Sign in to follow this  
roarkr

Is anyone going back to FSX now after 2 days with P3Dv2?

Please forgive me if you've already answered this, but have you tried the UIAutomationCore fix we all used in FSX ?

I only ask because I am using it, and haven't had a single menu crash yet, and I have really been beating on this sim the past few days.

To be honest.. My ego and pride stepped in the way here and prevented me from even attempting the UIAutomationcore  fix..  It probably would have annoyed me more knowing that problem (and solution) still existed then how much the menu crashes annoyed me..   I'm forgiving with developer mistakes but the amount of "how did this even make it to final?" problems took me past my threshold of patience.  I bet most beta testers spent more time prepping their own products for the new version than they did making sure the core product even worked. 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

In regards to the menu crashes - it's amazing how the installation of one program on a users pc can result in so many variables.  This must be one; I have yet to have a single menu crash in P3Dv2.  And believe me, it's not for a lack of using the menu's!

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Please forgive me if you've already answered this, but have you tried the UIAutomationCore fix we all used in FSX ?

I only ask because I am using it, and haven't had a single menu crash yet, and I have really been beating on this sim the past few days.

No problem. I've dropped uiautomationcore.dll file to P3d root folder but it didn't work. There's no need to use uiautomationcore fix for v1.4. It's hard to understand why we need it for v2. 

No problem. I've dropped uiautomationcore.dll file to P3d root folder but it didn't work. There's no need to use uiautomationcore fix for v1.4. It's hard to understand why we need it for v2. 

I am not at all certain that it is still needed, to be honest.

It was just a thought, as I was reading through the trials you are going through. I really wish I had better advice for you, but I am honestly at a loss. While not perfect, I have had a reasonably easy time with P3D2.

I will keep my ear to the ground, and I sincerely hope you can get things sorted.

Regards,

Brian Doney

In regards to the menu crashes - it's amazing how the installation of one program on a users pc can result in so many variables.  This must be one; I have yet to have a single menu crash in P3Dv2.  And believe me, it's not for a lack of using the menu's!

Agree, same here.   I don't even know what is meant by "Menu crashes"  (not doubting people are having problems, I just don't know what problem people are having with the menu, as my menu works as normal.

Just bear in mind though, that there is the 'black screen' issue (the biggest bug in the current 2.0 in my opinion), which is connected to the pseudo full screen mode, but which can look like a menu related issue, as the crash will often happen when changing views     - using the menu.

Also crashes with the Airbus X Extended happen when operating the menu, but these are caused by Aerosoft's ASC.DLL module currently being incompatible.  (they're fixing that).

The answer to both of those issues, is to ensure you start and end P3D2 in "Windowed Mode" and not in Full Screen, and for the Airbus, to make sure you toggle to full screen while in a default aircraft, then change to the Airbus.

Sure they're workarounds and can be a pain, but it's a new sim and there is a hard working dev team, making it better as we sit.        Even as it is, it's still the best platform released for FS IMHO.

I assume you mean "full screen lookalike windowed mode", Dave? I was under the impression that P3Dv2 does not have a full screen mode?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Q_flyer, bonchie, and some others don't agree with me. Alright, do you have an example where P3Dv2 actually performs faster than FSX in the same scenario (heavy scenery addons)?

The menu crash issue is puzzling. I've not experienced any issues at all, with hundreds of clicks on the menu. I have Aero enabled though which may help. If people are having menu crashes with Aero enabled then other variables are coming into play. I'm just wondering if these have been reported to LM.

Q_flyer, bonchie, and some others don't agree with me. Alright, do you have an example where P3Dv2 actually performs faster than FSX in the same scenario (heavy scenery addons)?

I only have EGLL UK2000 extreme. This location and airport brings my FSX to its knees. In P3D it still has an impact but is relatively minor. I do have to bear in mind that although it works in P3D it may not be fully optimised. Only the dev has this information and most dev's have been very quite.

It is mind boggling. But it is reality for a small sect of the user base. Never has a single program in my life caused so many variable crashes. I game heavily on my PC (over 99 games alone on Steam), I run benchmarks like Heaven and 3DMark. I spend hours in Photoshop colorizing black and white photos. Never a problem. Ever.. I can even kill my PC in Kerbal by using OVER 9000 struts on a space station. :lol:  Until P3Dv2 and its menus

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=4037

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Sure. FSX doesn't perform "way faster" with addons as you put it. Have you actually tested it yourself?

This is FSDT KDFW, FTX Global max autogen, WOAI traffic at 100%, in the A36. Yes, the A36 is a "default plane" but it's still an addon in FSX and I had it. It wasn't the most FPS friendly aircraft out there. Running the A36 in P3D is not like running the default cessna or trike in FSX. Weather theme is Orbx 5.

