Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

Transition from FSX

I have been using FSX for many years, flying on line with Vatsim and have a vast library of scenery and planes... I am considering moving to Prepar3d but before I do I want to get a better understanding of the licensing.

For an experienced of user of FSX which licence option should I take and is this a one off fee?

Thanks

Andrew

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Go academic, and yes the $50 license for P3D 1.4 is FOREVER, as you to have fun learning...now shaddup and sit down and move all those FSX goodies over.

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Hi,

Do yourself a favor and wait a month or two and get version 2.0. The advancements that are coming are far superior to FSX and P3D 1.4.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Indeed they are, but the price tag is likely to be very different. Certainly in the range of $50 times 10.

Indeed they are, but the price tag is likely to be very different. Certainly in the range of $50 times 10.

Certainly...? What source did you get that information from? Even LM clearly states NOTHING has yet been said about the pricing (and they will lock any questions about it too btw). So you can't be certain about this.

Right... let's not just make things up. There's no basis whatsoever at this point to make any assertions about version 2.0 pricing.

+1 on waiting for V 2.0.  However, be aware that not all Add-ons in FSX will work in P3D.  All the Flight 1 planes do not workn.  PMDG 777 does not as well.  Since P3D v 2.0 have a different rendering engine using DX11 your airport sceneries, some of them may not work also.  I am not sure if the move to DX10 in FSX with Steve's fixer tool will help to migration to P3D v 2.0.  

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Not a good sign for me, considering that my two favourite FSX aircraft are the PMDG 737NGX and Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang :(

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

The transition to a new platform is not unlike any transition, when the improvements justify a switch the switch is thrown. Stuff that doesn't work on the new platform can be used on the old and the gap is usually filled by something even more amazing.

The fact is, we don't know yet, we don't know how the improvements we know about, will actually perform. Assuming that the performance, coupled with the added immersion, brings that wow factor, going back to a clunky less immersive sim (by comparison) will be unfulfilling.

Most here, have their FSX tuned to what each individual considers to be its peek. I cannot speak for everyone else but, I know if I'm honest with myself, if it would just 'perform' I'd be happy. When v2.0 hits the streets, some will be amazed, others disappointed. The person who is amazed and has lots of 'stuff' that won't work on the new platform will, for sure, be in a quandary.

Clearly, the person who has the resources and has a super computer will say that FSX performs perfectly. In that case, the new sim will be beyond sublime. Here's hoping :)

Oh crikey! A brand new thread and already over half the replies are from the "Negative Nancys..." :blink:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Not a good sign for me, considering that my two favourite FSX aircraft are the PMDG 737NGX and Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang :(

If these are your favorite aircraft, and there is no way you can live without them no matter what, then you would be best to stick with FSX, bugs and all.

I have only purchased products over the last couple of years that support P3D and will continue to do so for V 2.0 so most what I have will function going forward. I found new aircraft to use to replace those that will not or do not support P3D, and I really have no complaints. All my Orbx products will fully function along with all my Caranado, FSDT, Flightbeam, Aerosoft, and Majestic products on a very rock solid platform. Just like transitioning from FS9 to FSX meant we had to leave certain aircraft behind, so too must we do from FSX to P3D, it's just the reality we have had to live through with every reiteration of Flight Sim over the last 25+ years, but then we wouldn't be where we are today if we refused to move forward...

Cheers,

Cpt. Thad Wheeler

preview_prepar3dbarcode0.jpg?rev=0

Oh crikey! A brand new thread and already over half the replies are from the "Negative Nancys..." :blink:

With v2 release reported to be before the end of the year, when I see the negative speculation and comments I just cannot seem to get a song from my (much) younger days to go away. Was by Bachman-Turner Overdrive, something about "You ain't seen nothing yet..."

The next six months is going to be an interesting time in the FS community. Let's hope the Red Cross has plenty of blood in storage to treat all the wounded!

I am seriously considering switching to p3d v2.

I fly on vatsimm with fsinn, and have three payware planes pmdg 747 and 777, Level-d 767.

I also have fs2crew for level-d and pmdg 747, plus gsx.

Do all these work in p3d ?

The 777 has been engineered to not work in P3D. As for the 747 and 767, as I neither own P3D (for now) or those two aircraft, all I know is that I've heard they work in the new sim. Whether they will for you comes down to trying it out for yourself.

Why is everybody so obsessed with "switching". You can run FSX, P3D 1 and P3D 2 all on the same computer. Use whatever platform that suits your needs. I even have all Microsoft FS versions, from 1 up until FS9 installed as well, and then there's World of Warplanes, IL-2, aeroflyFS, X-Plane 9, Rise of Flight, DSC, Flight Unlimited III and Take On: Helicopters. Flight simming isn't dead. It has never been better, despite Microsoft dropping the ball. Carpe diem!

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987!