Sign in to follow this  
OmniAtlas

Angle of Attack now charging subscription fees to download videos

Did any of you bite yet ? I'd be interested in your opinions. Thanks

Want a DVD, sure I can record the stream and burn but have the 747 package, great product BTW.

spacer.png

I agree with FSXtreme, I own them all, and got the 777 cpt package today. They got into severe problems with the 737 production and I understand the disappointment for people who bought that package early.

Nonetheless, I have no problem supporting them and in my opinion 55 bucks is good value.

23.png

So to view the trial I have to give CC info? No thanks. Big non-starter+1.

+1.

spacer.png

One thing I was very surprised about was that on AoA's new website, there is not a single opportunity (that I can see) to see any example content; to see even a snippet of a video.

look closer. it's there

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

There is a short demo to be sure.  No need for a CC to watch it.

spacer.png

Nonetheless, I have no problem supporting them and in my opinion 55 bucks is good value.

Nonetheless, +1 to the rest.

Dirk.

There having a lol

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

One thing I was very surprised about was that on AoA's new website, there is not a single opportunity (that I can see) to see any example content; to see even a snippet of a video.

I'm not talking about a free trial, where I need to ...ahem... give you my credit card details, but just a demo video lasting even just 2 or 3 minutes, so that I can evaluate the presentational style, quality, professionalism etc, without the far far greater commitment of giving you my credit card number.

This seems completely counter-intuitive from a media company to not show any form of up front example of content type and style.......  it really put me off.

You get several hours of training by enrolling in the trial. There is a preview video at www.777Training.com, although it's not live for all viewers, just half of them. (we are changing that)

Your card isn't actually charged when you do a trial. You can cancel any time, and you are not charged at all. So honestly, theres's really zero risk. This is how our system work, and it works quite well. Much different than it had worked in the past. 

I agree with FSXtreme, I own them all, and got the 777 cpt package today. They got into severe problems with the 737 production and I understand the disappointment for people who bought that package early.

Glad to see the people are recognizing we worked our butts off to release this training in full. Nick still has some work to do in FlightWork, but that's a done deal. 

GroundWork 100% done on day 1 is what we've been shooting for all along this past year. And although we weren't able to hit day 1 (we didn't get a copy of the 777 early enough, darn!) we did get AWFULLY close. 

Really proud of our team for all they've done to make that happen. 

I have no problem purchasing the new 777 training seeing that, in the past, all of the AoA training has been first class premium quality at a level with real world training that is way more expensive.

We're paying close to $60 for this training, while real world pilots pay that much every month for online training, that is very similar.

I watched the first lesson on the lighting and it is on par in quality with their NGX training.

Streaming it online is not a problem for me.  If someone purchased the real world online training that is available, they would also have to have a good broadband to pick it up, so there is no difference.

Thanks, Robert! It's worth noting at this point that our new streaming system actually detects your steam, and delivers the top quality video available. It also makes sure that your video goes un-interrupted. 

AoA has just screw up his existing costumers literary and just after that they try to sell a new product to the same clients?

Very wise commercial decision!

I wonder how Many existing costumer will bite the same thing once more?

I am sorry but if the flight sim community bite it once more that means that this rogue developpers have every right to consider us like brainless sheeps

GT-I9300 cihazımdan Tapatalk 2 ile gönderildi

How are we a rogue developer? I have a feeling you're just making noise right now. We haven't screwed our previous customers. They got full access to their downloads (those stragglers are being taken care of by support) and no one is going without. 

Additionally, those members still have full access to streaming versions in the infinite future. 

So I find it hard to see how we're screwing our customers when A. we've given them (are giving them) what we promised and B. we're trying to stay in business. 

I don't know how hard understand how massive of a library this much video is, but it is a tremendous amount of data, and it's sucking us dry. 

There's nothing else to be said (although I'm sure I'll have to). This is not something I WANT to do, but something we HAVE to do. I'd rather just keep it simple and not have to be writing this, believe me. 

