Sign in to follow this  
Ron Attwood

Congratulations USA!

On getting through to the last 16. You must let us English know what it feels like! :(

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Most of Italy are out, the rest have yet to be flossed.

Thanks for the kind words Ron. Although I'm not a big soccer fan I still appreciate it.

Regards,

Congrats USA, now I know I'll attend Germany vs H 2nd (Russia please!).

Mel, it's football we're talkin' here. Eventually, judging by reported viewing figures in the US, you'll come round to calling it football as well. :lol:

Yes hopefully someday the name will be correct lol

The last 16 looks very interesting. I always find it annoying/funny when the English press talk about how their team isn't good enough or they don't have the players, tell that to the US, Algeria or South Korea if they get through and especially Costa Rica, england should be quarter finals at least and consistently.

Uruguay will fall short now though because of Suarez's snack time...

I like to call it "Fútbol". Playing the way they did against Germany I don't think they have a chance in the next round. They need to attack more. Anything can happen. 

Would love to see Netherlands win a Cup.

They need to attack more.

That's the great thing about football, there is always something you need to do more of...or less of. If they attack more they're open to attack themselves. It's a funny old game, Saint. :smile:

Haha. Yeap. Makes sense. Anyways I'm enjoying this World Cup so far.

I like to call it "Fútbol". Playing the way they did against Germany I don't think they have a chance in the next round. They need to attack more. Anything can happen. 

Would love to see Netherlands win a Cup.

I think US played really well. Germany is a tough team to beat. They (and Netherlands) are going on for the title for sure.

I'm not a big fan of basketball, but thanks for the congrats anyway.

Mel, it's football we're talkin' here. Eventually, judging by reported viewing figures in the US, you'll come round to calling it football as well. :lol:

Now that's not bloody likely, considering the impact of the National Football League on the economy here in the United States...

Somehow I think they'd strongly resist being renamed the National Pigskin League just so "soccer" could be awarded the name "football."

Why that would be like trying to force cricket to be re-labeled as 'bats in the belfry' or some such nonsense. :LMAO:

I'm not a football fan, but always enjoy the World Cup! Sad that England are out, but if they play like that I'm not really surprised. Lovin the Netherlands at the mo, but got Brazil in the sweepstakes at work so go Brazil lol

Why that would be like trying to force cricket to be re-labeled as 'bats in the belfry' or some such nonsense.

Ah, cricket... The greatest imponderable ever foisted off on the world. I once made the silly statement to a fellow Ferranti employee that "I wished I understood cricket". We were in our offices in Aberdeen at the time and it was a Friday night. I was spending the weekend with he and his family that weekend in Aboyne, just up the river Dee from the office. England was playing Scotland at the time (if memory serves)... Instead of doing something useful, like poaching salmon, we spent all of Saturday in his man cave watching the game. The only thing I succeeded in learning that weekend was how wonderful single malts are... Never did (nor have I since) figured out what the hell they were doing /  playing / scoring, etc. etc. I did conclude however, that cricket was a pacification measure put on the English colonies. You know, along the lines of "let them play cricket (as opposed to cake)... The irony is that the former colonies whip the heck out England on most occasions (again, if my game counts are accurate). :Big Grin:

I didn't think it would long before someone dragged that up. :rolleyes:

...let them play cricket (as opposed to cake)... The irony is that the former colonies whip the heck out England...

There's never a free lunch, Tom. :biggrin:  Speaking of which, I'm told Italians make good food, although I prefer Pizza and Pasta.

On getting through to the last 16. You must let us English know what it feels like! :(

Big fan of soccer here and I am thrilled to see this US team making it through such a difficult group. My hope is that this can create more excitement and understanding of this sport in the United States.  There is definitely a larger number of American players that are increasing the level of talent in this country and I hope to see that grow over the years.  In this country there are three professional tiers of soccer and each tier is growing in terms of number of teams and quality of talent.  Who knows, maybe within twenty years the US could take the cup.

...maybe within twenty years the US could take the cup...

That's the spirit, set yourself a goal and go for it. (oops)

I can't believe how I've become so INTERESTED in soccer (Futbol).  The USA has made me rivet myself to the game when they played...and even when all the other countries show their wonderful skills.  Whew....what a game.  When my Daughters played years ago, I enjoyed their games but had no interest in anything but American football.  I like scoring!  Soccer is so defensive and the scores so low, that I quickly lost interest.  NO MORE.  I appreciate the athleticism and the skill I have been witnessing.  The coach for the USA is tremendous, and the USA has one terrific goal tender. I've truly become a fan and have begun to understand why the entire world is so involved in the sport.

Perhaps it will bring the world closer together....I can only hope.

Stan

If I want to watch football I'll watch the Bears play the Packers or Michigan play Notre Dame!

Mel, it's football we're talkin' here. Eventually, judging by reported viewing figures in the US, you'll come round to calling it football as well.

Well Ron the problem is then we would have to figure out what to rename what we call football without incurring the wrath of a fair sized chunk of the population here.

The greatest imponderable ever foisted off on the world.

I've watched Cricket a few times. At first I thought it might be something like baseball. All I got out of it was a sore head from scratching. I suppose if I really really wanted to understand I'd have to sit down and read the rule book (with pictures). I'm sure people who do know cricket and its rules view baseball with the same puzzlement. He stole a base?!! Is that a felony or a misdemeanor? Wait a minute the base is still there, I can see it, why did they accuse him of stealing it? That official on the field said the guy stealing the base was safe but I could see that he wasn't in any danger at all. This game doesn't make any sense!

Best regards to all,

Well Ron the problem is then we would have to figure out what to rename what we call football without incurring the wrath of a fair sized chunk of the population here.

How about...American Football? :smile:

What cricket has to do with this thread I have no idea, but failure to understand it says more about the person not understanding it, than it does about the game!

Now Bridge, (the card game) is another kettle of fish. That truly IS unfathomable! (see what that says about me? :blush: )

I'm sure people who do know cricket and its rules view baseball with the same puzzlement. He stole a base?

Well no actually. Stealing a base sounds OK. He got to the base by being sneaky/crafty/whatever. Simples. :smile:

Really good world cup so far, cograts. to all participants.