Sign in to follow this  
Boeing or not going

What was FSDreamTeam thinking when they modeled this?

Notice anything wrong at this southern cargo ramp at KORD?

It looks like FSDT was asleep at the wheel when modeling this cargo area. What kind of airplanes are designed to park and taxi here?? little Cessnas? See that yellow line to the left of the tail of the 777? Yes, that is actually the taxi line where airplanes are supposed to taxi past!! HAHAHAHA

LfGA0pl.jpg

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

They have a habit of doing that at most of their airports, I don't think they have actually ever tried taxing in an aircraft at any of their airports with AI traffic parked at stands and no FSDT its not the traffic developers fault, you made the AFCAD not them. Zurich has some taxiways that can barely get a CRJ down them never mind a 747 and Geneva is an absolute nightmare to taxi around in anything bigger than a 737.

I remember being frustrated at Zurich and Geneva as airplane wings went through other planes as they taxied. (Also at KLAS)

I just assumed that since nobody else was complaining, I must be doing something wrong, somehow. :-)

I vaguely remember somebody mentioning KLAS taxi issues on the FSDT forum and some explanation being given that actually all was correct. But that was a long time ago, and just cemented my impression that I had no clue.

FSDT make some beautiful artwork, no doubt.

But their AFD files are absolutely horrible, and not even just by omission, if you actually work at trying to fix them you quickly see it's just laziness/lack of concern. Every time this has been brought to their attention, Umberto simply confirms that it doesn't matter to them.

Contrast that with Flightbeam, who's KIAD AFD file was the first I can remember that didn't really need anything done to it.

Cargo areas are often treated as afterthoughts though, FSDT is far from the first to do so unfortunately.

• Upvote 1

I was afraid at seeing the replies to this post, because man did I face-palm. Yes, big haulers taxi through there.

I recall when Zurich came out taxiway "E"  that takes you to runway 16 was very narrow. And they posted a shot from Google Earth showing how they measure the taxiway width and claimed it to be accurate.

It does look narrow in GE but I still wonder if it is really that narrow (bogies almost touch the grass!).

I recently installed their KJFK v2.0. The rendition of the runways are horrible, there are no markings, lights and texture looks terrible. Also all the gates in KJFK are designated as small.

I am switching back to Blueprints KJFK although their jetways are fixed.

(...)

I am switching back to Blueprints KJFK although their jetways are fixed.

Exactly my thought: Blueprint, anyone?!?   :rolleyes:

Sadly, cargo and ga parking areas often seem to be an afterthought in many major airport sceneries. :(

Now I remember! I think the explanation given was that planes were being directed to incorrect gates by poor afcad designers or something.

I have had the same problems. I thought it was just me!

Wish list for 2014: addon airports with REAL dimensions on taxiways and gates...

lol  :lol:

eiowab.jpg

FSDT modeled the area correctly, but they put the parking spaces way too far to the left when they should be pushed up to the right against the buildings as your picture shows.

The entire cargo area and taxiways have been redone, as well as a new runway. I hope FSDT updates KORD and pays attention to all areas!

Blueprint doesn't help itself when their own product page shows such God-awful pictures of the airports.........  :blink:

And I'm not sure its any better on clearance..........

Must admit that FSDreamteam has disappointed me when it comes to KORD.

The changes to the runways and the additional taxiways in the south area of the airport

took place over some years ago and considering how important this airport is to the Sim community, their lack of interest in making what could be a simple update to their scenery could perhaps be attributed to the fact that the scenery has already generated enough financial revenue and doesn't justify any further changes. Sadly this is indicative of a purely business approach totally devoid of the needs of our community. As it stands it is an incorrect and not fit for purpose scenery.

...their lack of interest in making what could be a simple update to their scenery...

...Sadly this is indicative of a purely business approach totally devoid of the needs of our community.

Your comments make a response very difficult, this holiday season.

