames and squint at some tiny screen in the flight deck.

Not a really big fan of wx radar. But i think pmdg will work out some kind of solution for EFB user 

Ask a simmer what an EFB does and see what kind of answers you get. 

It holds my keys and my cell phone charger. Maybe some tissue during cold and allergy seasons. What else would you need a Elegant Flight Bag for?

Richie Walsh

iPad works well enough for me. And I don't have to sacrifice FPS for added functionality ;)

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

Personally, I'd much prefer paper charts or a tablet. Nothing worse than having to pan/zoom while on instruments for those of us without TrackIR. A quick glance down at the iPad sitting on top of the yoke mount beats an in-game EFB any day ;)

A quick glance down at the iPad sitting on top of the yoke mount beats an in-game EFB any day ;)

Exactly.  I've long held the position that an in-sim chart viewer would be wholly counterproductive.

Kyle Rodgers

Jeppview and LIDO apps are subscription based anyway. You can download it, but you would have to log in with an airline account (which, I believe, you don't have anyway)

Jeppview and LIDO apps are subscription based anyway. You can download it, but you would have to log in with an airline account (which, I believe, you don't have anyway)

I see. Was wondering how the heck the guy got the app from :P I stick with navigraph charts :) for now 

Personally, I'd much prefer paper charts or a tablet. Nothing worse than having to pan/zoom while on instruments for those of us without TrackIR. A quick glance down at the iPad sitting on top of the yoke mount beats an in-game EFB any day ;)

I feel the same way!   I have been using a Samsung 7 inch tablet now for some time and I can do everything I need, in fact, this is the ONLY reason why I acquired the tab in the first place.   I can view (or search for) charts, check weather if the need be, etc.   I think that is more realistic than an in-game window which I agree with Kyle might be counter productive fps wise specifically!

An EFB you want? Sounds great, nevermind $80 for the T7, just add an extra €2,400 onto the price, and then keep charging €2,400 every year after that. 

Some people have no appreciation for the cost involved in sourcing and licensing the information in EFBs, from enroute charts, to airport charts, performance data and more.

Where I work we spend roughly €1.2 million each year on this data, and that's with only 550 pilots and operating out of only 85 airports across the world, now imagine that pilots will want data to cover the entire word, and charts for whatever airport they're flying into. That data is far far far too expensive for a hobby like this.

Regards,

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Ask a simmer what an EFB does and see what kind of answers you get.  What I'm getting at is the idea that, despite how many times it's been discussed, there still seems to be a disconnect on what EFBs actually do.

That's a bit obtuse and pedantic.  We are talking about PMDG's model of the B777LR and, in that specific context, it is pretty clear what is meant by EFB: http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aeromagazine/aero_23/EFB.pdf

While the term may variously represent a number of flight information and calculation devices, it means something pretty specific with the B777.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

That's a bit obtuse and pedantic.  We are talking about PMDG's model of the B777LR and, in that specific context, it is pretty clear what is meant by EFB: http://www.boeing.co...aero_23/EFB.pdf

It really isn't.  Given what's been posted here, most don't really have a firm understanding of what it's there for.  I highly doubt any of them have read that document, either.

Heck, some of them can't even find the tutorial flights and intro manual on their own machines...

Kyle Rodgers