Sign in to follow this  
~Craig~

I think I am the happiest man on the planet today :)

Warning:  this is a happy, excited simmer thread, at the levels of Sesquatoo's !!   Look away if you don't have a sick bucket to hand!!

(only kidding Mitch) :smile:

I've been using a ATI/AMD HD 7850 2GB with FSX for a couple of years, and from the outset, found it an underwhelming, poor card.    But I had no budget to upgrade, or get back in to the nVidia game.

Suddenly this week, I was offered a nVidia GTX 670 2GB from a friend, at a price too good to miss.  I know this is a very average card by today's standards, but you've got to understand just how bad things were with FSX with the AMD card, to understand the experience I've had tonight.

With the 7850, all airliner flying whether in the NGX, Airbus A320, etc, all had to be done with autogen at Sparse. It's been like that for so long.   Even with GA, Carenado aircraft etc, and in Orbx sceneries, Autogen at Normal was the highest I could ever go ..... because I use TrackIR, and as any TIR user will tell you, you need at least 28-30 FPS because of the head movements affecting the rendered view.

I did not have high expectations moving to the GTX 670 2GB but what I have done for the last few days is gather every bit of info I could (90% of it from AVSIM), on how to best set up the new card.   I downloaded the latest drivers and nVidia Inspector (an amazing tool).  I set everything up so carefully.  I went for a full fresh re-install of FSX (to ensure new shaders etc as well as the fresh FSX.CFG).. I tweaked the fsx.cfg conservatively but in the key areas that were recommended.  

I fired up FSX and ...... WOW! ....... it is a different world for me.   I think a huge part of it is down to ATI cards' terrible handling of vsync (which is 100% required for TrackIR users).  With the ATI card I had to have the vsync fix applied to the fsx.cfg, which cost (in my case) around 8 FPS on it's own.   Add in some other factors as well as the ability to tune in a more targetted way due to Nvidia Inspector, and the difference has been staggering.

I can fly all of my Carenado / Alabeo type aircraft with autogen set to max, along with pretty much all other settings on max.

Even the RealAir T-Duke 2.0 is giving me 40 FPS, with FSX settings mainly on max, over downtown Rochester, NY.

I haven't installed any scenery yet, but here I am over default KROC, upstate NY, with autogen at max.  It's just the default trike, but with the 7850 card, I would have had perhaps 20 FPS in this scenario - because of the autogen.        Here, with the 670, I had a solid 60 FPS in this scenario.   :smile:

3333210.jpg

I know most of you are running far more powerful systems than this, and that there's nothing exceptional about what I am seeing here, but my reason for posting was to say to anyone using a ATI/AMD graphics card with FSX, do ANYTHING you need to, to get a nVidia card!!!!!   Sell your granny, the family silver or shovel snow for pocket money ......... just do anything you need to, to move to nVidia.

EDIT:  I have just reinstalled the Carenado Citation II, that I could barely run with my old card (15 FPS over KROC, with sparse autogen) ...... I have autogen on Very Dense, and over KROC I have 38 FPS solid.  That will do me nicely. 

All of this is DX9 by the way, and yes, at this point I am back using MS FSX, as I want to try out the new card with some PMDG etc. :wink:  ... DX10 tests will follow (again, it was a non-starter with the ATI card).

Happy Days. :smile:

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

As an ATi/AMD card user myself I can say that I really, truly understand your feelings right now and that I envy you so, so much  :P

good for you Craig !!!  Enjoy your Nvidia. I'll be crying in a fetal position with my AMD card.

As an ATi/AMD card user myself I can say that I really, truly understand your feelings right now and that I envy you so, so much  :P

:lol:  .... thank you guys.   and sorry to rub it in! ...... but I did serve my time in the AMD prison  :ph34r:  :smile:

I've used both a GTX780 and an AMD7950 in recent times and can say without hesitation that, for me, the 7950 is, by far, the better performer. Ford is better that Chevy! Lamborghini is better that Ferrari! Flamesuit on.........

Doug

I'd been an ATI/AMD guy for years before finally biting the bullet and switching a few years back and yes...  Nvidia really is the way to go for FSX.  The ONLY way to go.

Welcome to the green side of the aisle. :lol:

Scott

3333210.jpg

I can see my house!  (And I live in North Carolina...LOL.)

OP...too true.  Recently switched from a 7950 to a GTX970 (ignored my own advice about waiting for GM210) and the difference is night and day.

Nvidia has the crown.

Good for you!, I love reading stories like this.  Makes you appreciate what you have....Good Luck and have fun flying!!

