Sign in to follow this  
PapaRomeo

Please recommend a 737 for me

Some time ago i got the PMDG 737NGX, very complex and abselutely great.

I was wondering.... are there anything between that one and the default 737?

Not that i dont like the PMDG, but perhaps less system demanding and pilot demanding :-)
Heck! maybe you can even load up the GPS?

So this is the criteria/wishes.
Able to fly with GPS

Nice virtual cockpit/high quality

And... thats it i think.

So please tell me what you think.
Last i asked for something, i was recommended the Twin Otter Extended, and that was superb.

So PLEASE dont hold back suggestions :-)

Thanks.

i9 10900KF
RTX 3080
32gb ram
SSD

Milviz if you want to fly the -200. QWsim is making a classic that will be 'less complicated' than the pmdg one. Personally I think setting up the FMC is part of the fun but I think it is going to be hard to find something with a high quality VC but with simplistic features. maybe Captain sim but that is another -200 and -100

Not that i dont like the PMDG, but perhaps less system demanding and pilot demanding :-)

Heck! maybe you can even load up the GPS?

So this is the criteria/wishes.

Able to fly with GPS

Nice virtual cockpit/high quality

And... thats it i think.

So please tell me what you think.

Last i asked for something, i was recommended the Twin Otter Extended, and that was superb.

So PLEASE dont hold back suggestions :-)

Thanks.

I think it is easy to get lost in the huge volume of manuals provided with the PMDG. Most turbine aircraft basically follow the same procedure for start up. Also the FMS can be dealt with in a very simple process beginning with a default VOR flight plan to the destination entered by hand. Not that complicated. The best feature of the PMDG 737 is hand flying. Smooth, responsive, trim sensitive. Stay with PMDG would be my advice.

The only real option for an NG series addon, other than the iFly, is the Overland/SMS version that includes the 700,800, and 900 as part of their 'Boeing pack'. http://secure.simmarket.com/overland-fly-into-the-sky-boeing-edition.phtml

You can fly it with the default GPS, but that is because the systems are essentially the same as the default 737 with a lower-quality VC. 

iFly seems to get lost in all the PMDG hype, but I think it's actually a better product with a much better looking vc. You also get most of the variants in one package.

iFly seems to get lost in all the PMDG hype, but I think it's actually a better product with a much better looking vc. You also get most of the variants in one package.

Is it possible to use the GPS with the ifly?

i9 10900KF
RTX 3080
32gb ram
SSD

If suggest trying the freeware upgrade to the default 737 available at FSND (search google for FSND) at simviation. It's supposed to add some enhancements to the default systems and also adds VC rain effects and wipers. There's a similar 747 upgrade as well, plus some other basic planes including an MD-83.

If you decide to stay with the PMDG, I would recommend the Angle of Attack training, or if you want a quick fix look up some FMC tutorials on YouTube.

If you want to decrease your workload for PMDG get fs2crew for it. This is probably the best addon for this aircraft and let's you fly like real captain.

Gps is a no go to me anymore in jets and I am honestly wondering why you want to use it. I am flying my ngx with default ATC using fmc in the meantime. Later on I can provide you online flight planner which I use and short tutorial on how to transfer it to fmc, without SIDS and stars. Setting up the route is really simple.

Is it possible to use the GPS with the ifly?

I always found this odd people think modern airliners are hard to comprehend. Coming from add-ons like Ready For Pushback's 742, SSTSim's Concord, and Dreamfleet 727 modern airliners are a breeze compared to a three man cockpit. If an FMC is hard for you try a less functional autopilot, old navigation equipment, VOR to VOR navigation, or flying a SID/STAR by a map versus having it appear on your ND screen. Someone recommended a detailed 737-200 which is harder to get into than a modern 737NG. It's also true an add-on like the PMDG 737 is easier than the default because you have so much more situational awareness like TCAS and terrain info for example. Heck the iFly model will have a weather radar shortly. How these modern tools don't make things easier for some I'll never understand. It's not just simmers but we have real world examples of screwups that shouldn't be possible today like Comair taking off on the wrong runway, Southwest landing on the wrong runway, and Asiana to name a few...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I understand where you're coming from as it seems like the NGX can be a lot to learn, but if you can just stick with it for a while I think you will find that its a very easy aircraft to fly and in some aspects, easier than the default model. Once you get used to programming the FMC, you'll be able to set up a whole flight in less than 10 minutes, maybe even quicker.

On top of that, if you want to simplify, just start with the engines already running and ready to go. You can even upload your flight plan from an external planner into the FMC, then all you need to do is fill in the few blanks, some of which auto fill just by pressing the corresponding LSK.

Sometimes I dont have a lot of time do a proper flight, so I will load the plane running (default state), import my flight plan, take an estimated guess at the amount of fuel needed, set the auto throttle, flight director switches, LNAV, VNAV, set the speed in the MCP, drop the flaps, set the trim and taxi to the active runway and go. Once in the air, retract the gear, press the CMD button, retract the flaps on schedule there can be not a whole lot to do until descent and arrival. You can set a quick and dirty flight like this in no time with minimal time and effort. 

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I always found this odd people think modern airliners are hard to comprehend. Coming from add-ons like Ready For Pushback's 742, SSTSim's Concord, and Dreamfleet 727 modern airliners are a breeze compared to a three man cockpit. If an FMC is hard for you try a less functional autopilot, old navigation equipment, VOR to VOR navigation, or flying a SID/STAR by a map versus having it appear on your ND screen. Someone recommended a detailed 737-200 which is harder to get into than a modern 737NG. It's also true an add-on like the PMDG 737 is easier than the default because you have so much more situational awareness like TCAS and terrain info for example. Heck the iFly model will have a weather radar shortly. How these modern tools don't make things easier for some I'll never understand. It's not just simmers but we have real world examples of screwups that shouldn't be possible today like Comair taking off on the wrong runway, Southwest landing on the wrong runway, and Asiana to name a few...

I actually think you are right.

But now i know how to use the GPS.

I DONT know how to program the FMC.

And i dont have any software for setting up flights. Someone even said they spend 15-20 minutes just setting up a flight!

I know it will be faster when you have done it some times, sure, but right now i dont have time for it.

And the PMDG is fps hungry, so i have to tweak FSX just to fly with it.

That means lots of compromises regarding graphics.

Dont get me wrong, i like the 737NGX, and happy to have it in my fleet when i have time for it, and time setting it up for FSX.

i9 10900KF
RTX 3080
32gb ram
SSD

Well... As i said I use freeware online flight planner which exports route to FSX, fmc and ASN. With fs2crew and gsx I am on the runway in 20 min from cold and dark. Without gsx it would be faster. If you don't simulate failures you don't have to conduct many tests and that way can save additional time. Fs2crew also works in different states. Anyway - your call. Fmc after few hours of practice is piece of cake and IMO much more intuitive than airbus one. I adore it. Just load saved route, type in few data about flaps, crz wind, payload &fuel, runway and just go flying. You can try the iFly but I don't think it is much simpler in terms of complexity.

Anyway - beautifully modeled but simple - never found 737 like this for FSX.

As for the tweaks I don't know your computer specs but I am running 2 tweaks and getting avg FPS over 30 with many other visual addons.