Settings are similar to what I ran in FSX (max autogen, LOD 4.5, max AI traffic, mesh at 5m, scenery density one notch from highest, medium water) except I'm running some P3D only features like high tesselation, VC/terrain/aircraft shadows on (I ran no shadows in FSX), HDR, etc.

eybc.png

5k0d.png

I used to use this situation to benchmark in FSX except I'd use the Airbus X. I always settled at 25 FPS on the runway and 23 FPS looking back at the airport in FSX. This was running a slew of tweaks (BP=0, FFTF =.10, AF = 14) and a massive OC (4.7 i2500k).

So even assuming using the Airbus X drops me 5 frames or so in P3D compared to the A36 (I didn't find that big of a difference in FSX between the two but let's just say), I'm still at what I was in FSX except now my autogen doesn't pop up, I get no stutters, I have built in HDR, I have VC shadows, I have aircraft self shadowing,I have better dynamic lighting, better atmospherics and fog, tesselation, etc.

This is on a 570 as well which is a low level card in P3D (only 1.25ghz of VRAM). Once my 770 4gb comes in, I expect P3D to clearly outperform FSX in like situations with similiar settings + running many P3D only features on top of them.

I also have the peace of mind of knowing this platform is being developed and will continue to improve.

Are you using display link drivers in your system? I have, with 2 Lilluput USB displays. Exiting menus for me crashed until I shut the USB displays off then it worked fine.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Yes, half a dozen, and I've posted about them all on the forums, but I sure ain't going to waste my time referencing them all here, as (no offence), I think your mind is 'fixed' on this matter. (Just like the people who repeatedly say "It's no good just looking at P3D performance with default aircraft, what about the complex addons!?", even though me and others have posted tons of reports on complex addon performance, that these people with agendas just aren't 'seeing' :wink:).

If you've actually used it, I wholly respect your opinion.....   if you haven't even tried P3D2, and are just going from posts on here, then that's a different matter.....

But here's one example for you :-

• FSX:   Aerosoft Airbus X Extended at Fly Tampa CYUL, with max autogen:   21 FPS
  • P3D:   Aerosoft Airbus X Extended at Fly Tampa CYUL, with max autogen (a lot more, and pop-free), + shadows:  41 FPS.

Cheers.

I am running all three (FSX, P3D V2 and Xplane 10). At the moment Xplane 10 is giving me by far the best performance and "wow" factor. In fact I would go as far to say it blows P3D and FSX out of the water.

as (no offence), I think your mind is 'fixed' on this matter.

Not a nice thing to say. I bought the professional version, and I have been trying it out for couple of days now. Right now only have some mesh, landclass and FTXG installed, and what I have seen is surprising.

What bonchie has posted before, having 29-31fps in a GA, is not really impressive. I also own KDFW and the CYUL, and I did a test. Airbus X in CYUL gives in one specific situation around 58fps (only things worth mentioning are that scenery and autogen are on full and water is off, and the cursor is off the fsx window). Same situation in P3D2.0 achieves about 36fps. I call that a significant drop and it makes me rethink my purchase. This is why I asked for another opinions and if you tested. I cannot find a situation in which P3D2.0 actually performs better than FSX, except when visuals are below FSX level.

In the end, FPS are not everything, but if you have 15fps instead of 25, then you will certainly notice it.

Not a nice thing to say. I bought the professional version, and I have been trying it out for couple of days now. Right now only have some mesh, landclass and FTXG installed, and what I have seen is surprising.

What bonchie has posted before, having 29-31fps in a GA, is not really impressive. I also own KDFW and the CYUL, and I did a test. Airbus X in CYUL gives in one specific situation around 58fps (only things worth mentioning are that scenery and autogen are on full and water is off, and the cursor is off the fsx window). Same situation in P3D2.0 achieves about 36fps. I call that a significant drop and it makes me rethink my purchase. This is why I asked for another opinions and if you tested. I cannot find a situation in which P3D2.0 actually performs better than FSX, except when visuals are below FSX level.

In the end, FPS are not everything, but if you have 15fps instead of 25, then you will certainly notice it.

Simon, comparing the visuals that you get, does it look the same? LM have firmly stated the settings for autogen and scenery are NOT the same as FSX therefore a direct comparison is not possible.

It is like saying you have the scenery slider full right in XP and you get better framerates than FSX. Both sims are injecting different amounts of graphics. P3D injects far more than FSX does. I had to lower my sliders ti the left to make mine stutter free as my gpu and cpu are not top of the range. My FPS are in the 20s but my graphics and scenery quality are way better than anything I had before. I guess it is a hard to compare directly, we are so used to comparing one fsx setup against another, but p3d is simply not fsx, I wish there were proper ways of comparing them than just an fps counter that counts different things on different platforms.

Sent from my Mobile thing