Sign in to follow this  

Solution to P3D v2.4 and v2.3 vertical cloud issue

Can't wait to get home from the office and actually ENJOY a flight again! Thanks Rob for being proactive for us and doing it the right way with permission. Cheers to that my friend  :drinks:

George Kyriazis | www.georgekonline.com

ELB729.png

Nope, cloud shadows are fine ... sound like you missed something.

I was referring to the 2.2 shader file that you have originally recommended...

BTW, tried the new file and it seems with the default 'stormy weather' the cloud rotations are unfortunately and obviously worse.
Did not try with AS or any other external prg.

I still have a few rotating clouds

BTW, tried the new file and it seems with the default 'stormy weather' the cloud rotations are unfortunately and obviously worse.

This fix was focused on correcting the vertical clouds.  With more realistic FOV (I don't use wideview either) I'm not seeing spinning clouds, only time I see spinning clouds is when I position a camera directly ON TOP and zoom out ... fortunately that's not a view I use too often.

Cheers, Rob.

With more realistic FOV

Rob, curious as to which field of view you use

position a camera directly ON TOP and zoom out

Can you explain this a little more?

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

Ryan

This fix was focused on correcting the vertical clouds. With more realistic FOV (I don't use wideview either) I'm not seeing spinning clouds, only time I see spinning clouds is when I position a camera directly ON TOP and zoom out ...

You are right Rob and the unwanted effect is way too much when using a smaller zoom value.
Nevertheless I could easily prove that using a 0.3 zoom and using the default stormy weather, the effect is much more visible.
This time the clouds are not exactly or almost turning vertically, rather horizontally which indeed gives a strange effect.
True the larger the zoom factor is, the less visible the unwanted effect becomes.

Potroh

Many thanks Rob,

downloaded your file and it is working pretty good no errors so far. I found an old copy of v2.2 so im gonna try that too.

Greetz

MJ

My youtube blog________________________Prepar3D v2.5/v3

youtubefooter.jpg

Here ya go, new file direct from LM

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw0Q-fAfEZwyaXRudXdZQ1BSbGc/view?usp=sharing

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks Rob/LM, works like a charm!

Does this qualify as a sneak preview of v2.5? If so, then I'm impressed. Those darn vertical clouds really bugged me. Mighty glad to be rid of them at last.

Cheers!

Mike

This fix was focused on correcting the vertical clouds.

Whatever LM did fixed the spinning cloud issue for me also. And .. now there are scud clouds here and there, but they look perfect. This is with ASN SP1B and REX 4 textures.

Made a video using LM's new Cloud.fx ... it looks pretty good to me, there are extreme angles and zooms and FOVs that will bring out some cloud rotation but I feel this solution is better than the vertical clouds.

Video also includes contrails and wing tip vortices ... there were some double contrails but these were two emitters that the folks at PrecipitFX had setup.  I made some adjustments to have just a single emitter for the contrails.

There are no vertical contrails ... only time I've seen that is when I've caused aircraft damage.

Cheers, Rob.

Very cool video, Rob. It is nice to see that the cloud issue has been fixed. Thank-You, Rob, and the crew at LM, for all your efforts to keep us fickle/demanding desk fliers, appeased. Now I just need to get my desktop rebuild, completed, so I can get back to flying. :P

Jazz

I made some adjustments to have just a single emitter for the contrails.

First of all, thanks for the cloud fix. Working great! Regarding the PrecipitFX contrails and wingtip vortices: Did you post your adjustments somewhere? If not, could you do it, please? On my system I also see dual contrails with some aircraft and the wingtip vortices are barely noticeable. Looks much better in your video.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Great that things are being worked on! Tried it, and indeed the rotation is far less obvious. On the other hand I get way more noticeable popping cloud shadows on the ground, and the clouds seem to have been enlarged (!?). Exact same weather (ASN) with the new Cloud.fx, and the clouds are going down all the way to and below ground level. This is at sea level or close to it.

Not complaining here, just sharing observations :)

I had a chance to do some testing last night and I didn't see anymore vertical clouds.  Additionally, the rotating cloud issue is either completely eliminated or reduced to the point where I couldn't notice.  I tested zoom levels between 0.30 and 0.40 without wide view angle.  Thank you Rob and LM!!

Unfortunately, and I have no idea if this is related, but I did get my first OOM of v2.4 last night on a flight from default KLAS to Latin VFR KSAN in the Aerosoft A320 which is a route I have flown with this plane at least 10 times with my current scenery and settings.  It could have been one of those freak things and completely unrelated to the cloud fix.  I'll keep my eye on it.

Ryan

Ryan