Sign in to follow this  
MichaelTurner

How much have you spent on FSX?

I figure that I'll never really be able to fly around the world to the places I see on a map...so FSX is the next best thing...

Totally agree with this statement. I've just checked my credit card statement and see that I've spent US$663.04 on FSX add-ons. In the last three weeks! Yikes! Doesn't deter me though - I love FSX and use it every night and have it running non-stop throughout every weekend.

Couldn't imagine how much I've spent since FSX was first released but it would certainly be a fair bit.

Plenty of other hobbies that would cost you a lot more though....

May all your landings be safe ones!

Hugh Costello - NZWN

FSX about 3k in last 3 years and 500 on Xplane 10. Cant complain not like GTA play and beat the game your gone. FSX my outlet for traveling rather pay developer in Europe or Australia, or America than OPEC 4 fuel.

Wow. I'd say about $12,000 in hardware over the years - I do a new build every two years or so. Software?  Easily $3,500 - $5,000.

Back when I first learned to fly, I could buy a nice aircraft for that amount of $$$.  LOL!

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Can't count that high, and frankly, don't want to know.  All I know is that "life is a one lap race", and I enjoy my hobby to the point that I'll keep on spending.  There isn't a day that I don't fly. Thousands.....I'm sure!

Stan

FWIW, not counting the low spec computer I bought before I knew I was interested in FSX, I've spent about $600 over three years.

I took up flightsimming because I'm on a small fixed income and can no longer afford to fly, but I was only slightly surprised to see 5 figure expenditures on FSX. 

$12 grand would work out to be about 80 hrs of SEL R/W (USA) flight time.  However I guess that misses the point.  I wouldn't be able to fly Twin Otters, Broncos, DC-3's, P-51's, and F-18's.  I certainly wouldn't be able to do low level flight under the Golden Gate Bridge or down the I-5 w/o getting my ticket pulled.  I guess both types of flying have their advantages. 

That said, if someone put $12G's under my nose, I'd get a BFR, a Med, and book some R/W block time.

To be honest, I have never spent any money on FSX, I have spent about 40 bucks on MS-Flight tho.

Just a random question, how many of you have tried MS-Flight and have bought 2-3 planes DLC ???

This post sounds suspicious to me... are we sure the OP didn't leave his PC unatended and this is his wife writing? maybe Avsim should password-protect threads like this or just let the posters be anonymous... I mean, what are the real reasons for asking such a thing in a public forum? By replying the honest truth and then having our wives find out the real numbers of our flightsim expenditures (they will never see these as "investments") many of us would find ourselves in a world of pain!!! So, just in case I'm under surveillance: "honey, I swear the T7 was a gift by my brother, FTXG is a trial version which is about to expire and since I ordered PFPX the very first 10 minutes after it was released, they gave us a 100% cash back rebate!".

be afraid guys!!!

Enrique Vaamonde

I'm struck by how many people are scared of their wives. :lol:  C'mon chaps, man up. I have spent more money on this hobby than any previous hobby, oh except horses. And I don't care if the wife does find out! :P

I state the above in the sure and certain knowledge that she'll never read this forum. :Whistle:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Well, just before I built my last one, the wife said - "Either that thing goes or I do!!!"

Easy choice!

:)

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

That's something I don't wanna know. Put my computer aside, last time I calculated the total price of airports i have, it was over $500.

Danny F

I state the above in the sure and certain knowledge that she'll never read this forum.

Ron, she sent me an email and ask that I monitor what you say about flight simming!!!! :lol:

Bob "roadwarrior" Werab

Config: ASUS Prime Motherboard, RYZEN 5, 32 GB Ram, Radeon RX5700 XT, 2 TB SSD

Ron, she sent me an email and ask that I monitor what you say about flight simming!!!! :lol:

Hey hey ! What happens in Avsim stays in Avsim! :lol: :ph34r:

Enrique Vaamonde

be afraid guys!!!

Eiyee Carumba! Paranoia strikes.

To the original question; can I include the cost of AVSIM in my numbers? :ph34r:

I am 61, worked my rear off all my life, don't hunt, fish or play golf, so I'm going to buy myself some scenery and airports every month regardless of what my sweet bride of 40 years says. We never know how much time we have left on this planet and you can't take it with you, so use it for what makes you happy or your heirs will ! 

Vic green

If you wanted a better calculation:

total (software+hardware)/FSX logbook hours=

FSX rate.

I have not included electricity usage in this equation...

supporter.jpg