Sign in to follow this  
tonywob

X-Plane vs Real

Here are some comparison shots of a real and a virtual flight I did recently. X-Plane doesn't do a bad job of depicting reality :-)

1a.jpg

1.jpg

2a.jpg

2.jpg

Amazingly the boat out of coicidence managed to be in there in both real and virtual shots :-)

3a.jpg

3.jpg

The landing shots are my favourite :-)

4a.jpg

4.jpg

• Upvote 10

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Atmospheric lighting in X-Plane is actually pretty decent, the colors are very close to RW. Great shots ;)

These are quite convincing.  You should do another set.  :)

By the way, what is the location of this?

These are quite convincing.  You should do another set.  :)

By the way, what is the location of this?

Next time I take a camera I will :-). These were taken out of Liverpool UK (EGGP). 

You are right "the landing shots are my favorite" too. You captured XPX in splendid unison. Keep them coming.

I just wish X-Plane had a more Vivid Lighting system. Colors look OK, but it's too dark overal for my taste. Probably because of the Sky and Water. Land looks like the photo.

Very Nice! Are you using OSM?

Yep, I generated the scenery using OSM2XP.

Looks great!  Are you using one of the lighting Mods?

I just wish X-Plane had a more Vivid Lighting system. Colors look OK, but it's too dark overal for my taste

I'm using SkymaxxPro and have HDR enabled. I had the time set to just before sunset, which is probably why it looks dark. It's around this time that I find the lighting and colors most vivid and realistic. I actually prefer the darker colors more in X-Plane than FSX, but it's all a matter of a taste :-)

I have gotten to really hating X-Plane shots (wink).  They are looking better and better each time I see a set.  Very nice indeed.  Keep up the good work.  Very realistic shots and fun comparisons.

Brilliant. Do you have a good airport scenery for Liverpool?

I used the one on the avsim library, info here: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/paulderbyshire/XPlane.htm

There is a newer version on x-plane.org, but I actually prefered the older version as it includes some of the buildings in the city centre.

• Upvote 1

Very nice, especially the landing shots. People often complain that the water is too dark in X-Plane, but I think it looks pretty good. A little bit dark maybe, but not bad.

A little bit dark maybe, but not bad.

Could actually be my gamma setting, as the pictures look much darker on my second laptop than they actually appear on the gaming laptop. It actually looks much brighter than it appears in those pics (to my eyes anyway)

I just wish X-Plane had a more Vivid Lighting system. Colors look OK, but it's too dark overal for my taste. Probably because of the Sky and Water. Land looks like the photo.

There is a gamma setting can brighten things up a bit.