Sign in to follow this  
Pilot53

FSX VAS Testing - Memory Leak Fix Found

The issue of activating/deactivating scenery while in flight and it's affect on VAS is not, IMO, a memory leak.

What I have seen while testing addon airport scenery is that often the AI will reload when you make a change in the Scenery Library without removing the original AI load.

This results in double the AI in the sim. Do this a couple times during a sim session and I will see multiple planes occupying the same parking spots.

Bingo! That is absolutely true. One can easily test this by setting AI traffic off entirely.

I know that whenever I'm working on a new project during development, if I should happen to forget to disable AI while constantly "Reloading User Aircraft" I will inevitably wind up with an OOM after only a half-dozen reloads...

After turning off AI entirely, I can reload my WIP aircraft all day long without any such OOM event.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

That´s way it makes sense to control Ai from an external program like STB.

I have never done (de)activating sceneries while in beeing in a flight and never heard about it before. This is how I handle the sceneries in FSX quite successfully:

(De)activating the scenery in FSX libary with a Tool called "Scenery Config Editor" before starting FSX. Any unnecessary scenery/Cities will be deactivated. Also Orbx FTX Global/Vector/openLC. If I fly in Europe, only Europe Scenery files are activated. Because I don´t need Scenery files of Australia or Asia and so on. (Even FS Global 2010 FTX Compatible will be party disabled). This is an easy way to make quick changes in your scenery libary of FSX.

Another thing is, I don´t really have good experience in DX9, so I use DX10 with the fixer 2.6. I am still working on the NVI settings, but right now, with the lowest acceptable NVI options, I can achieve nearly 60 frames with the iFly 737 at cruising altitude. At the airport, let´s say AS Mega Munich about 35-40. With ASN Weather powered by REX4 and the new SoftClouds!

My FSX runs on the server, nothing more. Any other software like FSC, ASN, EFASS, SuperTrafficBoard and ProATC runs on the client. SuperTrafficBoard is able to control AI and that´s very useful, because I like MyTrafficX Pro 5.4c. Max setting for Traffic is about 21% in FSX. But if you use TrafficBoard you can/should start with 100% in FSX and let STB control the 100% down to maybe 25%. It all depends on the flightschedule and AFCAD how busy everything is. Any ground moving vehicles are off besides GSX. Parking/taxi/landing etc. AI Aircraft are visible.

Only once, and that´s when I started with FSX coming from a long FS9 ride, I had those crashes even before ASN came out. But since I use not too many sceneries in combination with DX10, I don´t have crashes anymore. My longest flight was from Athens to Frankfurt, round about 4-5 hours (strong headwind).

I am talking about iFly or Qualitywings. No PMDG or AS Airbus 319. In FS9 I used to fly the PMDG 737 and it´s a brilliant aircraft.

Coming back to the OOM issue. I don´t know how many hours I spend on tweaking FSX. In FS9 I used to fly online more often. Have a look in your FSX.CFG. My advice is not to change too many things. Lod Radius should be standard 4.5 and I don´t use 2048 or higher cloud textures. I can´t see the difference. FSX is made for 1024, everything else might be ######. I think most of you all already know the behaviour of your sim and maybe you are going a step too far in the setup.

FSX-MS still rules!

I got my VAS up to 3.5 monkeying around some tough sceneries and then I picked a direction and flew in a straight line over practically nothing...miles and miles of trees.  After an hour, my VAS was down to 3.4.  I then saved the flight, stopped FSX and reloaded the flight.  VAS was at 2.0...1.3 gig of VAS being wasted.  Seems that, once FSX gets it's hands on it, it really wants to keep it.  I'll be curious how P3D handles it when I get it reloaded when 2.5 comes out.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

There is a utility to cull double AI. It works great. I think it is in the avsim lib.Will check the name of it and post a link

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

There is a utility to cull double AI. It works great. I think it is in the avsim lib.Will check the name of it and post a link

Interesting - I was wondering about this since for the last three flights I have seen planes (identical ones I think) flying right next to each other (not all flights just a few). Including seeing 2 trying to land at the same time. I cut my UT2 sliders to 50% but still have seen it. This might be a reason for my recent poorly preforming sim.... one can only hope. :)

Wonder if it works with UT2 traffic also.

Cheers Julian - I will look too and check back here if I can not find it.

Rob

"Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it"

Here it is Rob, works with all AI UT@ WOAI and MTX etc http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=aidupe&FileName=&Author=&CatID=root

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

So in the end we came to realize that the true problem with VAS is that AI traffic causes it because when the sim reloads it will create duplicate AI traffic because it does not know better to understand that the AI traffic is already there.

Call me stupid but I think that is something that has been known for a long time and the reason why I no longer use AI. Its Vatsim or nothing for me honestly.

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

So in the end we came to realize that the true problem with VAS is that AI traffic causes it because when the sim reloads it will create duplicate AI traffic because it does not know better to understand that the AI traffic is already there.

Call me stupid but I think that is something that has been known for a long time and the reason why I no longer use AI. Its Vatsim or nothing for me honestly.

I didn't know about it...but then there's a lot I didn't know about VAS.  So there's that.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

the reason why I no longer use AI

Well, I posted a link with the fix, so the problem is rather academic.

This also is a must have http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=aicull&CatID=root&Go=Search

Reduces the amount of VAS used by a very high margin Not for UT2, as it has the feature in the UT2 config utility

Maybe I can contribute...At least for the UT2 guys.

For licensed users of Ultimate Traffic 2 there is an interesting thread in the private area of their forums (I can not copy it here and stay legit)

"How to MipMap your UT2 Aircraft properly"

It is in regards to MipMapping on UT2 AC. I have only just skimmed it so far and will look at it more when my guest leave next week. (Warning might be irrelevant since it is a 2010 posting).

Sounds like it may help performance.

Bad finger - you are a good finger in my book haha - Thanks for the link buddy.

Rob

"Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it"

Bad finger - you are a good finger in my book haha - Thanks for the link buddy

LOL thanks Rob. The mipmap of UT2 planes is a must, and still relevant.

I do not use ai, boat, or road traffic, I only load my destination and departure airport before starting fsx. I still get oom ding warnings from fsuipc after landing in the PMDG 777. This is after only installing fsx on a new drive. then ftx global. ftx openlc Europe. fsuipc. ASN. I have not even installed a mesh product yet. Why is FSX messing with me???

LOL thanks Rob. The mipmap of UT2 planes is a must, and still relevant.

Why mipmap of UT2 planes is a must? Never saw ANY performance or texture problems with UT2 planes in Dx10 with the Fixer.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Why mipmap of UT2 planes is a must? Never saw ANY performance or texture problems with UT2 planes in Dx10 with the Fixer.

No texture problems, not having mip map textures does not cause problems. By mip mapping the UT planes, you reduce the texture size by quite a considerable margin, thus reducing VAS usage etc etc. DX9 or DX10, does not matter. You don't notice visually any difference, and that would be why you find this confusing.

No texture problems, not having mip map textures does not cause problems. By mip mapping the UT planes, you reduce the texture size by quite a considerable margin, thus reducing VAS usage etc etc. DX9 or DX10, does not matter. You don't notice visually any difference, and that would be why you find this confusing.

Thanks. VAS is a good reason worth checking out how to mipmap, although I've never had any VAS or OOM problems.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.