If you had looked around the FSDT forums, you would find that a remake to current standards is on the agenda. And no, I don't believe throwing down new runways, taxiways, etc is a "simple update".

From a "purely business approach", expect to grab your credit card to pay for the not-so-simple update.

And it's just a thing I have, but the gratuitous use of the word "need" is almost funny. See, you need air, water and nourishment to survive. Otherwise, you will die. Not having an updated ORD does not translate into a "need", but people use that term rather than saying "I want", much like a 6 year old in the toy aisle just before Christmas would say "I want, I want, I want..."

And it's just a thing I have, but the gratuitous use of the word "need" is almost funny. See, you need air, water and nourishment to survive. Otherwise, you will die. Not having an updated ORD does not translate into a "need", but people use that term rather than saying "I want", much like a 6 year old in the toy aisle just before Christmas would say "I want, I want, I want..."

Well said MM. That term "need" is over used imho when it comes to addons for FSX. Most of the devs i'm sure are doing their best to provide us with our "needs" so we can fly, taxi, and park properly.

Poorly designed afcad parking spots and blatantly incorrect or blank airline gate assignments are a real pet peeve of mine.  I don't understand why some developers don't spend the extra few hours to clean up such errors, especially with all the care and effort they put into manually placing buildings and adjusting taxiway nodes, why stop there??

Reminds me of some of the Imaginesim airfields, particularly KATL, where entire gates are missing.  You can see the node where the taxiway should connect to the spot at the gate, but the actual link is missing.   Again, it would just take a few minutes to an hour to clean up such glaringly obvious errors, it drives me nuts that they spend months upon months on their work but see the presentation of AI at their airports as an afterthought!

Reminds me of some of the Imaginesim airfields, particularly KATL, where entire gates are missing.

ImagineSim does this intentionally so that user aircraft always have a proper gate to park at. At a busy airport like ATL it's not unusual for your Delta aircraft to get parked in cargo or overflow.

Do there airports work with Windows 7? I thought when I was reading there product description Windows 7 wasn't listed under the requirements. They have a couple airports I would like but I was hesitant because I didn't think they were compatible with Windows 7. 

Do there airports work with Windows 7? I thought when I was reading there product description Windows 7 wasn't listed under the requirements. They have a couple airports I would like but I was hesitant because I didn't think they were compatible with Windows 7. 

Blueprint offer two demo airports, that work fine on my W7.

And why shouldn't they, as long as their file formats can be read by FSX?

Poorly designed afcad parking spots and blatantly incorrect or blank airline gate assignments are a real pet peeve of mine.  I don't understand why some developers don't spend the extra few hours to clean up such errors, especially with all the care and effort they put into manually placing buildings and adjusting taxiway nodes, why stop there??

I agree. The part that really annoys me with FSDT airports is you spend a lot of time fixing their work, but if you have GSX, every time you do an update it installs another AFCAD in the airport folders, because the install doesn't recognize your modified AFCAD. This results in duplicate files and you have to clean them out.

Reminds me of some of the Imaginesim airfields, particularly KATL, where entire gates are missing.  You can see the node where the taxiway should connect to the spot at the gate, but the actual link is missing.   Again, it would just take a few minutes to an hour to clean up such glaringly obvious errors, it drives me nuts that they spend months upon months on their work but see the presentation of AI at their airports as an afterthought!

Afcads are easy to fix. What bugs me is the fact that after I fix the afcad and later on run any fsdt installer, it proceeds to OVERWRITE every change to every FSDT airpot that I have ever made. It even goes so far to replace the gsx sound files that I edited so you don't hear that annoying and amateur sounding boarding sounds.

• Upvote 1

I forget who but I remember some time back a poster said the happiest simmers he knows are those who use default scenery and focus on mastering there panels. As a scenery junkie myself I wonder if he was on to something considering time and treasure spent. I remember in one of Mike Rays past articles he started his tutorial at the departure runway because sim doesnt taxi very realisticly.