Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Malaysian Flight 370

Another update:

LIVE PRESS CONFERENCE UPDATE: OBJECTS  ARE "CREDIBLE SIGHTINGS"

The objects seen on satellite radar are "possibleindications of debris" about 2500km south west of Perth, south of the search area. 
A RAAF aircraft arrived at the area just before 2pm (AEDT) and three more military aircraft, including two from the United States and New Zealand, are expected to reach the area later.
The US Poseidon - 8 aircraft should be on scene now.
A merchant ship that responded to a shipping broadcast issued by Rescue CoordinationAustralia is expected to arrive in the area about 6pm (AEDT).
The NZ aircraft should be on scene at 8pm. 
Weather conditions are moderate, but poor visibility has been reported and will hamper the search.
The objects may be difficult to locate and may not be linked to the search.
They are "indistinct" on satellite imagery.

"They are of reasonable size".

The satellite images were captured in the vicinity of the search area as defined by the search in past two days.
"The imagery was assessed by experts this morning who deemed it to be "credible". 
One of the objects is up to 24 metres in length, John Young, General Manager from the Australian Maritime Safety Authority said today.
“The indication to me is of objects that are of reasonable size and awash with water, bobbing up and down on the surface.”
Mr Young said the objects were much larger than abasketball.
"The largest image I’ve seen is assessed as being about 24m," he said.
"And a number of other images in the generalarea."

• Upvote 1

Flight Sim and Public out cry for us all to be 'rounded up to concentration camps: One word - Kardashians. or two words - Duck Dynasty. Mr Dillions passionate words in fear of the Flight Simulation community is a refection of our own interest, and a natural reaction for something we all follow and care about. The general public on the other hand... just don't give a sh#t. There will be no banning of anything, or dumbing down of addon's, or the withdrawal of commercial manufactures of flight sim support. Calm down brothers.

Well said.  I have been caught up recently with the hijinks in our U.S. congress and their inextricable link to big money influence from the 1%, and recently, the widespread discussion of income disparity and climate change, and I always wonder why there is not more outrage by the general populace.   It's very simple, the average American is just too comfortable and distracted by garbage like Miley Cyrus and Dancing with the Stars to give a hoot.  Some may even say the 1% are behind an intentional effort to keep the general public docile, but I'm not going to get into all that, I've had enough of all the conjecture thus far on this particular incident.

It is too early to say this is the news the world has been waiting for, but it sure seems headed that way.   I wouldn't want to be in Indonesia's shoes, there is no way an aircraft the size of the 777 should be able to penetrate their airspace undetected on their military radar, even with the transponder off.   They had critical information on the flight path change, but sat on it because "no one asked us"???   To think, if they came forward earlier the search perimeter would have been narrowed down sooner, and if this is in fact the flight's debris, so much time and effort would not have been senselessly wasted.   One thing for certain, this event was a huge embarrassment for the emerging Asian economies, as their contributions to the SAR effort was rife with confusion, incompetence, and possibly intentional head faking to save face (Indonesia?)   It appears the stable developed economies like Australia, the U.K., and the United States provided the best intelligence and resources to putting an end to this long and frustrating search. 

Another update:

LIVE PRESS CONFERENCE UPDATE: OBJECTS ARE "CREDIBLE SIGHTINGS"The objects seen on satellite radar are "possibleindications of debris" about 2500km south west of Perth, south of the search area. A RAAF aircraft arrived at the area just before 2pm (AEDT) and three more military aircraft, including two from the United States and New Zealand, are expected to reach the area later.The US Poseidon - 8 aircraft should be on scene now.A merchant ship that responded to a shipping broadcast issued by Rescue CoordinationAustralia is expected to arrive in the area about 6pm (AEDT).The NZ aircraft should be on scene at 8pm. Weather conditions are moderate, but poor visibility has been reported and will hamper the search.The objects may be difficult to locate and may not be linked to the search.They are "indistinct" on satellite imagery. "They are of reasonable size".The satellite images were captured in the vicinity of the search area as defined by the search in past two days."The imagery was assessed by experts this morning who deemed it to be "credible". One of the objects is up to 24 metres in length, John Young, General Manager from the Australian Maritime Safety Authority said today.“The indication to me is of objects that are of reasonable size and awash with water, bobbing up and down on the surface.”Mr Young said the objects were much larger than abasketball."The largest image I’ve seen is assessed as being about 24m," he said."And a number of other images in the generalarea."