AND

We made our 777 Training a lower cost so those that DID want to get the downloads could add them on, and not be any poorer for it compared to other products. And those that don't need downloads don't get charged for it. 

It goes both ways. 

Chris, one would think offering DVD's or Blu-Rays would be a cheaper option than having to pay for all of that bandwidth and capacity.

It's still not cheaper. You're talking about DVD production houses that require a thousand copies minimum, at a premium. On top of that, we'd then be in the distribution business, which takes a completely different business model. 

We've done DVDs in the past. That's how we started out. Those were the good old days. However, it's not the way to go anymore. Everything is going digital, and we cannot shoulder THAT burden either. 

We decided to go all digital for our customers- Instant Access, No Broken Shipments, etc. 

Good thought, though. 

I can't be in all places at once. If you see someone is having an issue with an Angle of Attack product, or something that should be brought to my attention, please message me. I want everyone to have a stellar experience with AOA. Thanks so much!

Chris Palmer

Founder/President

Angle of Attack

Thanks Chris

The website is SO much better and the streaming is excellent. For me I can never see the need to download - but I suppose I'm lucky and always on broadband or wifi.

Video quality even on IPhone is excellent.

I have one problem - I use Nexus 7 tablet and it struggles with Flash. Firefox add-in does it but can't get full screen.

Maybe you guys could look into it to help customers with more streaming and less downloads!

Dean33

Thank you! We've put a lot of money, time and effort into this website. We've been working on it since may. It's SO much easier for customers to use, and to take care of themselves and their account. And it's so much easier to get into the training. 

Would make it very expensive when sending abroad...Airmail, Duty etc. But ok for homegrown customers I guess.

Yeah, it doesn't make sense. At all. 

Agree! No trial should require a credit card.

Too bad. The 777 flightwork seems reasonably priced.

Almost any website you use as a service will take a credit card up front for you to get in the trial. You aren't charged, you can cancel any time, and there's really no risk. We don't see the issue here at all. There's honestly no risk in your corner, yet there is STILL cost in our corner if you decide to bug out. 

We're confident that you'll really enjoy the training once you're in, which is why we offer the trial. 

I can't be in all places at once. If you see someone is having an issue with an Angle of Attack product, or something that should be brought to my attention, please message me. I want everyone to have a stellar experience with AOA. Thanks so much!

Chris Palmer

Founder/President

Angle of Attack

Hi Chris

I must admit, I was a liitle annoyed at AOA's recent decision with regards to downloading videos. However after your explanation I can see why you decided to take that route and fotunately enough I have just had fibre broadband installed so streaming is not an issue for me.

I have just purchased the 777  training mainly for the systems and can honestly say that I'm very impressed and hats of to you and your team at AOA youv'e handled this release well. I didn't even realise that all groundwork was complete, with also 1 flightwork session also done.

Thanks AOA!

Gavin Price

Hi Chris

I must admit, I was a liitle annoyed at AOA's recent decision with regards to downloading videos. However after your explanation I can see why you decided to take that route and fotunately enough I have just had fibre broadband installed so streaming is not an issue for me.

I have just purchased the 777  training mainly for the systems and can honestly say that I'm very impressed and hats of to you and your team at AOA youv'e handled this release well. I didn't even realise that all groundwork was complete, with also 1 flightwork session also done.

Thanks AOA!

Sounds good, thanks for sharing.

Dirk.

I haven't purchased the T7 training, but I do have other packages from them. It's always been extremely high-quality tutorials and explanations. Their decision makes sense from a business standpoint. After all, they ARE a business. They have to do what enables them to stay in business. The choices they've recently made absolutely make sense.

When they had 100 (arbitrary # folks) customers returning to download videos, then they probably were able to afford it. Once the customer base grew to 1000's, then it doesn't make sense to keep the business model the same. Unless they are intending to deplete their funds and go out of business.

