Sign in to follow this  
roarkr

Is anyone going back to FSX now after 2 days with P3Dv2?

The problem I have with P3D 2.0 is that i can not do some very basic things like FSX.  For instance IQ is very poor as there is no support for nVidia Inspector.  My plane textures are unacceptable without NI.  Setting the NI profile for P3d results in black screens.  If you have one that works let me know. Second - SLI is just broke.  With FSX SLI at least worked to an extent.  Either fully implement SLI or leave it alone. OK enough rant. 

P3D DX11 support and fully transparent clouds are a much appreciated features as well as the improved AG engine.  Also the water renditions seem to be a step in the right direction if some wave action can be worked out.

All in all P3D 2.0 is a welcome update to FSX so I'm staying tuned.  Hopefully the LM management will allow its P3D developers to meet the needs of the broader FS community and not be limited to only support government and other commercial interests.  This is the breach that needs to be attained IMO.

jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

I went back to FSX even after vowing to never do it.. I was going to go back to Prepar3D 1.4 but.. Nope...  Last time I used FSX was on an AMD 6990 and my experience was atrocious..  Gave her one last go today and I've never had a better time.. DX10 w/ the freebie fixer files is great, and even DX9 mode works great...  I haven't tweaked a thing past my initial install and got a ton of flights in today crash free. Been fun revisiting old addons that I had to give up when I first went to Prepar3D. I should have my v2 refund sometime next week and will keep an eye on development of it..  $60 just isn't worth the trouble right now.. Too many problems. 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

on my GTX 760 I have fsx running silky smooth and very fast with a lot of addons$$$$ plus yesterday I bought Skymaxx for Xplane10 which is amazing.  I'm returning P3Dv2 for a refund...the AA is terrible that's why people are getting good fps.  With good AA, fps drop lower.

I went back to FSX even after vowing to never do it.. I was going to go back to Prepar3D 1.4 but.. Nope...  Last time I used FSX was on an AMD 6990 and my experience was atrocious..  Gave her one last go today and I've never had a better time.. DX10 w/ the freebie fixer files is great, and even DX9 mode works great...  I haven't tweaked a thing past my initial install and got a ton of flights in today crash free. Been fun revisiting old addons that I had to give up when I first went to Prepar3D. I should have my v2 refund sometime next week and will keep an eye on development of it..  $60 just isn't worth the trouble right now.. Too many problems. 

What kinds of problems were you having that caused you to go back?

What kinds of problems were you having that caused you to go back?

Controls locking up even after a flight started with them unlocked

VAS usage. You really had to dumb things down to keep it in check. Was simple to get it over 3G with default scenery and one airport add on

The menus. I had about 30 crashes alone involving the menus. Either entering or exiting. No rhyme or rhythm to it either. Reminded me so much of the FSX crashes where if you looked at the menu wrong the Sim would crash. Except all the crashes in P3D had different reports of what crashed. Ranging from .NET framework crap to DirectX libraries (yes I'm all up to date). 1.3, 1.4 or FSX never did this.

The dumb black screen bug which made their startup menu completely useless

The halo around random lights

Mainly the crashes though. I want to fly.. Not trouble shoot and be a free intern for Lockheed Martins Prepar3D R&D department.

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Well, took me a while but finally managed to sort out a download.

Default p3d is horrible and ugly (like every other sim except maybe aerofly).

The fsdt airports (if you choose the right ones) are now a thing if beauty rather than the awful shimmering messes they were in FSX (no more stutters either).

The lighting engine is just so nice - cockpit shadows when turning, hurrah! Though xplane had nicer ones, this is miles ahead of fsx.

Photoscenery looks great and thd time if dat preview function allows you to get the colors looking good.

Night lights have great potential - the fsdt airports look great - but the rest of the world really needs somd 3d lights (night tectures - ug!)

I fly fsx/x-plane/aerofly fs/dcs.

Fsx and x-plane are off the SSD for now. Hurrah for P3D v2.0!

Rig: a three year old fsx build (i7 950 at 4 gigahertz) with a graphics card already uodated for x-plane (evfa 680 ftw). By the way, anyone who hates/loves P3d should mention their specs, as I suspect this is why we're getting such widely divergent opinions.

For me - P3D is the future of flight simultion. FSX has more addons wirking this week and x-plane's night flying is far better. But for a GA sim right now, P3D easily wins overall.

I'm actually a bit suprised that anyone would return it after a handful of days. I suggest staying with it, support the dev and give it a decent chance - most of us spent 6 years plus trying to get FSX right, LM have released a gem here and it's onluly going to get better.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

I've been going back and forth for some time time now and I just can't decide. My main complain with P3D is the weather, it just does not look as good as FSX. I have both REX and Opus, and for the first time, REX looks way better than Opus, but neither Opus or REX can even compair to what Opus does in FSX. I use the same REX textures in both FSX and P3D, but it looks completly different between the two sims loaded at the same time and place. P3D doesnt even reach FSX to it knees wheatherGFX-wize(except the fog-thing) I'll try postimg some comparisonshots tomorrow, but right now, I'm very close reverting to FSX again:-S 

Ryzen 9 5900X || Gigabyte RTX 4090 Windforce 24G || G.Skill TridentZ 32GB@3600CL16 || Asus ROG Strix Gaming-E X570
XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB M.2 NVMe || Corsair iCUE H115i PRO XT || Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB || Phanteks Revolt Pro 1000W
Gigabyte 43'' FV43U 4k@144hz || X55 Rhino || G27 || Oculus Quest 2 || Turtle Beach Velocity One

I like what I see with P3D but find when using any other software such as aircraft, Acars, etc, then my system is just not stable.  I have had more CDT's with this product in the few days since purchasing than I have had for years with FSX.  The change of focus and trying to use menus should not cause the program to close down, but it does. 

