Sign in to follow this  
MichaelTurner

How much have you spent on FSX?

Ron, she sent me an email and ask that I monitor what you say about flight simming!!!! :lol:

You been found out as a fraud. :mad:

She doesn't DO email! :P

Tom, take him away.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Can my wife see this? Since 1997 I'd say 7000+ for hardware but I just did the math..@ $30 a month on software (my average) since 1997 is $5760????????? ugh

Eiyee Carumba! Paranoia strikes.

To the original question; can I include the cost of AVSIM in my numbers? :ph34r:

C'mon Tom... we all know the story about the G550 you have parked in Bermuda after Avsim's IPO last year  :P  :lol:

Enrique Vaamonde

C'mon Tom... we all know the story about the G550 you have parked in Bermuda after Avsim's IPO last year  :P  :lol:

Don't I wish. You have me mistaken for someone else in this hobby, obviously. :rolleyes:

Don't I wish. You have me mistaken for someone else in this hobby, obviously. :rolleyes:

Hey now... I was expecting a formal invitation for a ride in the thing, not a public denial!  <_<

Anyway... the answer is NO, please! if you include Avsim numbers in the balance, you'd make us look like a bunch of whiny little brats!!!  :lol:

Enrique Vaamonde

I've no doubt however that this is small beer compared to what other enthusiasts have spent.

If I had the time, I'd buy every single add-on possible for FSX/P3D and XP10 ... and probably go all out on a home/garage cockpit (using GoFlight modules or some other hardware) running at least 3 PCs one of which will be in the $15K range with three 31.5" 4K monitors ($10K in monitors).

Sadly I just don't have time, the cost isn't the problem (far cheaper than my other hobby or Auto racing even when sponsored) ... the time required IS the problem.

I'm about to "retire" from my many years of Auto Racing, so 2014 should give me more time to spend on my Flight Sims hobby.  Race car will be sold so I'll have a nice big empty space in the garage just waiting to be occupied by a home brew cockpit ... you'll know when I've gone off the virtual deep end, when I start adding passenger seats to my cockpit/aircraft with manikins to represent real passenger loads :)

Don't think I'll go as far as spending $250K on a virtual cockpit like that fellow from Texas ... but I can see spending about $40K

Rob.

I have no idea how much I've spent over the years. If I buy an addon aircraft for $40 and it gives me great enjoyment for tens or maybe even hundreds of hours, that's a pretty good deal IMO. Yeah, the cost adds up over the years, but so does everything else that you buy on a regular basis (eating out, that $2.50 mug of coffee you buy on the way to work every other morning etc.).

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Hmmm, this question I have often asked myself but have been scared to even think, so now you ask.... hmmm, hardware and software, probably close to £6000 maybe even more if the truth was known. But of course it has been spread over the past four years so £1500 a year runs at about £30 a week. So then it seems a little more acceptable, I guess a round of golf at the weekend with drinks in the bar afterwards :smile:

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Did a count early this year and came to a staggering 2000+ euro's on software alone... Now this is since the release of FSX in 2006 so on average it's less then 1 euro per day  :P

But all joking aside, it did trigger me to slow down my spending, since I recon only a 200 ~ 300 euro's in addons is used on a regular basis  :blush:

On hardware... 1800 euro's on my pc and about 500 euro in flightsim specific hardware.

I my wife would ever find out, I guess a divorce lawyer would have been cheaper  :lol:

Regards,

Frank van der Werff

Banner_FS2Crew_Line_Pilot.jpg

MichaelTurner, on 01 Oct 2013 - 12:37 PM, said:

Out of idle curiosity I thought I would tot up how much I had spent on FSX over the years. The result rather surprised me  - about £600 on software and another £650 on dedicated hardware but not including the PC on which to run it..

Add another £5 to the total - I've just bought Traffic 360 from Just Flight in their 24 hour sale. In fact I had some accumulated points so it only cost me £1.50.

Of course all that extra traffic is bound to have  a performance hit so I will probably have to upgrade my CPU to one of those fancy Haswell I7s. And buy a new compatible motherboard.

And in that way a bargain turns into a money pit :(

Let me put it this way"

I have all my add-on installs on a USB storage drive, and they take up over 200GB.  If you look at my profile, you can see all the software I own.  From a hardware perspective, I have a 13 year old CH Yoke that still works like a charm, Saitek pedals, and TrackIR.  I recnently bought a Samsung 1TB internal SSD because FSX outgrew the 256GB SSD that came with my system.

I don't want to know the cost of my FSX expenses, but the enjoyment is well worth it :P

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

With the new rig...about $3,000, hardware like throttle yoke...$500 and all FSX addons $500.

That equals to about $4,000.00 US Dollars !!!!!

Kin M.

(Klax)