Sign in to follow this  
zmak

Side by side testing FSX vs FSX-SE

So if I am doing a clean install in the near future, this is the sim to get? as opposed to the boxed version?

Can anyone comment on ORBX products, Majestic Q400, Carenado?

Thanks

Interesting and of course very good news how the SE seems to be improved looking at VAS usage but at the same time I'm a little bit surprised because the way I understood it DT said they were not allowed to do any changes to the core product and I don't understand how we could see this improvement without such a change?

Richard Åsberg

I believe DTG is not allowed to add new features to FSX, but they can optimize and tweak stuff.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

Ah, I see. Well, hats off to DT for managing to make such an improvement to such an old engine!

Richard Åsberg

I quite agree, that video really leaves no room for the naysayers to argue.  I too wanted to believe the best for this new version of our old, tired, worn out, tweaked-to-death, flying on the edge of your seat at approach after a 10 hour flight hoping not to OOM - flightsim....and I think this video should be referenced whenever we see "Oh its just the same sim, just in a different wrapper, no difference at all".

I actually find it both funny and sad that some want to expect the worst about FSX:SE, like bashing it somehow makes us all ashamed we spent FIVE FREAKIN' BUCKS on the thing! (If you got it during the Christmas sale).  My goodness, I spent more on coffee this morning than I did on a new version of my favorite pastime that will give me 1000s of hours of entertainment.

I say if all the naysayers are happy with FSX:MS and want to live in that version, by all means do so...just don't try to convince me that the 2 sims are the same.  I mean, if Pete Dawson is singing its praises and says they are different, who better to believe?

This all comes as I'm getting a killer system (after years of making due with all I could afford) on Friday.  FSX:SE will be a lone install on the new system.  Goodbye FSX:MS, :hi:  you were a great sim, but you've been replaced after years of great enjoyment.  Sending you to the software boneyard :lazy: (in keeping with our aviation theme here, like an old airliner retiring to the desert after its flown its last revenue flight)

Thank you for that reply,Steve. Having sat on the fence initially and then being away in Australia, I have just bought it and am downloading it in the last hour. Your post makes me feel a darn sight better that even though I may have missed that $5 Sale, and it has cost me more, now, nevertheless, I have bought an improvement to what you have so aptly described.

I believe DTG is not allowed to add new features to FSX, but they can optimize and tweak stuff.

I don't want to derail the thread but, dear lord, Microsoft won't let them add features?  With all these restrictions it seems like it's inevitable that X-Plane or some other sim would have to pass FSX at some point.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I don't want to derail the thread but, dear lord, Microsoft won't let them add features?  With all these restrictions it seems like it's inevitable that X-Plane or some other sim would have to pass FSX at some point.

Well, they've had over 8 years to do that already!

Anyway, it's the add-ons which really develop FSX. Just compare what it can look like now to what it looked like on release!

All we need is a good reliable high performing base on which to add stuff, and FSX-SE is just that bit much better -- and the only improvement to the base in 8 years! ;-). If DTG can continue to improve reliability and performance then I'm sure that will please most of us.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Well, they've had over 8 years to do that already!

I know, right?!  Astonishing that they haven't caught up.  But, as you say and it's true, it's the add-on developers that keep pushing FSX forward.  Even so, XPlane could have pushed in that direction as well.

Anyway, it's the add-ons which really develop FSX. Just compare what it can look like now to what it looked like on release!

All we need is a good reliable high performing base on which to add stuff, and FSX-SE is just that bit much better -- and the only improvement to the base in 8 years! ;-). If DTG can continue to improve reliability and performance then I'm sure that will please most of us.

Pete

Yes.  I've thought, from time to time, that if someone broke FSX into parts that it would be better.  Have a globe part that has all the land, water and scenery (think, Google Earth)...an air/weather part that moves weather and the air...a flight dynamics part that managed the airplane dynamics (and, perhaps, AI).  Perhaps that's kind of what FSX did under the covers...dunno.

But, I most heartily agree...the FSX-SE improvement looks like it may be huge.  It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see boxed edition be almost completely dead by Christmas (there's always the holdouts).  Every CTD they tackle will add more fuel to that fire!

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Interesting video using the PMDG777. What I suspect many will want to know (myself included) is is it now possible to fly the PMDG777 from Aerosoft Heathrow Xtended to a major US airport such as Flightbeam's KIAD without encountering OOMs.

That would be a wonderful achievement by Dovetail in tweaking the code. Or am I being unrealistic??? :(

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Thank you for that reply,Steve. Having sat on the fence initially and then being away in Australia, I have just bought it and am downloading it in the last hour. Your post makes me feel a darn sight better that even though I may have missed that $5 Sale, and it has cost me more, now, nevertheless, I have bought an improvement to what you have so aptly described.

NP Rick,

Sorry you didn't get in on the $5 buy, but I don't think you'll regret your purchase regardless.

I can tell you my performance has been great with FSX:SE, although I am running it on a brand new, super decked out laptop I just got so there may be a "little" placebo there for me :rolleyes:. 

However I'm experiencing the same results with vas management, which with tubliners like the PMDG 777, is the real benefit! (the model has an extremely high poly count, which contributes to the issue).

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

I'm just wondering - in the recent PMDG 777 video test at KLAX, isn't the poster using an weather engine? I thought Active Sky Next didn't work for FSX:SE yet.

Anyway, this is of course good news for us awaiting the NGX update since it will (probably) behave by similar means. Also, I'm glad videos are coming in using the heavy add ons. People, including me, have been very skeptic, but we have nothing else to do than just to lie flat. Hats off!

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

...is it now possible to fly the PMDG777 from Aerosoft Heathrow Xtended to a major US airport such as Flightbeam's KIAD without encountering OOMs.

That's perfectly possible in FSX-MS - at least for me. With ASN, GSX, full set of Orbx products, maybe it's the DX10 Fixer that makes it possible it for me?

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

I'm just wondering - in the recent PMDG 777 video test at KLAX, isn't the poster using an weather engine? I thought Active Sky Next didn't work for FSX:SE yet.

ASN isn't the only weather engine out there.  All the engines that use simconnect to inject weather will work...ASN uses a module that has to be rewritten for use in FSX-SE.

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

That's perfectly possible in FSX-MS - at least for me. With ASN, GSX, full set of Orbx products, maybe it's the DX10 Fixer that makes it possible it for me?

DX10 is not something I've considered. Not sure if all the scenery I have is DX10-compatible. And the level of Ai makes a difference too. Do you use a traffic package? I use MTX with 40%. I wouldn't want to have to kill the Ai to retain sufficient VAS memory.

I suppose once more PMDG777 pilots report back with the SE version the answer will become clear.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Interesting video using the PMDG777. What I suspect many will want to know (myself included) is is it now possible to fly the PMDG777 from Aerosoft Heathrow Xtended to a major US airport such as Flightbeam's KIAD without encountering OOMs.

That would be a wonderful achievement by Dovetail in tweaking the code. Or am I being unrealistic??? :(

I flew from FSDT KIAH to LatinVFR KMIA V2 with Drzwecki Miami City in the 777 on the Miami vatsim event yesterday and made it will no problems using the same settings I posted in the video. When I landed my vas was 3.8gb. Granted  I would never fly with such high settings my that was just a test to see how would it do and it did pretty good

Anyway, this is of course good news for us awaiting the NGX update since it will (probably) behave by similar means. Also, I'm glad videos are coming in using the heavy add ons. People, including me, have been very skeptic, but we have nothing else to do than just to lie flat. Hats off!

I was using OpusFSI until ASN is ready