Sign in to follow this  
Boeing or Im not going

Will we be able to use the EFB?

Now that we have weather radar coming to the 777, will there ever be an option to use the efb in the cockpit? A takeoff calculator and charts we can view?

That would be a great addition to make the airplane complete.

Robert Stein

No EFB due to a heavy amount of $$. However, I saw from the 777 facebook group a performance calculator is planned, but I'll let Devs at PMDG answer that.

3HSAJHT.png

TFDi Design

They could have a folder where you place your own pdf files and a takeoff calculator and that would be great.

Whilst this sounds simple, it is actually pretty difficult to do, the EFB would have to convert your PDF to BMP or DXT in real time to display it in sim. 

PDF Kneeboard viewer or some such.  At work cant check.

spacer.png

PMDG really isn't known for hack-job implementations.  If it's an EFB, it's going to require the ability for it to be updated and centrally managed.

Example:

PMDG added the weather datalink feature.  Sure, initially, the file required user input, but the fact that the format was out there allowed developers to include managed features (ASN will generate the file, as will PFPX).

Beyond that, there's the issue that you're better off using an external EFB for charts anyway.  Sure, performance calcs might be cool, but having an EFB in the sim, simply to have an EFB in the sim (disregarding the incredible difficulty that you're going to discover in trying to read charts on a tiny screen inside another tiny screen) doesn't quite make sense.  I still don't understand why simmers seem to be so hung up on this idea...

Kyle Rodgers

I still don't understand why simmers seem to be so hung up on this idea...

Because it would be neat?!...

Can't say I'd use it in sim, though. That's for sure.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

I still don't understand why simmers seem to be so hung up on this idea...

Probably because it would be a neat gadget to play with, a E170 series would keep the gadget folks occupied for a long while.

Except, it's not an EFB. It's a glorified picture viewer.

M also too confused as to why this efb thing.,,with the resolution that we have inside vc from where will we be able to see such small fonts in that chart and all..its much easier to have paper or on ipad..

Except, it's not an EFB. It's a glorified picture viewer.

I don't think he meant "that" one. The other one in Xplane.

PMDG really isn't known for hack-job implementations.  If it's an EFB, it's going to require the ability for it to be updated and centrally managed.

Example:

PMDG added the weather datalink feature.  Sure, initially, the file required user input, but the fact that the format was out there allowed developers to include managed features (ASN will generate the file, as will PFPX).

Beyond that, there's the issue that you're better off using an external EFB for charts anyway.  Sure, performance calcs might be cool, but having an EFB in the sim, simply to have an EFB in the sim (disregarding the incredible difficulty that you're going to discover in trying to read charts on a tiny screen inside another tiny screen) doesn't quite make sense.  I still don't understand why simmers seem to be so hung up on this idea...

And that's absolutely my view as well! It would not be handy at all. A performance calculator could be benefitial though since you'd use it like a CDU (maybe in a popup). 

I guess it would be a better move for PMDG to develop either their own EFB for Windows or an App for Tablets.