P3D was not quite ready for prime time and developers except Pete Dowson (what a gift to simmers he is) should catch up and the P3D folks should fix some issues such as a full throttle F18 on startup and using menus causing shut downs.

I expect this software will be on my compute for awhile and I will continue to see how the developers react.  Now that PMDG has jumped in, the others will be close behind. 

Just waiting for the P3D sp1... :wub:

I've been going back and forth for some time time now and I just can't decide. My main complain with P3D is the weather, it just does not look as good as FSX. I have both REX and Opus, and for the first time, REX looks way better than Opus, but neither Opus or REX can even compair to what Opus does in FSX. I use the same REX textures in both FSX and P3D, but it looks completly different between the two sims loaded at the same time and place. P3D doesnt even reach FSX to it knees wheatherGFX-wize(except the fog-thing) I'll try postimg some comparisonshots tomorrow, but right now, I'm very close reverting to FSX again:-S 

One of the themes I'm picking up on is that people are trying to shoehorn all the old things that were designed for FSX into P3D and then getting put off when they don't quite perform better or even produce worse results.  They may be compatible, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are optimized in any way to run with it.  When I cross the bridge to the land of P3D, I assume one of my first auxilliary purchases will be this new Hi Fi Active Sky specifically designed to run with P3D.  I think patience has it's benefits, and while I'm glad that others have bought P3Dv2 right away and are running it through it's paces, I'm quite glad that I'm not one of them just yet.

I had plans to keep FSX loaded and even FS9 along side my XP10 especially while some of my favorite payware aircraft and scenery do not work completely in P3D 1 or 2 yet. My efforts to migrate might speed up. Oddly enough about the day before the P3D2 release my FSX started crashing with a fatal error every time I navigate the aircraft menu. So far I'm not having much luck with forum searches to try and resolve this error.

Keith

I am not having any crashes with P3D. This is a pleasant change in my flight sim usage.

Keith

Keith Guillory

For me - P3D is the future of flight simultion. FSX has more addons wirking this week and x-plane's night flying is far better. But for a GA sim right now, P3D easily wins overall.

I'm actually a bit suprised that anyone would return it after a handful of days. I suggest staying with it, support the dev and give it a decent chance - most of us spent 6 years plus trying to get FSX right, LM have released a gem here and it's onluly going to get better.

I'm in total agreement with you. After a few hours with P3D v2, I felt that finally a GA sim had been released that did most of what I had been hoping for on day one.  Is P3D perfect yet? No, but it is still better than any other sim I have tried to date.  And the more I use P3D, the more I like it.  I honestly haven't felt this optimistic about the future of flightsims in a very long time.

As I posted in another thread, my guess is that (other than the graphic issues) most of the problems (like OOM and CTD) are due to users trying to run this sim with graphics that are set too high. Just because you're getting great FPS, doesn't necessarily mean that you can push the graphics higher without running out of memory (it took me a while to get that).  Find settings that seem to work well and then just leave them alone and just fly.  Quit messing with stuff.  And don't try to install addons that have not yet been approved/tweaked for P3D v.2.0 . . . give LM and the 3rd party developers some time to sort things out.  Goodness, it hasn't even been a week yet, and some users are already jumping ship.

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

One of the themes I'm picking up on is that people are trying to shoehorn all the old things that were designed for FSX into P3D and then getting put off when they don't quite perform better or even produce worse results.  They may be compatible, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are optimized in any way to run with it.  When I cross the bridge to the land of P3D, I assume one of my first auxilliary purchases will be this new Hi Fi Active Sky specifically designed to run with P3D.  I think patience has it's benefits, and while I'm glad that others have bought P3Dv2 right away and are running it through it's paces, I'm quite glad that I'm not one of them just yet.

This, I agree with you. But, new menu system is creating lot of ctds even without any addon installed. 

My conclusion today is that P3d isn't ready for prime time but close.

I agree in the not ready for prime time.  Does DX10 function the same, i.e., is it quite possible to take a high end GPU and run it at 100% utilization?  If so, that's quite material.

At this moment in time Xp10 has everything you talking about, amazing shadows lod and.....and is 64bit.#

The issues I keep hearing about which has kept me from trying XP 10 is the lack of season changes and lack of airport buildings which are significant to me.  It sounds like they could walk away w/ it if they did this, and in adding these two large features would tacitly invite 3PDs to jump on board even more.  Adding a killer ATC would leave P3DV2 in the dust for awhile from what I gather, but I speak as someone who hasn't used XP10 yet, only read about it's strengths weaknesses.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

This, I agree with you. But, new menu system is creating lot of ctds even without any addon installed. 

Please forgive me if you've already answered this, but have you tried the UIAutomationCore fix we all used in FSX ?

I only ask because I am using it, and haven't had a single menu crash yet, and I have really been beating on this sim the past few days.

Regards,

Brian Doney