It's great to read posts by happy flight simmers. Way to go, Craig! The new card will probably kick butt with other games too (though nothing beats FSX). 

Hi,

I'm running an AMD HD6850 with an AMD 4 core 3.6GHz proc. Autogen and scenery at max and frames locked at 40.  The only edits to my FSX.cfg are Highmem, Texture bandwidth at 400 (up from 40), most traffic at 15 - 20% except ships at max.  1920x1080 32.  Here are some pictures over KROC.

j5xIi.jpg

VrA8o.jpg

c53mi.jpg

Gf8mB.jpg

mh1AP.jpg

I've always had better performance with AMD. At one time I submitted my fsx.cfg to some online site for tweaking and the results were laughable.  Really.  I checked out the performance in an area which I use for testing and started laughing at how bad the performance was.  In all fairness I think the site was mainly for NVidia.  I do use Gamebooster to prevent unnecessry background tasks from running and run FSX at high priority. Go figure, huh?

Jim F.

edit: I forgot that I do have Force full screen Vsync enabled.

I was a AMD 5870 fan, however I switched to a GTX680 and I never looked backed.. Yes, NVidia all the way when comes to FSX...

Only hope to upgrade to a 980 later in the year.

so +1 Craig....

I have a radoen 5850 hd. Never had any problems....I'm lucky I guess

Hi Craig,

You don't need to look any further beyond that 670 you've got.  I got a new rig with an EVGA 780sc last August and the video card blew up (literally) after about a week.  Since it took a couple of weeks to get the replacement (under guarantee, thankfully) and I couldn't stay without FSX that long, I borrowed a 670 from a friend.  Well, although I'm now back with the 780 I can't say I see any difference in performance at all, and that's with a 4790k processor at 4GHz.   Standard FSX, DX9, at least - I didn't see significant improvements with DX10 so turned it off again.

The gtx670 is still a very good card, I've been running one since they were launched.

I'm running a GTX670 OC 2mb card in the last FSX rig I built in 2012 and it's been a great card for FSX. I see no need to upgrade until I move to a different platform like P3D that utilizes the GPU more, plus I don't play any games so it suites my needs fine.

Prior to that I ran a GTS250 1gb with an OC'ed E8400, on 32bit XP with 2 Ram and even it performed well. The only draw back was texture loading was slow when switching views. Funny thing is I ran that system with the NGX for while and never had an OOM with only 2GB of system memory. Guess I've been lucky to never having been plagued with OOMs like a lot of folks here.

Thanks for all the kind comments.   I am still in the honeymoon phase; just flew the NGX from FlyTampa Vienna to FlyTampa Athens, with autogen at Very Dense for the whole flight, plenty AI, thick Opus weather, and 40 FPS.  (ok, 34 on the ground in the airports :wink:)  

.....previously, with the HD 7850, I would have had to have set autogen to sparse for this flight, and would probably have had 23 FPS in the airports, and maybe 29 in the air.

PS..... just want to clarify, I'm not putting forward a nVidia vs AMD/ATI notion with this thread.  I was honestly just talking about one man's experience and how "great performance" is really relative, rather than objective.

I do detest the HD 7850 card  :lol:  but I've had other AMD cards that ....well.... weren't too bad.   Will never get one again though.  I only do flight simming (no other gaming) so will stick with nVidia.   This 670 really is so much better than I was expecting.

Thank you to everyone who offers tweaking and set up help too though.  Information is power!!!  :smile:

I've always used Nvidia cards with all versions of MS flight simulator.  A couple of years ago, I had a video card go and borrowed a fairly high end Radion for a few days whilst I was awaiting my new Nvidia card.

I could never set up the Radion to run FSX well at all and thought the graphics were terrible.

That's not to say that AMD cards are bad, just that i'ts always been clear that MS flight sims work much better with Nvidia.

IAN

Hi Craig,

It wasn't my intention to rain on your parade.  I'm just baffled as to why I get the performance I do with AMD cards.  Up until 4 years ago I'd alternate between NVidia and AMD on about a 2 year cycle  (it was pretty much what was on sale at Fry's when the bug struck). A new NVidia would result in a considered reaction that the performance was better; An AMD resulted in a "Whoa!" reaction.  Pretty subjective but true none the less.  I do have an area in which I repeatedly fly in order to evaluate performance and have always gotten far better performance with AMD.

You're 7850 should give better performance than my 6850 and there must be some other factor in play; I just can't imagine what it might be.

What do you intend to do with that dog of a 7850 video card?  I might be interested.

Jim F.