Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Murmur

Laminar Research is doing great. (A.K.A. Jcomm-itis got me)

Well, looks like the Jcomm-itis (a weird illness first reported in Portugal, in which you go from extreme pessimism to sheer excitement about the same subject in 24 hours) is getting me. :smile:

After the last "tumultuous" days in the X-Plane/flight sim world, I came to an optimistic outlook on the near and mid-term future of X-Plane.

The most important thing giving me confidence is that, after the news of the last weeks/days, it's becoming more clear (IMHO) that all the main decisions and paths chosed by Laminar Research were the right ones.

First of all, the development of the 64 bits version was finalized just at the right time, and it has made X-Plane future proof. While it has been stated that P3Dv2 (32 bits) should have a better memory management than FSX, its base memory footprint is much larger than FSX, and there are already several users (I counted 5 as of yesterday) reporting OOM's with P3Dv2. It's true that it's just been released, so its developers will have ample time to improve things, but I suspect the 32 bits limit could prove crucial quite soon.

P3D developers said 64 bits is on the roadmap, but it's not coming soon. Of course, once done it will break compatibility with most 32 bits add-ons. All of this could give X-Plane some time advantage, useful to close the gap in those basic features still lacking compared to the FSX/P3D series. I think this would be a good thing because FSX/P3D is still ahead in terms of popularity and X-Plane needs more users for its add-on market to thrive even more. Having two flight sims with a comparable level of complexity, features and popularity would be a good thing for competition (even if, paradoxically, splitting the add-on market in two would mean a little less number of add-ons as a whole).

The second reason is due to the 10.25 update and the new HD mesh v2. Now, in places where there is good OSM coverage, the results are simply amazing. With the new textures and a good OSM coverage, the "plausible scenery" concept is really showing its capabilities. Choosing the "plausible" approach + OSM as the main source for scenery data, is another choice that is revealing to be the right one. It was just "ahead of the times" somewhat, especially in terms of refination of the concept and completeness of art assets. Based on what I see now, flying over the "right places" using the new HD meshes + OSM, my impression is that in the very near future the "sintetic" scenery will become closer to photoscenery, without having its disadvantages.

The third reason is the 10.30 update that should be out Q1 2014. Ben Supnik is very cautious when talking about future releases, and it's rare to hear from him big words like "ton of stuff" and "significant new features", words he used with regard to 10.30. So it should be a significant update.

Of course not everything is perfect, and there are those crucial issues we often talked about here, mainly the lack of resources that caused X-Plane to lag behind with regard to several basic features. The good thing is that in the last weeks and in the coming ones, it's apparently getting significant momentum in its improvements (by either core features or 3rd parties, think SkyMAXX) for the reasons I explained above. If Laminar manages to implement or improve those few inadequate basic features during the course of 2014, then at that point it will only be up to 3rd parties to take it to the next level and ready for prime time to the wide userbase of flight simmers.

Jcomm-itis (a weird illness first reported in Portugal, in which you go from extreme pessimism to sheer excitement about the same subject in 24 hours)

:LMAO:

Well, looks like the Jcomm-itis (a weird illness first reported in Portugal, in which you go from extreme pessimism to sheer excitement about the same subject in 24 hours)

I wouldn't let it bother ya. He's bounce between sims more than I partners. :)

i have to agree with OP. so after the release of prepar3d 2.0 i decided to invest in xplane.

so far i like it. things are extremely confusing for someone whos coming from the fs9 world but i can tell those things can be corrected easily and with little bit research. i too hope that xplane will grow huge in the future. 

i have to agree with OP. so after the release of prepar3d 2.0 i decided to invest in xplane.

so far i like it. things are extremely confusing for someone whos coming from the fs9 world but i can tell those things can be corrected easily and with little bit research. i too hope that xplane will grow huge in the future. 

Its like going from Photoshop to Gimp but once you get an handle on it you will start to appreciate everything that went into it.  That's me speaking as a user...... ;)

Jcomm-itis should be added to Wikipedia .... :lol:

... and in every serious medical lexicon. Just in case it arises elsewhere in the world. Each doctor should be informed about this incurable disease ... :Devil:

Its like going from Photoshop to Gimp but once you get an handle on it you will start to appreciate everything that went into it.  That's me speaking as a user...... ;)

It's not really the more appropriate comparison (in case it is the exact opposite), because X-Plane 10 is far superior to FSX/P3D, the only thing are complex liners.

Default XP10 is not even comparable to FSX or P3D 2.0, Xp10 is far greater than ESP core (FSX/P3D/P3D 2.0).

For this reason, I look forward to PMDG on X-Plane world.

Not too long ago I saw jcomm in the p3d forum.   He was saying some very nice stuff about it...

It's only a matter of time until xplane is deleted until he installs it again.  :)

The one thing I'm waiting for is a traffic program like My Traffic X or UT2 for X-plane. That would help the immersion factor immensely.

