Sign in to follow this  
haskell

Alabeo DA-40

I just saw the newly released DA-40 from Alabeo. I LOVE that it is the steam-gauge version as there are so many G1000 planes out there. 

Has anyone bought it? 

How does it fly? 

Is it possible to use the RXP GNS in it? 

I will likely be flying the DA-40 IRL and there aren't many good sim versions out there. Would love to try this one if I can use my RXP. 

Thanks all. 

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Yes, I'm really enjoying it also

here ya go: 

Cheers, Rob.

It looks great but I am so spoiled by the Aerosoft DA20 I would probably feel let down by the Alabeo DA40. I know they two are different aircraft but.. You can't help but compare since they are in the same family. Thanks for the video Rob!

Hey Bill, 

Totally agree with the Aerosoft! But that thing is so stinking slow. I need something to get me 140-150kt. Now if THEY did a DA-40... done!

And thanks Rob! Great video!

It actually looks pretty good especially the RXP integration but I'm trying to purchase things I'll know I'll use more then a couple of times.

Alabeo is looking good...

BTW Rob, stunning colours in that video. Can't wait till I move to P3D V2. I loved V1.4 so I'm waiting to see what I've been missing!

Anyway don't wanna derail the thread too much.

It looks great but I am so spoiled by the Aerosoft DA20 I would probably feel let down by the Alabeo DA40. I know they two are different aircraft but.. You can't help but compare since they are in the same family. Thanks for the video Rob!

My thoughts precisely. Aerosoft feels 'real' Alabeo feels 'unfinished' in that they forgot to put any life into it. Or maybe I've just been spoilt by A2A!

My thoughts precisely. Aerosoft feels 'real' Alabeo feels 'unfinished' in that they forgot to put any life into it. Or maybe I've just been spoilt by A2A!

Seeing you say this Ron just saved me a little money. Thanks, Man.

Yeah that's why I chose not to purchase as well

If you aren't a real world pilot, for a lot of folks who don't necessarily want all of the realism bells and whistles, then I think this is a product well worth the price.

I am especially enjoying it for low and slow scenery gawking.  The field of vision is really really good!  Also the night lighting is top notch, as are the frame rates.  Also, the visuals are absolutely stunning.  So for me, this is a 9 out of 10 rating.

I know that Carenado and Alabeo take a lot of hard wraps, but I definitely think there is room in this hobby for different levels of realism.  Different strokes for different folks.  Also the price is only $27 as compared to $50.

So just sign me as "in defense of Carenado and Alabeo".

Does it have missing features or does it just not feel "alive"?

Bernt has been doing all the Alabeo and Carenado FDE's and I think they are pretty good. I was tempted to buy this - good value.

After trying lots of GA airplanes, I usually return to the RealAir birds.. the Lancair Legacy is amazing and excellent value at 15 euros..  (half of what I paid for it!)

Bernt has been doing all the Alabeo and Carenado FDE's and I think they are pretty good. I was tempted to buy this - good value.

He boasts way too much about them though; and I haven't heard good things about the Cardinal FDEs.

Agree with that too... (Bert's post)

Consider with the Da40 it can fly in P3D and they don't charge more for it... I started flying P3D so this is a factor for me

Does it have missing features or does it just not feel "alive"?

You feel like your flying someones art project and not a complicated piece of machinery. 

But a Diamond star isn't a complicated piece of machinery .... Hehe

You feel like your flying someones art project and not a complicated piece of machinery. 

Weird, I've heard good things about Alabeo aircraft until the Cardinal came out. I'm worried they're becoming more like Carenado, especially with their upcoming C207.

Weird, I've heard good things about Alabeo aircraft until the Cardinal came out. I'm worried they're becoming more like Carenado, especially with their upcoming C207.

I grabbed their c172 because I'm a sucker for high wing Cessnas with retractable gear. It looks fantastic..  But you immediately see the drastic jump from A2A to Alabeo.. Alabeo c172 while flies nice just doesn't "feel alive" and feels like I've flown it before as it feels similar to past Carenado FDE's..  I understand also they are both asking for drastically different prices for their products but man, that extra money you're paying to A2A or the likes of RealAir etc makes a difference. 

Again.. The planes are fine. Great even because they are low priced, but they lack "it's living, breathing machine" feeling some of the other developers are so well versed at.

Look at the current prices of the RealAir aircraft.. not much extra money there..

Or maybe I've just been spoilt by A2A!

I think you need to keep this in perspective, the A2A aircraft cost me $80 for P3D version, the Alabeo cost me $27 for P3D version.  As such, my expectations are adjusted accordingly.

Also, the Alabeo aircraft just work in P3D.  The A2A has some growing pains and it's still not 100% P3D compatible even though I paid to get that.  Don't get me wrong, A2A is exceptional, but there is some "cashing in" going on ... fair enough, keeps them developing more aircraft.

Cheers, Rob.

Look at the current prices of the RealAir aircraft.. not much extra money there..

Holy heck... $15 for the Lancair is practically giving it away. I paid $47.05 at release

Also, the Alabeo aircraft just work in P3D.  The A2A has some growing pains and it's still not 100% P3D compatible even though I paid to get that.  Don't get me wrong, A2A is exceptional, but there is some "cashing in" going on ... fair enough, keeps them developing more aircraft.

Except for the strobe light problem, what other issues does it have? When they said "Native P3D Aircraft", I thought that this meant it was rebuilt for Prepar3D and fully compliant.

Holy heck... $15 for the Lancair is practically giving it away. I paid $47.05 at release

15€ actually, but I agree, a killer price.

I thought that this meant it was rebuilt for Prepar3D and fully compliant.

I think they just recompile with the P3D SDK ... I don't think they make any adjustments specifically for P3D.  Keep in mine Alabeo's beacon and all their lights work just fine in P3D.

The other issues are input device calibrations, parking brake stuck on, toe brake issues, startup procedures that make it much more difficult to start the aircraft than it really is (my FBO ground school has both the C172 and the Cherokee and they are not that difficult to start).  These are all minor issues and I've been able to work around them, but for $80 they really shouldn't exist.  I give a blind eye to them because the aircraft is so good in many other ways that it far out weighs the minor issues.

Cheers, Rob.

I think they just recompile with the P3D SDK ... I don't think they make any adjustments specifically for P3D.  Keep in mine Alabeo's beacon and all their lights work just fine in P3D.

The other issues are input device calibrations, parking brake stuck on, toe brake issues, startup procedures that make it much more difficult to start the aircraft than it really is (my FBO ground school has both the C172 and the Cherokee and they are not that difficult to start).  These are all minor issues and I've been able to work around them, but for $80 they really shouldn't exist.  I give a blind eye to them because the aircraft is so good in many other ways that it far out weighs the minor issues.

A2A said the strobe light will be fixed in 2.3, so I guess we can forget about that. But, are they even aware of those issues you described? If they make the startup procedure that hard (which is critical to the aircraft's performance), then they really need to be fixed.