Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ohsirus

X-Plane Loading TImes

Since I have been fleshing out my XPX install, OSM,Airports/Payware ACs/Plugin glarores, etc etc. My loading time is 4 minutes from the flight selection screen. Anyone else notice their loading times increasing from when they first installed?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Yup. It's almost to the point where I wonder if I should go make a sandwich while things load. Or I keep my ipad in hand to do some quick surfing. :-)

I guess it depends on what scenery you have for that area, i.e. lots of photoscenery or such.

I recently did a O&O defrag by Name on my X-Plane drive and that reduced loading times a fair bit for me.

C

Yes, takes it's time :-/. The more you have... the more you wait...

I always make myself a cup of tea during this valuable time  :Cuppa:

Once loaded I have no performance issues, but I used to cry at how long FSX took now I have quadrupled my wait.

I have quadrupled my wait.

But also your joy!!!! ;-)

I get hypnotized by the light blue loading screen... and go... into a big deep trance... you know... before I fly... :Silly:

Same for me. While waiting, or during a long flight, I watch some X-Plane videos or check my email on my tablet. I call it 'in-flight entertainment'.

I'm at the point where I just leave it running in the background. I honestly don't recall when my install started taking soo long. 

Yeah, it takes mine a good 5 mins, so I normally go and make a drink, or switch to the web browser and leave it going. The more scenery you add, the worst it gets

I use two ssd in raid0 only for X-Plane. The time for loading in big citys like NY, Seattle no more than 1 min ever

Now I have HD scenery mesh v2. Before HD mesh V2 and the time to load was between 35~45 seconds.

Unless I run extreme textures it doesn't take any longer than a minute for me in hd mesh areas with payware planes. Wonder what's causing the huge differences...?

SSD or raid will speed up the process big time....

My windows PC has a RAID 0 config and my MacBook Pro has a speed flash HD.....About a minute to load......

Unless I run extreme textures it doesn't take any longer than a minute for me in hd mesh areas with payware planes. Wonder what's causing the huge differences...?

That's what I figured out, once I backed off extreme it's back to a respectable time. I have a SSD, but its mainly for FSX to stop the crazy texture popping.

That's what I figured out, once I backed off extreme it's back to a respectable time. I have a SSD, but its mainly for FSX to stop the crazy texture popping.

TBH I can't see much difference between extreme and very high, even when I get right up close and personal with the Carenado C90's high-res cockpit textures.

TBH I can't see much difference between extreme and very high, even when I get right up close and personal with the Carenado C90's high-res cockpit textures.

I was flying in DCS today and looking down, the regular textures seemed as sharp or sharper than "Extreme" in X-plane. It got me wondering why XPX seems to do it in such an all or nothing way instead of allocating by distance.....

Certainly if "Extreme" textures go to the horizon that's gotta be a memory hog and probably a loading-time hog as well?

Think it depends on the plane. The J32's cockpit textures are definitely not as sharp as the Carenado C90 which for me is the best cockpit in any sim I've seen so far.

Still very interested in DCS. I downloaded the demo but wasn't very impressed, particularly with the mesh. Mind you I wasn't that impressed with the XP demo when I first tried it. The Nevada scenery does look very good though.

If I load a flight to an area, where I dont have much addon scenery installed, It takes about 2 -3 mins to load.  Fastr, If im loading a after just having exited XP.  But if Im loading to an area, like NY, (where I have a ton of stuff), it takes 7 - 8 mins to load. MY Xp directory is now over 530GB and growing.  I really need to start cleaning out stuff and stop hording scenery I dont use anymore, but its running well and Im afraid to mess with it.

Rob

Think it depends on the plane. The J32's cockpit textures are definitely not as sharp as the Carenado C90 which for me is the best cockpit in any sim I've seen so far.

Still very interested in DCS. I downloaded the demo but wasn't very impressed, particularly with the mesh. Mind you I wasn't that impressed with the XP demo when I first tried it. The Nevada scenery does look very good though.

Actually I think DCS and XPX mesh have a lot in common, tending to be a bit slab-side and "polygonish" (I made up that word) to an extent that even (In XPX's case) the HD mesh can sometimes not overcome it. (DCS has the upcoming EDGE engine to help combat it on their side)

Move past that and the two sims diverge quickly. I would say XPX is more open and varied, but that DCS was overall more polished and complete within its area of focus, albeit more closed.

Grab it on a Steam sale! I find having multiple sims helps me in evaluating strengths and weaknesses that might not be readily apparent if you only have one sim as a reference.