I wouldn't let it bother ya. He's bounce between sims more than I partners. :)

Instead of Jcomm-itis, it is more like Jcommiscuity.  (Like promiscuity, get it?)  :)

Same here, get Ai properly implemented and a good ATC implementation and I will be onboard.

Untill then I watch from the sidelines.

Same here, get Ai properly implemented and a good ATC implementation and I will be onboard.

Untill then I watch from the sidelines.

I agree 100% BTW  brings live into the sim.......My hope is we get a ton of user submitted airports with proper taxiways and gates which will make this easier for a programmer to implement these features in the near future......

I agree 100% BTW  brings live into the sim.......My hope is we get a ton of user submitted airports with proper taxiways and gates which will make this easier for a programmer to implement these features in the near future......

i agree. the airports looks like are coming in nicely. everyone is doing a part of i think maybe in a year we will have alot of great airports. 

the AI is probably the biggest downfall of xplane right now. sometime i would love to just sit there in fs9 and just watch all the airplanes taxi/land/takeoff. i know there is an addon from a developer that allows some ai but its not good enough. the ai can not work with atc although some features of the ai seam very advanced this basic function kills it. 

i do hope they get a better ATC system. once they fix ai and atc i think we will have many people onboard of the xplane train. 

hopefully 10.30 will bring all these features. 

I like to think of it as going from Paintshop Pro to Photoshop.  

:P

I enjoy the flight dynamics of XPX, and having 64 bits sure makes my PC work more efficiently..... I would endorse the comments from others that a good AI and ATC (as good as FSX had in 2006 when first produced would be a good start). I'm no programmer, and therefore have no idea of the challenges that implementing a better AI and ATC would require, but I'm sure that others better than me are developing XPX (I would hope so :) ).

Thanks, Bruce.

OMG, I get away for a couple of days, to get involved with another sim, and am immediately diagnosed jcomm-itis....

It was just an episode of the fsx syndrome, but I am already vaccinated against it :biggrin:

Well, I couldn't resist trying the new P3D sim. Took the 1 month license, mainly because of other activities you now know I have :ph34r: and for testing, and also because Alec is seriously considering getting it.

Then, my friend Tercio started a new site, dedicated to all kinds of simulation, and he asked me to cooperate with articles, on the various sims. I am writing my first, but have been rather busy with my RL... It'll be about ELITE :-)

Meanwhile, what I have to say is that, appart from the good performance and graphic update that P3D v2 represents, flying aircraft in X-Plane 10 and then stepping into FSX / P3D  feels strange, to say the least, and scenery in those sims looks plastic, even with that distance blurr in X-Plane, although we all know there are some excellent sceneries for FSx / P3D, but that's not default or free!!!

Of course I didn't uninstall X-Plane 10, as I wrote at the various posts at the P3D avd DX10 forums, it is my main and preferred flight simulator, and I am sure it'll continue to be, for the very same reasons that Murmur so well exposed on the OP.

It's evident that Austin and LR did the right choice, in the right time, even if that represented a much slower than we wanted rate of bringing new features and fixing problems in X-Plane 10. It had to be done, and gave us the extraordinarily stable platform we have today!

Ah! The site : http://www.simreviewshouse.com/

Beware that it's just beginning, and although Tercio kindly added me as  a reviewer, truth is that I couldn't yet contribute with anything :-/  Maybe this weekend!!!

I like flight simming but when I look at the costs, I think I will get more of my money's worth from X-Plane.

The most recent improvements have come at almost no cost. The 10.25 update, and HD mesh were totally free, but they bring the default look of the sim on par with many of the scenery addons that I would have to pay for FSX.

This is a big deal for me, because I would have to spend a lot of money to get P3D looking as good as I can get for free now in X-Plane.

Prepar3D lacking 64-bit support is neither good for Prepar3D, nor for X-Plane. People who try FSX or P3D for the first time and get frustrated because of OOMs and other problems are unlikely to build up an interest in flight simming. The more choices of stable, fully featured platforms the better for everyone. Enjoying P3D 2.0 does not exclude you from also having X-Plane installed and using it some or most of the time.

The biggest problem with running multiple simulator platforms is the added cost. X-Plane does seem to have a more active Freeware community, which helps a lot. However many of the most detailed add-on aircraft carry similar price tags to their FSX counterparts.

While I'm sure a lot of hard work went into SkyMaxx Pro, it costs almost as much as REX for FSX/P3D. I understand the sales volume is much lower with X-Plane, but $40 is still a lot to invest for a secondary simulator.

Why all the talk about FSX vs P3D vs X-Plane 10 etc....

It is: IXEG or no IXEG! Simple as that! If IXEG changes the plans and releases for Sub Logic 2, then Sub Logic 2 it is! =)

heheheh

Why all the talk about FSX vs P3D vs X-Plane 10 etc....

It is: IXEG or no IXEG! Simple as that! If IXEG changes the plans and releases for Sub Logic 2, then Sub Logic 2 it is! =)

heheheh

Make sure you start looking for your scenery disks on the attic! :P .