Man, just woke out of a sound sleep with a feeling there was an update. Let's hope this is something tangible. Let's hope this can bring closure to the families and let's hope some of the conspiracy theories will be put to bed...

How this ties to 1%ers is beyond me, and what this has to do with emerging Asian economies opposed to "stable economies" is also beyond me. Can we not make this political?? AJ, you managed to get all your interests and your location into one post, US, politics, stock market, well done...

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

I wouldn't want to be in Indonesia's shoes

It was Thailand, not Indonesia.

It appears the stable developed economies like Australia, the U.K., and the United States

And New Zealand Furthermore, China did not sit on there hands. You have a weird view of the world.

Do you work for CNN ? :lol:

Man, just woke out of a sound sleep with a feeling there was an update. Let's hope this is something tangible. Let's hope this can bring closure to the families and let's hope some of the conspiracy theories will be put to bed.

Yes, hope so. The families need closure, regardless of the reasons why.

• Upvote 1

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Who's got the next wild one? (Please keep it as short as possible)

I am going with alien abduction (short enough for yea)  :ph34r:

Since we talking about  wild one hows this idea, its never was missing in the first place   Malaysia  was  a month out of  the 1st of  april :ph34r:

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

My gut also tells me if they find the recorders they will find hours of silence... I have a feeling the real damage to the passengers happened long before the crash.

Reporter David Wright is onboard a US P8,that should be in the region now and said the largest radar return was 78 feet.

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Please people, do yourselves all a favor and turn off CNN

If CNN are putting stuff like this up, I think this is the best suggestion to date on this thread.

"We have now learned that 3 days before the incident that the Captain had recalibrated his yoke.  It is still unclear why he would do something like this, but we believe this had something to do with the 777 making its sharp westward turn back over Malaysia.  We have been reporting all along that someone had reprogrammed the plane's computer to make such a maneuver, but it's now been confirmed by unconfirmed sources that it was the recalibration of the yoke that made this happen.'

Say WHAT???. Did they even think to investigate what recalibration of a yoke means! Do they even know its is absolutely impossible for any pilot to recalibarte the yoke of an aircraft (unless you mean trim out control forces - perfectly normal). My goodness this had to go down in history as the poorest piece of reporting ever.

My wish? When all is done someone makes up a list of all the ridiculous reporting CNN has made on this issue and sues them for misrepresentation, reckless contribution to the agony of relatives onboard, libel against severla companies / individuals, whatever will stick! They need to be made to clena up their journalism!

Rob

Robin Harris

If CNN are putting stuff like this up, I think this is the best suggestion to date on this thread.

"We have now learned that 3 days before the incident that the Captain had recalibrated his yoke.  It is still unclear why he would do something like this, but we believe this had something to do with the 777 making its sharp westward turn back over Malaysia.  We have been reporting all along that someone had reprogrammed the plane's computer to make such a maneuver, but it's now been confirmed by unconfirmed sources that it was the recalibration of the yoke that made this happen.'

Say WHAT???. Did they even think to investigate what recalibration of a yoke means! Do they even know its is absolutely impossible for any pilot to recalibarte the yoke of an aircraft (unless you mean trim out control forces - perfectly normal). My goodness this had to go down in history as the poorest piece of reporting ever.

My wish? When all is done someone makes up a list of all the ridiculous reporting CNN has made on this issue and sues them for misrepresentation, reckless contribution to the agony of relatives onboard, libel against severla companies / individuals, whatever will stick! They need to be made to clena up their journalism!