As far as putting in a credit card for the trail:

In the end, they're probably anticipating (hoping) that 80-90% of the people that view the trial will end up purchasing the product. At that point, all you need to do actually make the purchase on their website. The account #'s are already there, ready and waiting. IMO, it just streamlines the process. 

Complaining about providing a CC to view a trial, but having no issue whatsoever with giving the same info to the same people, through the same service, using the same process makes zero sense. It's 2013. If you're uncomfortable giving a CC # over the internet then...............well, I have no idea. Life is gonna be rough from here on out.

So one question from me, which didnt be answered in the "Support-Center" of Aoa:

Is it possible to buy the 737-Training through Paypal in the Future? I didnt see a Paypal Button at the 737 Trial Page...

In the 777 Trial Page there is a Button "Checkout with Paypal"...

So i wonder if my question is answered here.

Regards,

Sebastian Beier

PS: My English is not the best, so i asked the question in the "Sales-segment", perhaps thats the problem. Dont know, but the question is clear.

So one question from me, which didnt be answered in the "Support-Center" of Aoa:

Is it possible to buy the 737-Training through Paypal in the Future? I didnt see a Paypal Button at the 737 Trial Page...

In the 777 Trial Page there is a Button "Checkout with Paypal"...

So i wonder if my question is answered here.

Regards,

Sebastian Beier

PS: My English is not the best, so i asked the question in the "Sales-segment", perhaps thats the problem. Dont know, but the question is clear.

For anything that isn't 'buy now', so basically all the trials, PayPal is not currently available. We will be turning on this functionality for a 'buy now' options with the NGX here in the near future. 

But if you jump in the trial, then contact support, we can basically eliminate the trial and get you started. 

I haven't purchased the T7 training, but I do have other packages from them. It's always been extremely high-quality tutorials and explanations. Their decision makes sense from a business standpoint. After all, they ARE a business. They have to do what enables them to stay in business. The choices they've recently made absolutely make sense.

When they had 100 (arbitrary # folks) customers returning to download videos, then they probably were able to afford it. Once the customer base grew to 1000's, then it doesn't make sense to keep the business model the same. Unless they are intending to deplete their funds and go out of business.

As far as putting in a credit card for the trail:

In the end, they're probably anticipating (hoping) that 80-90% of the people that view the trial will end up purchasing the product. At that point, all you need to do actually make the purchase on their website. The account #'s are already there, ready and waiting. IMO, it just streamlines the process. 

Complaining about providing a CC to view a trial, but having no issue whatsoever with giving the same info to the same people, through the same service, using the same process makes zero sense. It's 2013. If you're uncomfortable giving a CC # over the internet then...............well, I have no idea. Life is gonna be rough from here on out.

Can I give you a hug?... THANK YOU! 

We believe it's a MUCH easier way for everyone. 

Hi Chris

Thanks AOA!

Intense, huh? To be 100% honest, we realized that we had a reputation to repair. We really got our act together with the 737 eventually, but it was too late for the community to see that. Our team is truly impressive. 

And yes, 100% of the training is done and complete in GroundWork, and the rest of FlightWork is already being worked on. 

Really appreciate your business, Gavin. Thanks for all your support. 

Chris Palmer

Founder/President

Angle of Attack

Almost any website you use as a service will take a credit card up front for you to get in the trial.

You sure? :mellow:

I'm thankful for the previous explanation in regard to the change for the download opportunities. I actually can understand the reasons and I also think the confusion among (potential) customers was greatly reduced. I was happy with some of your very early training products and my guess would be that the actual quality of your current ones isn't in question at all.

However, the 'almost every website' thing or the 'streamline the process' echo when it comes to collecting cc data for a trial sounds.. different to what I recall from the same Internet you are most likely using.

As being a fan of trial versions and also being an individual taking care of my own data, I really doubt that we're talking about the same type of trials, free offers or other software. Being at crossed-purposes maybe.

Either way, my suggestion would be to collect payment data when it's needed and to avoid it when it's not. As you see, the impression it leaves isn't necessarily as streamlined as expected.