Jan

I was surprised ( very positively ) for Hardy Heinlin's take on the chance PSX users will have to use X-plane as a visual platform! 

With PS1 I used FS9, then FSX and even Flight Gear for the visuals, but I've heard the new version of this upcoming simulator will do a much better job in this area.

Now, if only the guys at iXEG could partner with Aerowinx and try a X-plane 10 native port of the PSX 744 simulator, than we would all be in Heaven!!!

Well, as someone who is an FSX diehard and as such a potential P3D convert, I can say that my move across to the new kid on the block has been halted due some recent posts I've seen regarding XP10. Firstly I was amazed at some screenies that were posted and then really pleased that what initially looks like some decent cloud textures have been released. Then I was blown away with the hires global mesh. Trying to be open minded is not that easy for me, mainly because I have an enormous investment in FSX addons, probably around £2500 in the past three years. That is a lot of dosh by anyone's standards. But I guess if I made the move slowly it might be a little less hurtful.

Howard,

with time I believe that we could have, in the limit, two possible situations for users of both platforms - P3d v2 and X-Plan 10...

P3d v2 was designed with openness in mind, at least in as far as flight dynamics modeling and weather are concerned. It will be a lot easier to use external flight models and weather injectors will, supposedly, have their task simplified with the new "simconnect". So, we can think of someone making it possible to fly in P3d v2 using X-Plane 10 for the flight dynamics!  For me this is great news because I am sure that, starting 10.30, we will have an even better simulation of flight in X-plane 10, and for those who invested a lot on scenery add-ons ( those Orbx sets look amazing!!! ) it will be good to be able to fly over them, but feel the aircraft like we do in X-plane 10 ( no, not the roll due to torque... but that's going to be fixed the best way....).

At the same time I see no reason for the opposite to happen to. We might be able to use X-plane 10's extraordinary detailed scenery ( specially after that blurr show stopper get's a fix... ) and weather depiction, while flying P3d v2 aircraft. We could, for instance, fly the PMDG 777 in one screen and have the X-plane 10 visuals in the windshield!

If I were PMDG, I would probably study such an approach, even if as a possible addon apart from their upcoming first creation for X-plane 10. They could benefit from all of the SUPERB work they did with their airliners and even with the JS41, and use X-plane for the visuals, with only the need for good 3d models of their aircraft for those voyeurists who like to fly an aircraft from the outside :)

Well, as someone who is an FSX diehard and as such a potential P3D convert, I can say that my move across to the new kid on the block has been halted due some recent posts I've seen regarding XP10. Firstly I was amazed at some screenies that were posted and then really pleased that what initially looks like some decent cloud textures have been released. Then I was blown away with the hires global mesh. Trying to be open minded is not that easy for me, mainly because I have an enormous investment in FSX addons, probably around £2500 in the past three years. That is a lot of dosh by anyone's standards. But I guess if I made the move slowly it might be a little less hurtful.

I fully agree with Howard here!

And personally speaking i am certain, that if(!) the persons in charge, involved and responsible for deciding what features will be updated and which issues will be fixed in future X-Plane versions, now realize the potential for "their own“ simmingplatform lying just ahead of them and therefore really begin trying hard to reach out to those simmers out there such as myself and Howard aka Rockliffe for instance, who are still a bit uncertain about X-Plane, but very, very interested in it - then(!!) the futuer of X-Plane will look not only bright but even super bright!

Let’s as an example mention PMDG's latest announcements to also release airplane add-ons for X-Plane here.

For the first time now, i dare saying, the often stressed argument saying „no major 3rd party developers - no rise in customer numbers for X-Plane“ simply does not work anymore.

Sure:

There already are some absolutely superb and serious 3rd party developers currently developing for X-Plane, but it’s just a simple fact that PMDG is a class of it’s own within the flightsimming developer’s community.

And so, having PMDG on board will certainly help any(!) flightsimming-platform to gain more popularity within the FS community.

So if(!) X-Plane finally gets rid of stuff like the often mentioned and somewhat weird looking „horizon-issue“ and the questionable „torque behaviour“ for instance and also steps away from the "who needs this eyecandy attitude" towards stuff such as seasonal textures for instance and also becomes a bit more userfriendly with a more effective GUI at start up (i know it is already much better indeed now, but there is still lots of potential for improvement here for sure) … - then(!!), at least in my opinion, there is a lot to gain for flightsimmers and X-Plane alike!

There is indeed a real chance for X-Plane now to finally step out of the shadows from FSX and P3D regarding the size of its customer/user base and so also in regards to popularity within the flighstimming community!

Not sure if the current X-Plane community members and developers want this to happen - i simply can’t tell because i don’t know.

However though i really hope they want „their“ sim to rise and shine in the future by far more as it does nowadays!

And as a dedicated flightsimmer and potential future X-Plane user, i’d really welcome, if this would happen!

Because having choices is great - and the more dedicated simming platforms available, the better it is for us, for our enthusiasm for aviation and for flightsimming in general!

Only my two cents here though!

Cheers, Christoph