Rob

The idea of recalibrating the yoke was just a joke, on this forum only.   It would fit well on a site like The Onion.

Rob

That was a yoke joke, made up by a fellow flightsimmer here on AVSIM. Has never been brought by CNN.

Not disagreeing CNN has been horrible but when did they say anything about recalibrating his yoke? I personally found this to be very balanced:http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/18/world/asia/mh370-pilot-flight-simulator/?c=&page=1

CNN) - Like an over-keen online gamer, there appears nothing in Captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah's post on a flight simulator forum that suggests anything more untoward than exaggerated geekiness.

For many in the airline industry, however, the fact that Captain Zaharie had an off-the-shelf -- albeit elaborate -- flight simulator at home is nothing out of the ordinary.

"Realistically speaking, having a simulator means absolutely nothing," Julian D'Arcy, the flight operations and training manager at Pacific Simulators, told CNN. "The only reason I can see that the simulator is under investigation is just to see if he happened to fly that route on his simulator history which might point to where it is.

"It'd be the same if he just had a Nintendo -- it makes no sense."

Operating for fun

He said that while Zaharie's flight simulator might look complex to the uninitiated, its plastic pedals and desktop steering yoke could be bought at any gaming store or electronics shop.

"Most pilots would have some version of a Microsoft flight simulator on their home computers -- you can practice instrument flying and systems knowledge, they're great for that, but you can't teach someone to fly a plane from scratch."

Pilots, he said, often use flight simulators in their spare time, for their own satisfaction, to improve their flight skills and to contribute to an online community of simulation enthusiasts.

"Aviation is one of those things you're born with -- a lot of people do it from when they're little kids. Pilots (operate simulators) for fun and like to the help the community.

"I know a lot of pilots, when they get home will take a remote-control helicopter out of their car boot and fly it around their backyard. It's in the blood -- it's not so much a job as a life."

Aviation expert Jim Tilmon says the simulator is a useful tool for pilots: "I didn't read anything into it in the beginning, because some pilots do like to have that to tinker with and if they're going to be flying the next month into an airport they haven't been in before, they can program that and get some experience in doing that and practice.

An airline industry source who regularly flies Boeing aircraft said the flight simulator was unlikely to reveal many clues.

"The idea that he was using a home simulator as a means to train himself to hijack the plane is ludicrous," he said. "Plenty of aviation enthusiasts have 'sims' at home.

"Pilots don't necessarily have them because they fly all the time -- it might be like a journalist writing an article for fun in his spare time -- but I guess if its your passion maybe that's what you'd do."

He said it was unlikely the simulator would be used, as has been speculated, to test run a landing at an undetected airstrip.

"Really, if he is an airline pilot like the rest of us, he already has that skillset -- he doesn't need a simulator to practice.

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

a link to the article with photos of the possible debris detected by satellite.

If you look carefully at the object marked 24m it has dark marking on it that looks remarkeably like the Malaysian Airline logo on the tail.

Robin Harris

They didn't uplift any extra fuel.  They had enough for the trip and typical company reserves.  climbing back up to cruise again would burn of a fairly large chunk of the trip fuel.

Correct and some muppet on pprune was saying they might be tankering...on a 7+ hour flight.... its enough to drive any qualified dispatcher mad...

If you look carefully at the object marked 24m it has dark marking on it that looks remarkeably like the Malaysian Airline logo on the tail.

Thats a bloody long way away from the last ping.... I bet boeing are starting to be worried, however if it is the a/c... at least they know the RAT works !!!!

14ppkc-6.png

There have just been a few comments by the guy in charge of the air France investigation suggesting that it may be the tail however it would be very UNUSUAL to have a piece of 24m remaining intact with that type of crash into the sea

ZORAN

I was thinking that Zoran.. too big...

Although i was also thinking if it is and its all the way down there, the Malaysians are going look little stupid and maybe they should spend their money on some better radars instead of rigging elections...

14ppkc-6.png